LB7 Airdog lift pump install questions

six5creed

Jan 6, 2016
N.C.
I got an Airdog lift pump to put in sometime on my 2003 GMC. I have a couple leaks in the lines at my fuel cooler.

1-Will the cooler be needed when I install the lift pump?
2-Do I run a rubber line from the lift pump to the quick connect connection at the valve cover feeding the injection pump?
3-Can I run a new return line in rubber to the tank from the injection pump or would I be better off to get new hard lines and put them on when I install the lift pump?

Sorry for the newbie questions but I'm learning :)

Last edited:

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I got an Airdog lift pump to put in sometime on my 2003 GMC. I have a couple leaks in the lines at my fuel cooler.

1-Will the cooler be needed when I install the lift pump?
2-Do I run a rubber from the lift pump to the quick connect connection at the valve cover feeding the injection pump?
3-Can I run a new return line in rubber to the tank from the injection pump or would I be better off to get new hard lines and put them on when I install the lift pump?

Sorry for the newbie questions but I'm learning :)

1A) Needed? Open to opinion but if you keep the tank above half you should be fine unless you're towing heavy in extremely hot climates. I personally like them being in place to combat fuel temperatures as CP3 size increases and overall fuel returned increases.

2A) This is your choice. The AirDog/FASS kits intend for you to unhook the quick connect at the front edge of the tank and use the tank side as the suction for the lift pump and the frame side as the feed to the engine. If your lines are rotted out you can either replace the OEM hardline with new hardline or make your own line with high quality line (rubber, braided, etc).

3A) You would have to then also grab the small return line from each bank of injectors, HPRV in the back of the driver's rail, and relocate the fuel temp sensor if you chose to remove the OEM hardline mounted on the engine. I've done it, it's not fun and not practical. I would assume if you're asking this question your hardline on the frame is rotted out. You can certainly replace it like above with either a new OEM hardline or with a high quality line of some type (rubber/braided, etc).

Reactions: six5creed

dndj

Boost!
Apr 13, 2019
Oregon
Here's some pics of my AD100 install, in case it helps. My cooler is still in place.

Attachments

• tmp1.jpg
    tmp1.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 22
  • tmp3.jpg
    tmp3.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 23
  • tmp2.jpg
    tmp2.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 23

fl0w3n

Jan 8, 2015
Here's some pics of my AD100 install, in case it helps. My cooler is still in place.
Man, I just wasn’t able to get the line fully onto the connectors no matter how hard I tried. I had the connector and hose dipped in oil and I was using nearly my entire body weight to push down on the hose with the connector on a towel/concrete. How did you manage that magic? Heating the hose?

even with that it looks like you still get a little seep out of the return line at the AD like I do, but I figured it was because I’m about 1/8” from bottoming out the hose

dndj

Boost!
Apr 13, 2019
Oregon
I had SDP install it at the same time I had my trans built back in Feb 2019😁. So I cheated and unfortunately I don't have any good advice to share about the fittings.

six5creed

Jan 6, 2016
N.C.
Thanks for the replies, I'm ordering new stainless lines and will replace them then put the lift pump on (my wife won't let me have it until Christmas).

RaticalM4

Feb 5, 2021
I installed an AD yesterday and those press fit hose ends are a pain. It was around 40f here so the hose wasn’t real cooperative. I grabbed a heat gun after the first and it was much simpler with the hose warmed up. That’s the only tip I can share. I reused my frame lines as well.

six5creed

Jan 6, 2016
N.C.
I installed an AD yesterday and those press fit hose ends are a pain. It was around 40f here so the hose wasn’t real cooperative. I grabbed a heat gun after the first and it was much simpler with the hose warmed up. That’s the only tip I can share. I reused my frame lines as well.
I got mine on after Christmas, I had a couple quick connects give me a fit but all in all it went well.