LB7 Short block in an LMM truck

Bradsaganddiesel

Oct 6, 2021
Let me start by saying I'm new here. I am a Diesel tech but I deal with ag and heavy equipment. I searched this but I can't find a definite answer.
I have a 2010 LMM that has a broken crank. I have a LB7 short block sitting here that I imagine needs freshened. Can I use the LB7 short block and put my LMM top end and electronics on it? I've been looking all over about this and seems that the reluctor wheel on the crank needs changed and I assume I would use the balancer and flexplate for the LB7?

Not looking to go wild with this build, probably just a 60-100 hp tow tune is all. Has anyone done this or know if it will work?

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
The inner shroud will not bolt up. The older blocks don’t have the provisions threaded in the block.

and reluctor wheel needs changed/ modified

rfletes79

Mar 5, 2010
Galt, Ca 95632
It’ll work.

Yes you need to change the reluctor wheel. Oil pan needs to come off for this. Which means so does the flexplate. Yes use the balancer and flexplate from the lb7, your LMM stuff is wrong. Depending on the year of your lb7 will dictate which eop sensor to use. It needs to match the LMM eop sensor.

You’ll need the coolant elbow from the LMM engine connected to the outlet of oil cooler, also the pipe that connects to this elbow.

Front cover is different too where the water pump bolts on. You can hold the LMM pump up to the lb7 cover and see what needs to happen, just drill a new hole in the water pump. There’s also a oil return line on the passenger side of the lb7 cover that will need to be blocked. It’s normally connected to the ccv system in the passenger side accessory bracket on the lb7. You need a good plug on/in that fitting. A simple vacuum port cap will fail over time and cause an oil leak.

Dipstick is different, transfer it. Cp3, transfer it, fpr is different.

There may be a few things I’m missing but just use everything from the heads up and you’re good. I’ve done this multiple times with an Lly short block with no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk