KYB Gas-a-Just Shocks and Struts

Oct 21, 2009
I have read how good the QA1 shocks have helped out a lot of guys buy they are on the expensive side. So I was doing some research and wondered if anyone as compared them to any other shocks. most Specifically the KYB shocks. From sumit they are only $45 each.

Front: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/KYB-KG54340/
Rear:http://www.summitracing.com/parts/KYB-KG54342/Application/?prefilter=1

Some other direct fit shocks I found. http://www.shockwarehouse.com/index.cfm?mode=results&selected_model=3823&selected_year=2001

Irealize the QA1 are great shocks but if I can get all 4 KYB shocks for the price of one QA1....I know they will probably not perform like the QA1 but I would have to think they are way better then stock....

If anyone has ran them on their Dmax lets get some feedback:woott:

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Apples to oranges.

You are confusing why we run QA1 shocks. Most of us run them primarily as a drag-racing shock so we can adjust the front suspension to get better launches. They CAN also be used on the street, but for the price it is impractical. If you have your heart set on running an adjustable shock for DD and racing, then a lesser-$$ alternative to the QA1s are the Rancho 9000s.

If you want to compare daily-driver shocks as direct replacements for the crap OEMs, then KYB would be a good choice, along with Bilstein.

Oct 21, 2009
Apples to oranges.

You are confusing why we run QA1 shocks. Most of us run them primarily as a drag-racing shock so we can adjust the front suspension to get better launches. They CAN also be used on the street, but for the price it is impractical. If you have your heart set on running an adjustable shock for DD and racing, then a lesser-$$ alternative to the QA1s are the Rancho 9000s.

If you want to compare daily-driver shocks as direct replacements for the crap OEMs, then KYB would be a good choice, along with Bilstein.

I am not confused. I am just looking to try these out and see how they do compared to stock on the track..... Not a fan of Rancho but if you know of any other adjustable ones let me know:thumb:

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
procomp makes an adjustable shock but you have to verify with whoever you buy them from before they ship...i ordered a set of MX6056 shocks last year and never took them out of the boxes until it was to late and realized they werent adjustable like it said on every piece of literature i had read..including the box.

Oct 21, 2009
procomp makes an adjustable shock but you have to verify with whoever you buy them from before they ship...i ordered a set of MX6056 shocks last year and never took them out of the boxes until it was to late and realized they werent adjustable like it said on every piece of literature i had read..including the box.
Thats no good:( Did you end up running them? If so how did you like them. And did you ever race with them?

Had KYB's for 2 yrs now. Bilsteins where a better ride.

What Bilsteins? Did you ever race with?

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
ill end up putting my QA1s from the front on the back but for the price the Rancho 9000 where great bang for buck.

As for the gas shock i think McRat tried them a while back, might even have them for sale still.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
KYB does make an adjustable shock, its called the AGX, but I could not find anything listed for our trucks.

Also, Bilsteins are a great choice for the street, but arent the best choice for racing. Trent had an entire thread devoted to that.