LBZ front diff slop

LBZ_Baker98

Jul 8, 2016
Texas
Have a 07 LBZ 192K miles, 4 wheel drive works great but I heard one slight pop when spooling up to do a 4 wheel launch the other day. I hopped under the truck to just check things out and found some slop in the diff where the CV shaft bolts. The other side has a little slop but not near this much. I checked a buddy's LMM and his didn't have near the slop mine does. I heard some slack is normal but I feel like this is excessive and there might be an issue.
Here is video of the issue. Thanks for any input

https://youtu.be/7aHQmq4Spag

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
Just from what I've seen, the radial play you have there is about normal, the axial play though is not. The good part about that is, the circlip that holds that short shaft seems likely broken, making disassembly much easier!

What does the fluid look like?

LBZ_Baker98

Jul 8, 2016
Texas
Just from what I've seen, the radial play you have there is about normal, the axial play though is not. The good part about that is, the circlip that holds that short shaft seems likely broken, making disassembly much easier!

What does the fluid look like?

Fluid is a little dark but nothing abnormal IMO. If it's just the circlip does it need to be addressed right away or can it wait. Do I just remove the CV shaft then slide the short shaft out and replace the circlip and pop the short shaft back in?

rickcdewitt

Jun 6, 2017
State of jefferson
Depends on if you want broken clip parts wandering around in your diff......

Hopefully its like mine and it just popped out of place. Maybe try giving it a couple whacks with a mallet to reseat. Safe bet would be to unbolt the cv and remove and inspect the stubshaft/clip though.