Lb7 oil pump

DuramxMan

Aug 10, 2016
AUBURN, GA
Putting lb7 back together and was wondering about oil pump and oil cooler. What is the best oil pump and oil cooler to put back on?

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Putting lb7 back together and was wondering about oil pump and oil cooler. What is the best oil pump and oil cooler to put back on?

Direct fit the LBZ/LMM style pump is an upgrade due to left handed thread on the shaft. If you're willing to do some clearance on the pump you can run the LML pump/pickup tube and gain some additional volume.

As for oil the oil cooler, you can run the 17-19 cooler and continue to use the same oil filters you have now or you can run the 2020 cooler with the 2020 filter. To run the 2020 you will need the cooler, elbow, and gasket from GM. With the 2020 cooler you will also have to trim a heat shield tab on the manifold if running factory manifolds. I cannot confirm on aftermarket manifolds and the 2020 cooler. The 01-16 cooler has 10 plates, 17-19 has 14 plates, and 2020 has 20 plates.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
What do you mean by clearance? Does the pump have to be spaced out or what?

The pump needs to be machined to clear the front cover or you can run the LML cover/hub and space your accessories out. I believe KidTurbo machined his pumps on the boat built and that is also the route I am taking on my pump.