Lb7 blue smoke...

laser45v

Aug 1, 2014
Hey guys. My Lb7 just turned over 227,000 the other day. I have been noticing though that the last few days after idling for a few minutes in a drive thru or something like that my truck starts to smoke blue. Then when I pull out it dumps blue smoke for probably 10 seconds then clears up. It will do this every time I stop. Any clues to what this could be? Rumor has it that it has needed head gaskets but have continued to have same power and no change for the last 30k miles so I doubt its that. People have been saying maybe injector or injector cup. I do not have any access to any type of programmer. So any other tricks to diagnose this problem? Thanks

laser45v

Aug 1, 2014
Okay. Is there any way to differ between injector cups and head gaskets? It only loses a little bit of antifreeze and never gets over 210° even while pulling a trailer. Just don't want to do the head gaskets if I don't have to. Plan in selling the truck and just wanna fix this blue smoke issue so it doesn't look that bad.

Mike_S

OOPS!
Nov 18, 2009
Idaho
The blue smoke and coolant loss are likely 2 separate issues. Coolant loss as you stated could be from the head gaskets or the cups if it's not leaving drips on the ground. Run the truck up to temperature, and feel the upper radiator hose, if it's rock hard you have a compression leak into the coming system, you can verify this with a dissolved hydrocarbon test. As far as which it is, cups or gaskets, no way to tell until your into the engine. Running with leaking head gaskets can erode the sealing surfaces and give you even bigger issues.

As for the blue smoke, with that many miles my money is on shot injectors. You can have a balance rate test and return rate test done, but it's a pretty safe bet you're due for replacements.

Sent From God Knows Where...