LB7: LB7 Starts but will not run

jbstephenson

wishin'
Jul 29, 2012
Annapolis, MD
Did some work on the truck today, pulling an old hard wired radar detector power supply out. Truck ran perfectly yesterday and I did this first thing today before I went anywhere. I had the detector wired through an add-a-fuse in the RR WPR fuse spot in the under hood fuse box. Upon removal and getting everything back together the truck will not run. It will start up but it shut off within a 2-3 seconds. None of my gauges work either, but the glow plug light works, no other lights on dash. Deleted factory fuel filter when I did AirDog/Injectors this past December. Any ideas on what this might be?

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
What other electrical did you touch when you were working on it, b/c that would be the first thing Id be testing.

Moved this thread to LB7 area, too.

jbstephenson

wishin'
Jul 29, 2012
Annapolis, MD
I had to pull the fuse block cover up but other than that I didn't mess with anything. I pulled the add-a-fuse out and it wont start. But as I mentioned before the sleeves to fit a fuse in that spot aren't there. So lost about my next move and I need my truck this weekend.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I'd pull the cover back off and see if any wires are bare/broken. If something shorted when you wiggled everything around, it could have popped a fuse. Check the large maxi-fuses under the cover while you are in there.

The starting then shutting off after a couple seconds indicates a Theft Lock problem. Since most of the cab electronics aren't powering on, I'm guessing the BCM isn't powering on either, and if it doesn't send the Theft Lock code to the ECU, the truck will do as you describe.

drbird123

Jul 15, 2010
I just fixed mine today, I had to do the VATS a couple times to make it work but now she's running. Here is the procedure.

Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON, vehicle will not start.
Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes, the vehicle is now ready to relearn the PasslockTM Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next transition from OFF to CRANK.
Important: The vehicle learns the PasslockTM Sensor Data Code and/or password on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.
Start the engine, the vehicle has now learned the PasslockTM Sensor Data Code and/or password. With a scan , clear any DTCs if needed, DTCs will self clear after 100 ignition cycles

jbstephenson

wishin'
Jul 29, 2012
Annapolis, MD
I pulled the cover back off today, and it looked like a wire had rubbed bare and I guess it shorted out and blew my SEO IGN fuse. Patched the wire up and popped a new fuse in and she's good to go! Thanks for the help guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I pulled the cover back off today, and it looked like a wire had rubbed bare and I guess it shorted out and blew my SEO IGN fuse. Patched the wire up and popped a new fuse in and she's good to go! Thanks for the help guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didnt get a chance to reply back earlier, but thats kinda what I figured had happened....or maybe a wire had pulled out of a connector j-u-s-t enough to not make good contact and cause the issue.

Glad you got her back on the road. :)