Allison 5sp: Is it done?

aggar

Still Learnin!
Mar 9, 2008
Kirklin, IN
In my 04 lly when I tow anything now, the trans gets warm. I mean towing a Small tractor about 5 miles or so and I'm not pushing it hard. Running about 45 or so. It'll get over 220-230* It got hot on me about a month ago towing same tractor and trailer. The engine got hot too and the trans did too. I mean clear over in the red. So after that I had both the trans flushed and new filters put in and the radiator flushed too. Trans isn't shifting weird or anything. Dealer said fluid looked good and didn't smell burnt. So I'm wondering if there is an interval issue or if it could be a thermostat not kicking in to get the fan going in time. Any info would be great. Truck has a mild tune in it bc it's my work truck. Normal driving the temp stays around 170-190 and engine temp stats around 180-200 depending on air temp.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Wouldn't Fleece know more about this trans than us since they built it? Having them check it out would have been my first move.
As far as what could make your trans overheat; hot running engine, plugged cooler or lines, plugged internal filter, bad converter, or a problem in the stator support body.

aggar

Still Learnin!
Mar 9, 2008
Kirklin, IN
No this trans is a stock one not been built. Just trying to get ideas to look at before I drop the money to rebuild it. Engine stays cooler then the trans while towing unless for a long time.