LB7: Lbz head swap on lb7

kking

~only stock for now~
Mar 20, 2013
Il
Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? Wanting to build a motor here in the near future. Thought about using lbz heads on a lb7 so I can get away from the infamous lb7 injectors yet keep the simplicity of the lb7 motor itself. I know this had been done but don't know what all needs to be done?

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
The injectors are physically different, but usable. Tuning for the LLY injectors sucks with a lb7 ecm, but it's doable. Or rebuild the harness to use a LLY ECM and FICM...it's easier than it sounds....

The OP wanted to use LBZ heads in lieu of LLY heads in his swap though...which can be done with lly injectors.

95 z71

SUDDEN IMPACT
Aug 11, 2009
Cavan, Ontario
You will need heads, injectors, rails, fuel lines, moded injector harnesses and tuning.
Plus alot of other small stuff. A donor engine would save you a lot of searching.
With an 04 you could do a complete lly swap.

kking

~only stock for now~
Mar 20, 2013
Il
Thanks for the input. Ill prob just end up using a early lly heads. I read on another forum if you use the lbz electronics you will have to change the reluctor wheel and use one from a lbz, along with a bunch of other stuff. And if I used a lly ECM and the lb7 tcm what kind of special tuning would have to be done.

RPM Motorsports

smokinum
May 13, 2008
Central Valley Ca.
Thanks for the input. Ill prob just end up using a early lly heads. I read on another forum if you use the lbz electronics you will have to change the reluctor wheel and use one from a lbz, along with a bunch of other stuff. And if I used a lly ECM and the lb7 tcm what kind of special tuning would have to be done.

If your truck is an 01-02 you have a bunch of work ahead of you. LLY top end, lb7 FICM and ECM with a shit ton of tuning. LBZ injectors you will never get to fully function 100% correct. You can re wire the whole truck to do a "correct" swap for either an LLY or LBZ, and use factory tuning also. Either way 01-02 trucks are no fun the first time..

03-04.5 truck drop in an LLY with LLY electronics and ECM, emergency re learn and your good to go. (fuel tank gauge will read backward until changed with Efi)

03-06 can have and Lbz swap also if you use Lbz electronics and convert the Trans to 6spd.