Question: Keep my truck or go new?

Animals1234

Jun 8, 2017
Hello guys,

I am a long time lurker and don't post very much but I like reading what you guys post and your thoughts are. I am still the noob here...lol. Hopefully it's in the right section also, my apologies ahead of time if it's not.

What I have is an 05 lly that I've been working on. It has manifolds, Garrett's drop in 3794va turbo, head studs, wc high flow bundle kit, Suncoast gmax kit with a 1056 converter, air dog 95, ppe front end parts, rear end rebuilt, and new driveshaft.

The truck has been great to me but I'm always worried on what's going to break next. So I've been toying around the idea of a (13-18 ram w/ an aisin or L5P) and wanted some of your feedback. I've driven the new trucks and they seem pretty good from the factory. Do you think selling the truck I've rebuilt is worth keeping around for another year or two or jump the gun?

Thanks

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
If it were me, I’d keep yours. You already know the truck and those new ones have a hefty price tag. Also, drive a cummins once and you’ll never want to sell your classic. A lot of guys like their l5p truck. Less to go wrong on your IMO tho. Only way I’d get a newer one is a half ton gasser.

BlkMax

Sep 1, 2008
Wasilla, AK
If it were me, I would just keep your LLY and be happy with the results. You didn't say how it was tuned, but with the transmission already done, you should have a truck that scoots.

You didn't say the mileage, my DD Emma has 330K miles on it now, and I am looking forward to driving her to 500k. Most miles Ive ever had on a rig, and I just cannot bring myself to spend the ~$70k for a new diesel truck, especially when I have one with more power right now.

Having said that, if you want a new truck go buy it. I'm keeping mine.:thumb:

Animals1234

Jun 8, 2017
If it were me, I’d keep yours. You already know the truck and those new ones have a hefty price tag. Also, drive a cummins once and you’ll never want to sell your classic. A lot of guys like their l5p truck. Less to go wrong on your IMO tho. Only way I’d get a newer one is a half ton gasser.

Thought about the half ton gasser for a moment too. I got to ride in one the other day and the creature comforts made me really happy

Animals1234

Jun 8, 2017
If it were me, I would just keep your LLY and be happy with the results. You didn't say how it was tuned, but with the transmission already done, you should have a truck that scoots.

You didn't say the mileage, my DD Emma has 330K miles on it now, and I am looking forward to driving her to 500k. Most miles Ive ever had on a rig, and I just cannot bring myself to spend the ~$70k for a new diesel truck, especially when I have one with more power right now.

Having said that, if you want a new truck go buy it. I'm keeping mine.:thumb:

Current mileage is at 468,000 miles hahaha. Maybe I should’ve mentioned that:rofl::rofl:

Truck does has an efi live file.

I just thought of it lately as: when my motor goes it it’s going to be around 12k for a short block or 12k towards a down payment toward something new

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
Current mileage is at 468,000 miles hahaha. Maybe I should’ve mentioned that:rofl::rofl:

Truck does has an efi live file.

I just thought of it lately as: when my motor goes it it’s going to be around 12k for a short block or 12k towards a down payment toward something new

Could be a when, could be an if. If I were you, I’d keep the LLY and find me a 6.2 half ton. Shoot even 5.3s are stout just avoid the 8 speed trans like the plague.

Edit: another thought. At that many miles, regardless of mods, resale is going to be hard and if you can sell it, you’re not going to come out anywhere near on top. You’d lose more than you have in it. Plus, you can do a very mild build for much less than 12k. New stock crank, lbz rods, delipped lb7 pistons, and let her eat. And another thought, with an emissions intact newer truck, whether it be cummins or l5p, can you really say you’d expect them to go almost 500k? The dodge is going to fall apart even if the engine is still in good shape. L5p might possibly run forever, but I’d hate to see how much emissions equipment work you’d do. And with the way the market and Uncle Sam is headed, deletes are only going to become harder and harder.

Animals1234

Jun 8, 2017
The resale value I knew going into it that I wouldn’t get crap of what I’ve put into it. I think it was more of a learning curve and I got into a truck that I can knick and dent without caring.

On a side note I’ve asked local machine shops what a build with delipped lb7 pistons/lbz rods/new crank and I was getting close to the 6k range? Not sure if that sounds about the average going rate. Also in my head the “damn! A couple thousand more and a could’ve added a cam, x,y, and z.” :roflmao::roflmao:

What member on here’s got over half a million miles on their truck? I may have to shoot them a pm.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Is it worth keeping your diesel as a toy? I love having my new gasser work truck and having my diesel as my go fast truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blackmax123

Aug 2, 2014
central Pennsylvania
I can't justify a new one for my self, especially when my old lady and I have a new yukon. That's why I picked up a nice lbz reg cab so I can put my lmm back on the street and build the play truck I've always wanted.

To the op in your position I'd keep your truck due to the mileage and look for something newer lower miles with a few mods and keep it for special occasions or for when your old one is down..

frankenstien

May 25, 2015
Fairbanks,Alaska
Im half in the same boat, depends on how mad i am at it, im thinking in the next year or 2 ill get something "new", depending what mines worth, ill probably just keep it, it can be the camper pulling truck

what kind of shape is the body in? the paint on my truck is starting to show its age