Question: Keep dmax or trade to a 6.4 PowerStoke Furd or gasser

fishv12

Jan 30, 2011
Good day all!

First let me just say that I love this forum. I currently own a 02 CCSB truck and have pretty much all the accessories for my toys on it. Last year I had to do an headgasket job and she has been purring fine ever since but the truck is getting old... I would need to replace all new brake and fuel lines due to corrosion and a new steering gear. I have 220,000kms on the clock and I know this is not much for a diesel. Living in the middle of salt all the time the underbelly of the truck is basically flaking orange despite my attempts of oiling it every year but it's running just fine.

To be totally honest I am sick and tired of wrenching on the truck period. I want something that will let me do all my house reno's for the next few years to come and well also let me enjoy going out fishing with my camper and boat. With that said I also have a limited budget so a used truck is my only solution.

Looking at trucks I see many 6.4L Fords right in my price range with low mileage and real nice trims. Other than that there is also the 6.0L gasser or even Ford gassers for that matter. I want decent mpg and reliability of course. I can't find any Dmax locally unless they are higher mileage or being worked hard and well Dodge personnaly is just out of the question. Just had real bad experience with Chrysler warranty and vowed to never purchase a Chrysler product ever again. Anyways I just want to hear what a Dmax crowd has to say.

Last edited:

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
If you think you're tired of wrenching on your Duramax I dare you to buy a 6.4 Ford haha :rofl: In all honesty they're good running, quiet, smooth, strong running trucks but they are high maintenance big time. Which isn't a big deal if you know it was maintained right. But if not you'll be in for some fun times.

That 6.0 gm gasser is one tough s.o.b though. Just don't expect better than 14ish mpg at best

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
My 04 6.0 gm got 9 mpg combined. It had 4.10 but it was beast of a truck but had to stop for fuel everyday before work it added up quick.

Never owned a 6.4, after our 6.0 power joke trucks we vowed never touch ford again. The v10 sucks the 5.4 is a joke the new 6.2 has rod to Piston skirt clearance issues under hard throttle. I don't know who does fords r&d but they suck at it. I have friend with a 6.4 with a spartan 275 in it. It's a badass for sure but has had head gasket issues even studed...

No matter how you stack it the 6.0/6.4 powersrokes just has to few bolt holding the head down. Even when upsized to larger dia studs they have issues. On the bright side the egr is much improved over 6.0

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
shop.dieselmafiaperformance.com
My 04 6.0 gm got 9 mpg combined. It had 4.10 but it was beast of a truck but had to stop for fuel everyday before work it added up quick.

Never owned a 6.4, after our 6.0 power joke trucks we vowed never touch ford again. The v10 sucks the 5.4 is a joke the new 6.2 has rod to Piston skirt clearance issues under hard throttle. I don't know who does fords r&d but they suck at it. I have friend with a 6.4 with a spartan 275 in it. It's a badass for sure but has had head gasket issues even studed...

No matter how you stack it the 6.0/6.4 powersrokes just has to few bolt holding the head down. Even when upsized to larger dia studs they have issues. On the bright side the egr is much improved over 6.0

Was his an 08? There horrible for them mid 09 they changed stuff up

fishv12

Jan 30, 2011
Well the problem with my truck is no longer the engine I am not worried about it. It's all the other parts around it that are 11yrs old. Where I live the climate is not friendly on our cars and that sucks. Actually if I could find a rust free Arizona LB7 truck with low mileage in good condition paint and all I would jump on it. I simply love that engine... No DPF emission crap and I actually know it very well now lol. Although this is next to impossible to find and I may as well keep my truck. The older the trucks are here the rustier they are.

The Ford 6.4 well would be much newer, pretty much rust free and my hopes would be that if it blows an HG it would be at high mileage 200,000kms+ which should leave me a 3-4 years of enjoyment. I haven't been able to find information on how soon one would expect an HG to pop in one of those. One thing that scares me although is the fact that the cab has to come off to do the HG job... That simply means that I couldn't do the job in my low celing garage well unless one could do it with a mid lift like the MaxJax which I am thinking of purchasing eventually.

The gas fuel efficiency scares the heck out of me to be honest. I get pretty good mileage with my truck right now.

Too freaking bad they don't make the 6.2L diesel in all honesty I loved that engine. First started to drive with a 1992 6.2L diesel. It's not extremely powerful but did everything we asked it to do.

SteveLBZ06

Jan 6, 2013
Central MA
Personally I don't think I could ever own another heavy duty gas truck after having a dmax, maybe a 1500. Have you considered finding one with a junk motor and less rust and doing a swap? Or traveling south to find one? Sounds to me like you would be giving up a good reliable truck for more problems or horrendous fuel mileage.

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
What is your budget? They have MASSIVE rebates on new duramaxes right now. My uncle just bought a new 3500HD regular cab and got 14k in rebates bringing the price down into the low 30k range. Most people I know that have gotten them lately have gotten more than 9k in rebates. We're looking at getting another one. Our LML we have now is two years old and has 90k on it. It has been flawless.

Ford builds nice trucks, outside of the powertrain I feel they are nicer than GM.

Personally I like my little diesel Jettas, they're so much more fun to drive and much cheaper to drive too. Go buy a nice TDI and an older chevy gas pickup to haul your stuff around and call it a day.

fishv12

Jan 30, 2011
Alright I get it LBZ ftw! LOL

As for the Ford I haven't even sat in one yet but I am afraid if I did it would sell it for me and that would be it. They look so much nicer than my truck interior period... Seats and all. But I am not looking for more problems than I already have or to have major problems in a short time frame so I guess Ford is out of the question.

Horrible fuel mileage well is no fun either. I don't want to avoid driving the truck just because it's going to cost me a small fortune to drive it. I already find fuel prices high enough! Used there is not a huge difference in the price of gas vs diesel trucks anyways I find or at least the difference is less. It's just that there is like 5 gas trucks for one diesel.

New is out of the question even with all the rebates going on. I just can't afford a 60k truck. It's got to be CCSB and those are not cheap!@

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
Alright I get it LBZ ftw! LOL

As for the Ford I haven't even sat in one yet but I am afraid if I did it would sell it for me and that would be it. They look so much nicer than my truck interior period... Seats and all. But I am not looking for more problems than I already have or to have major problems in a short time frame so I guess Ford is out of the question.

Horrible fuel mileage well is no fun either. I don't want to avoid driving the truck just because it's going to cost me a small fortune to drive it. I already find fuel prices high enough! Used there is not a huge difference in the price of gas vs diesel trucks anyways I find or at least the difference is less. It's just that there is like 5 gas trucks for one diesel.

New is out of the question even with all the rebates going on. I just can't afford a 60k truck. It's got to be CCSB and those are not cheap!@

My wifes car gets 45mpg+ all day and will waste any of our dmaxes except for the LML which is only faster in a straight line. VW parts arent cheap but theyre better than DMax parts.

LBZ is great and all but id say get an LMM and install a downpipe back exhaust and some tuning.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk 2

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
Did anyone say lbz ftw yet???

We love our lml have been thinkin bout another one this winter. We didn't gat any discounts on ours except our gm supplier which is pretty good. Other than that these trucks are $$$$ but worth it in every way

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
Did anyone say lbz ftw yet???

We love our lml have been thinkin bout another one this winter. We didn't gat any discounts on ours except our gm supplier which is pretty good. Other than that these trucks are $$$$ but worth it in every way

LBZs are gay.

When we bought our LML we got 0% and a free commercial package but otherwise no rebated back in 2011. EC/LB 2500HD LT1 package for 49k.

That truck has paid for itself though,90k miles with no breakdowns, tows like an animal. Lots of power, smooth riding with a trailer (rougher otherwise) much better suspension and the exhaust brake is nice. Killer brakes on those things too.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk 2