K&N Air Filter??

msjdgman

Jan 13, 2009
SW Michigan
In the past, I had always had good service out of the K&N drop in factory replacement air filters. But lately I`ve been reading that many are unhappy with the K&N factory replacement performance...letting dirt thru somehow. It is my understanding that they have recently altered the filter to be a very tight fit in the air box and are using a sealant at the gasket area now to prevent the bypassing of any particles. A friend of mine put one in his truck last fall, said it was a super tight fit, and he swears by them. Before I spend the money for one to go in my DMax, what do any of you think of their performance? Thanks in advance.

MadMaxx61

Devilmaxx
Oct 13, 2008
Windsor, Ont, Canada
You have an 08 so just gut it and you should be good till you pass 500 rwhp. To gut it just look up the PPE air box mod it will take you 20 mins or so that is it. Also the paper filter does a good job but does need to be changed here and there as I am on #5 with only 28k on my truck.

msjdgman

Jan 13, 2009
SW Michigan
Thanks for the feedback!! I knew it wouldn`t help my daily driving performance any...being stock, that`s pretty much a no brainer. But my friend who did the stock replacement hauls travel trailers and fifth wheels for a living. He is getting an additional 1.5-2.0 mpg over stock while towing. A customer of mine just this morning claimed a similar response while towing. That is why my curiosity has been peaked. The customer I talked with this morning said the sealant is actually some sort of high temp sealing grease. It doesn`t ooze or run off during use, and he claims that upon 2 different inspections since original installation, there appears to be nothing getting by.

Unit453

How fast was I going?
Sep 20, 2008
Florida
thetruckstop.us
The stuff getting through those filters cannot be see by our eye balls. Its the fine particles of dust that they've been proven to let through. K&N filters have been proven to be the worst filtering media out on the market. Just because they were the first dosent mean they're the best.

If you're gonna do a drop in filter, you're better off leaving it stock and modding the stock air box. Its quick and easy and works well. If you're going for a full replacement intake system, Banks, S&B and AFE seem to be top of the line. I run an S&B and couldnt be happier. I didnt however notice any difference at all with mileage or performance. You probably wont either because intakes havge pretty much been proven to provide you ZERO gain at stock power levels. The only time they've seem to make some power is when you're at or above 500 h.p. when the motor can use the additional air that its flowing.

JOHNBOY

< Rocking the Big Single!
Aug 30, 2006
Saegertown, Pa
I have been run K&N filters on turbo engines for over 15 years with no issues. With a K&N your results HIGHLY depend on you as far as dirt and oil go. Most that complain about them are victims of there own lack of attention to detail. You must take the proper care of a K&N or you have trouble. People blame that trouble on the filter when in fact they are the root cause. If you can not take the time to properly maintain one stay stock as there is nothing wrong with the stock one at the power levels most will ever run.

Again I have been running K&Ns on my truck sense almost day one. I have never had any turbo issues or have I ever had to clean my MAF sensor or inlet tube. I take the time to do the maintance correctly. You get out of it what you put into it.
I make more HP then most ever will and I use a K&N!:cool2:

Unit453

How fast was I going?
Sep 20, 2008
Florida
thetruckstop.us
I actually ran a K&N drop in filter in my Ford for about 6 years. I put on about 60,000 miles and never personally had a problem. Then again, those 4.6's dont make much power anyways. I had checked it over the years but it never seemed all that dirty until the winter when I pulled it out and looked at the inner pleats.

The first one shows the top view and it looked pretty decent until I started to open it up a bit. I'm surprised any air was getting through it at all. This was pure neglect I guess and I have no excuse. I replaced it with an S&B drop in from Chad at Alligator...

The car is stock with the exception of an ECM 93 octane tune.

Attachments

• HPIM1323.JPG
    HPIM1323.JPG
    404.5 KB · Views: 16
  • HPIM1324.jpg
    HPIM1324.jpg
    1,012.1 KB · Views: 17
  • HPIM1325.JPG
    HPIM1325.JPG
    508.5 KB · Views: 16
  • HPIM1326.JPG
    HPIM1326.JPG