LB 7 rod caps issue

SilveradoTwins02

Hopefully twins soon
Aug 5, 2014
Hanover PA
I pulled the motor to clean everything up and do head gaskets. Well after a ton of research on here. I decided to pull the motor down to do the keysways. Well I found some issues with the rods caps. I never seen this before on gas motors. Can some of the engine builders on here share some insight to why the caps look features. No machine surfaces at all. The mains look good though.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 42

LtEng5

Mar 24, 2013
CT
D-max's use "cracked" rods, rather than "machined" rods. A lot of manufactures and some of the after market has been using for many years. A cracked rod is just that. Cracked in half to make the two parts. The rods are physically broken in half with a press. It gives the rod a better fitment around the crank journal and does not allow the rod cap to "walk around" like a "machined" cap can. the rough surface you see is inherent to just that rod and only that rod. the cap can only go on one way and can not be fitted to another rod.

SilveradoTwins02

Hopefully twins soon
Aug 5, 2014
Hanover PA
LtEng5. Thanks for the quick reply. That is exactly what it looks like, like they have been cracked In half. Wow learn something new everyday. I think I am going to cut the pistons and get some Carrillo rods for it. Have it rebalanced, new bearings and cut the keyways in the crank and cam and call in done..