Is anybody running a single battery if so any one in particular that works well ?

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
When I researched batteries for my puller, I seen a lot of negative feed back on the Optima batteries. Apparently they were bought out a few years back and have since gone down hill. I read nothing but positive things about Odyssey batteries, off-roaders with big winches love them!

Manufacturing was moved south of the border and they started using a lead/alloy combination instead of 100% lead. Need to compare the weight of an older one to the current models and you'll see what I'm talking about. A battery wholesale company I was at several years ago said that was the reason he no longer wholesaled them through his company and was selling Odyssey only..

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
One interstate at stock lly compression, sits alot and gets started once a week to take up the trash and zero problems. Cranks slower than 2 like said but no issues.

NRA223

May 20, 2015
Manufacturing was moved south of the border and they started using a lead/alloy combination instead of 100% lead. Need to compare the weight of an older one to the current models and you'll see what I'm talking about. A battery wholesale company I was at several years ago said that was the reason he no longer wholesaled them through his company and was selling Odyssey only..

All of this explains a lot. I remember back in high school all the sound competition guys swore by optima. When i went to replace my battery last year all i could find on optima was garbage reviews.

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona

If it is said and you read it enough times it becomes that's the way it is and true. The statement I'm referring to is one for the southwest states where I live, "Heat kills batteries and they only last about 2-3 years because of it", repeated enough times by companies and by people that hear it, repeat it and you accept as truth.

Truth is the lead alloys (cheaper components) are used more often and thus reducing the life of batteries....:thumb:.

Pretty soon 1-2 years will be the norm....:spit:

830king

Oct 24, 2013
Central MN
One interstate at stock lly compression, sits alot and gets started once a week to take up the trash and zero problems. Cranks slower than 2 like said but no issues.
My interstates are 6 years old this month,zero issues to date. Prolly gonna replace before winter tho...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I ran these for a while in my LB7. no batteries at all. cranked over ridiculously fast. one set cranked over as fast as two lead acid batteries. both sets cranked over faster. also they weigh about 10 lbs total. that is some weight savings

View attachment 43150

View attachment 43151

Specs:

They are 2.7 volt 2.85 surge, 3000 farads - yes 3000 farads.

I wired 6 in series to make 16.2 volt (17.1 volt surge) 500 farad bank.

Two of these make a 1000 farad set to replace the batteries in my truck

good down to -40 degrees all the way to 149 degrees. the set has 4330 CCA/CA & and short circuit current of 18,000+ amps

the engine turns over and starts so quick and it recharges in less then 30 seconds. the audio system seems to have gained an extra kick too

right now i have them temporarily tied down in place of my old batteries

View attachment 43152

That pretty cool, but are they under the hood still? Only being good for 149* I would think they would get cooked pretty fast.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

brokesmoke

Pick a lane...
Dec 13, 2012
Charleston, SC
Well my batteries are donesies..

Anybody have a link to what diehard platinum AGM would be best? I'm wanting to run a single now to make way for a bit more air in the future.

brokesmoke

Pick a lane...
Dec 13, 2012
Charleston, SC
Well just to update everyone- I needed my truck in a bit of a rush and dint' have time to order and wait on a battery. My local autoparts store had a 800 CCA AcDelco stock sized battery i picked up to use in the truck for $107. I installed it and it turned the truck over like it was nothing. Going to see how long it lasts i guess? :thumb:

Low366Dmax

Pin it to win it
Aug 23, 2013
NH
Well just to update everyone- I needed my truck in a bit of a rush and dint' have time to order and wait on a battery. My local autoparts store had a 800 CCA AcDelco stock sized battery i picked up to use in the truck for $107. I installed it and it turned the truck over like it was nothing. Going to see how long it lasts i guess? :thumb:

I have the same one in my truck 2 winters ago it saw -20 temps and cranked over just fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

prostreeter600

Street rodder
Jul 18, 2010
Dallas Tx
I looked into the Odessy but nobody stocks them therefore it would have been a PITA to get it warranted. I just went with one from Orielly's Auto Parts . It worked like a champ . Keep in mind I have my battery mounted at the rear of my truck behind the rear axle, so the power cable is long. None the less it cranks like normal .

kubitza123

Sep 19, 2016
Texas
Why are you wanting to run one? Expense of two or wanting room under the hood for turbos etc? I had a 2007 1000hp dodge I ran cables and mounted a custom battery box and a single Odyessy battery so I had room to work on it. I bought the largest battery they offered and it did well but was 4-$500 . But I had so much room under the hood.

One day may do it to my Max if I decided to add turbos .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 22