LBZ - Modification List

Eddie_Rooskie

Sep 2, 2019
Hey guys,

To keep things relatively short; long time lurker of this forum as my dream has always been to one day purchase an older diesel truck. Something about the classic designs have always intrigued me and once I started doing my research I realized there's a reason the pre-emission trucks go for a pretty penny. This is pretty much the forum that taught me what I know today about diesel trucks, how they run, and how to get the most out of the car/engine.

With that being said, the day has finally come where I'm right around the corner from finally pulling the trigger on a 2006 LBZ and I couldn't be more excited. I've set a good chunk of change aside for upgrades and after reading countless hours on turbo debates (fixed, variable, compound), whose the best tuner, what transmission builder to go with, etc... I wanted to get some feedback on what you guys would do with a fresh, stock truck.

Money not being an object, what route would you do take and what parts would you use to build your dream daily truck?

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
Carrillo’s, fingers pistons, af cam, 150 overs, 12mm pump, HSP piping, wither a 5 blade s468 or 68stg2r with a 5 blade s485 over it. Profab manifolds and up pipes. Twin Kennedy pumps. Limitless trans. If fixed vane, tuned by Blake, VGT tuned by Mark. 4” lift, deaver mini pack in rear with sulastics, 33s, (we won’t talk about wheel size) built front end, caltracs

Oh, and 01-02 front clip swap.

Eddie_Rooskie

Sep 2, 2019
Seeing how I’m in Florida, would you consider Suncoast for the trans? I’ve seen some mixed reviews here and there but mostly positive... and they’re local.

I heard the 68stg2r is pretty solid throughout the whole RPM range. If you’re dailying, do you think Marks 72mm is impracticle? That thing just sounds so sweeeet.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
For a daily, keep it to a 525hp truck. You'll have loads of fun on the street, beat most everything that tries to keep up, and it'll be a heck of a lot more reliable than a truck with more power.

Since its an LBZ, if you do want to build it...pistons, rods, crank, larger injectors, 12mm CP3 and twins and the supporting mods for those things.

Yes, Suncoast for the trans, unless you want to send your trans to Evan or Mike.

Moved to LBZ section, too.

Last edited:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I would pay the truck off first. Then I would buy a second vehicle. Then I would figure out what I wanted to do with the truck before I made any other decisions.

Eddie_Rooskie

Sep 2, 2019
It seems like the general concensus on pistons is mahle or fingers and carillo for rods, would you agree? And as far as larger injectors go, if I’m going to be in that 500-600hp range how much over should I be looking into?

I honestly only hear great things about those two for transmissions and I’m almost inclined to just bite the bullet and send it out.

The plan would really be to overbuild the internals in case I get the itch and want to add more power later on. Might as well lay down the framework up front and save my self the hassle later on.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
If you’re looking for 500-600hp, build your trans, get an aftermarket y bridge/cold side, and run a max effort tune. If you want to put in a turbo run something like a 3794. Stock fuel is plenty to get this. As far as bottom end, with good tuning and as long as you’re not constantly beating on it, in the 550 range you’re fairly safe. Not bulletproof by any means but not playing with too much fire.

Suncoast are good trans

As far as building it now, you’re going to have a LOT of time and money in something you may never use. There are guys running stupid numbers on stock bottom ends and they’re holding. Is this playing with fire? Absolutely. As stated before, good tuning is crucial. If you’re dead set on building the bottom end, run budget rods and cut stock lb7 pistons.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
you didnt say how many miles are on the truck currently.

i would do as josh said but one step further, Fix the worn out parts. IE, steering, suspension, t-case rebuild, u-joints, diff fluids/inspection, and so on.

put some billet parts in the trans if you plan to hit 4 digit numbers

engine can get out of hand fast. your best to put a budget up because i highly doubt you have 100-150k to spend on that truck for an all out build at this moment.

Eddie_Rooskie

Sep 2, 2019
I would pay the truck off first. Then I would buy a second vehicle. Then I would figure out what I wanted to do with the truck before I made any other decisions.

Are you implying that the upgrades to the truck will make it unreliable? I've always had two vehicles in the past, usually a truck and a classic weekend-mobile but I'd really like to consolidate into one car that can always put a smile on my face. Speed and utility in one package :).

If you’re looking for 500-600hp, build your trans, get an aftermarket y bridge/cold side, and run a max effort tune. If you want to put in a turbo run something like a 3794. Stock fuel is plenty to get this. As far as bottom end, with good tuning and as long as you’re not constantly beating on it, in the 550 range you’re fairly safe. Not bulletproof by any means but not playing with too much fire.

Suncoast are good trans

As far as building it now, you’re going to have a LOT of time and money in something you may never use. There are guys running stupid numbers on stock bottom ends and they’re holding. Is this playing with fire? Absolutely. As stated before, good tuning is crucial. If you’re dead set on building the bottom end, run budget rods and cut stock lb7 pistons.

I'm not planning on going crazy with any of the upgrades but my main focus is really solidifying the bottom end and internals so I'm capable of adding more power when I do decide to go that route.

For the Y-bridge is Wehrli a good option to look into? It seems like they make good shit. Also, at 600hp is a fuel pump something I should look into? I'd rather over-build once than being constantly adding parts over the course of time.

you didnt say how many miles are on the truck currently.

i would do as josh said but one step further, Fix the worn out parts. IE, steering, suspension, t-case rebuild, u-joints, diff fluids/inspection, and so on.

put some billet parts in the trans if you plan to hit 4 digit numbers

engine can get out of hand fast. your best to put a budget up because i highly doubt you have 100-150k to spend on that truck for an all out build at this moment.

Truck currently has 85,xxx miles, pretty much a baby in this world. Those are all items I have on the checklist before I start going crazy with other mods, including rubberized bits that are prone to decay.

4 digit numbers is probably a stretch if I want to daily the truck and I think at that point it becomes more of a chore to keep the truck running properly. I want some level of reliability if I'm driving approx. 15k miles a year.

May have gotten carried away with the "no budget" but after the purchase of the truck I'd say 30k is a bit more realistic in the near future.