LBZ into a ZF-6 LB7 Truck. Help?

DWillms

Dec 29, 2010
Hey everyone, posting this for my dad. He currently has a truck with a blown LB7 motor, with the ZF-6 manual 6spd. Just trying to figure out how to swap in another motor. We haven't purchased the replacement motor yet, but for only a few extra $'s there is a much lower mileage LBZ available instead of throwing in a higher mileage LB7 (~ 50,000km vs 200,000km), and we're trying to find out if it's worth it.

I assume the LB7 swap will be basically a direct swap, using the old ECM, etc, and just throwing in the new motor?

Now as far as the LBZ swap, I've found a few posts on here that say there are a couple pins you need to swap on the wiring harness as well as adding a couple wires for GMLAN (in addition to the "physical" things like the new gas pedal, etc.). I was just wondering what additional complications there will ve when a ZF-6 is to be used. I know the LBZ's never came with the ZF-6, so is the only real route to use a custom tuner? If so, what unit needs to be purchased, most guys on here seem to be using EFILive?

Thanks in advance for the help!

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
That's is old info. EFI Live can now full flash an LBZ ECM. ;).

As to the wiring differences I have nothing to offer there. Good luck.

dirttymaxx

Nov 15, 2010
sharpsburg,ky
i dont think the lb7 ecm will hold all the files you will need to do this swap,lb7 is a fixed turbo,lly/lbz/lmm are vvt turbo's mite want to do more checking on this 1st.

and i dont think you can swap out the ecm's but i could be wrong.

now you mite could do this but you will need EFI LIVE,
run a fixed turbo stocker or some thing bigger what ever
swap over the crank timming gear,and some sensors from the LB7 to the lbz
you may have to do some work on the FPR to get it not to lope at idle. "efi live"
mod the injector plug ends for the LBZ sticks "get harnnes from doner truck"
run the lb7 front brackets for a/c etc
you may have to change the mass air flow sensor in the tuning
remove the egr from new motor " block off plates"
boost sensor relocate maybe

im sure theirs more i just cant think of it right now

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Id think you'd basically need everything physical underhood from the donor:
Engine/Intake & intercooler plumbing/fan shroud/ etc
Engine wiring harnesses/computers
LBZ throttle pedal

Then run the communications wiring and use EFI to reprogram the ECM as was stated earlier.

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
Voice of Reason,party pooper!

Depending whats "blown" in the motor seems it would be cheaper and easier just to rebuild the LB7 when all things are said and done. Then you have a fresh motor.

Even and or a short block from a later model year IF the block is toast. That's what I'd do unless your looking for a project,major one at that.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
I'm pretty sure the actual ECM from an lbz will NOT just plug into the lb7 harness. They're different plugs iirc.

Kudos if you try this but I wouldn't if I were you. Just put a fresh lb7 back in or MAYBE check with Rick Lance on details of switching to an lly in the 03-04 lb7 trucks. He's done it! ;)