Investments

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
First off id lke to say I am participating in helping reduce the spread of the virus and I do feel for the ones effected, so I'd prefer not get bashed on this post as I am still working, still getting the USPS mail delivered and understand what is going on.
A little more info for you guys,
I Bought my first home at 25 and now have some expandable cash to invest. I have previously dealt with a broker before and lost a ton of money. Looking to invest myself.

Looking for some insight from others that are generous enough to share. Are any of you guys using a app on your phone if so what one? Any info, opinions or things to watch out for?

I have been watching the oil companies, airlines and Cruise lines very closely. Anything else I should be aware of?

down_hiller

Oct 28, 2016
I use etrade. Its pretty easy to use. I have some mutual funds I invested in. Less return but also a lot less risk.

down_hiller

Oct 28, 2016
A mutual fund is a group of stocks that is professionally managed. Some of them have fees for this others do not. I like them because I can buy them and not have to worry about checking them every day. Yes they still go up and down like everything else but the risk of losing a lot of money is smaller because it is spread out over multiple stocks. I use etrade for just trying to make some extra money investing and Vangaurd for retirement. Both work well and have lots of information as well to help you.

Jun 27, 2017
Nebraska
Mutual Funds or ETFs are your best bet, unless you just have to own a certain stock, in that case go ahead but I would not put it all in one or even just a few stocks. Right now would be a great time to invest (your going to have a large window of good opportunity) as the market is down a bit. I would take the next couple months to find some good mutual funds or ETFs (vanguard is great and has low fees on index funds) and make your buy around Summer. This is just my opinion, nobody can guarantee what the market will do.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
I play the market everyday, buy Duke energy, American funds agthx, ancfx and agthx on the next down day, the bottom is materializing now as it convulses. I'm going to call it at 18,400 on a two day hold then it's going to v shape straight to 24,000 as the algorithm tells the bots to buy in at 19,000. Do not sell if it fluctuates, it's going to happen, only panicky morons sell and loose. Market ALWAYS comes back, if you buy these stocks and hold you will want to come give me a hug in about 10 years...:hug:

TexasRedNeck

Diesel Newbie
Nov 25, 2012
Houston, Texas
As others have said. Unless you are an active professional trader with access to automated programs it’s really really tough to beat index funds. S&P and Dow. Now is a great time to get I’m if you have the cash and if you are already in don’t panic. It will come roaring back soon. Remember that the price of a stock is generally tied to its short to mid range cash earnings expectation. Think buffet. Buy and hold. Amateur active traders get smoked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
I'm not in yet, I made the mistake of doing that in 2018 and I pulled out in 4 months or so an lost alot of money. Going to take a different approach.

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
I play the market everyday, buy Duke energy, American funds agthx, ancfx and agthx on the next down day, the bottom is materializing now as it convulses. I'm going to call it at 18,400 on a two day hold then it's going to v shape straight to 24,000 as the algorithm tells the bots to buy in at 19,000. Do not sell if it fluctuates, it's going to happen, only panicky morons sell and loose. Market ALWAYS comes back, if you buy these stocks and hold you will want to come give me a hug in about 10 years...:hug:

I really think it's going to get around 14-15k. Will see I have a bet riding on it. Have you looked into carnival Cruise line stock?
Also I am watching the auto makers as well. They should be moving around quite a bit since the drop off with the plants for a few weeks.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
I really think it's going to get around 14-15k. Will see I have a bet riding on it. Have you looked into carnival Cruise line stock?
Also I am watching the auto makers as well. They should be moving around quite a bit since the drop off with the plants for a few weeks.

I listed agthx twice my bad, the other is amcpx. I'm afaird of the cruise lines, I've been burned by them before, I'd buy airlines before them but I'm not a travel investor. I like ulitites, banks and consumer staples, they pay nice dividends and hold value better than most others.

Janimal444

Jun 25, 2012
Salem, NH
As others have said. Unless you are an active professional trader with access to automated programs it’s really really tough to beat index funds. S&P and Dow. Now is a great time to get I’m if you have the cash and if you are already in don’t panic. It will come roaring back soon. Remember that the price of a stock is generally tied to its short to mid range cash earnings expectation. Think buffet. Buy and hold. Amateur active traders get smoked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^This. Wall Street Journal has done several experiments where blindfolded humans threw darts at a board to randomly pick a stock portfolio, and more often than not they outperformed the portfolios picked by so called "experts".

Vanguard S&P 500 index fund (symbol: VOO) is a good one in my opinion. Will track the S&P 500 index and also pays close to a 3% dividend.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
I agree to an extent. I don't like vanguard personally, they mix politics and investing. A good index fund is SPY it is a index of S&P companies that have increased dividend year over year for 10 years or longer. Proves the companies have sound fundamentals and aren't flash in the pan stocks...

sneaky98gt

Nov 5, 2013
This is my opinion only, some will certainly disagree. But if you're not already completely maxing out your tax-advantaged retirement accounts, then you shouldn't be investing directly in the market.

A tax-advantaged account is exactly that: you either don't pay any tax on the investments now and pay taxes when you withdraw (traditional IRA, 401K, some others), or you invest with money you've already paid income tax on and don't pay taxes when you withdraw (Roth IRA, Roth 401k, etc.). In both of these situations, you don't pay taxes on how much it grows (capital gains), which is a huge advantage.

When you invest directly in the market, you'll be subject to capital gains taxes. Generally speaking, you have to be REALLY good investing in the market to perform better than a mutual fund in a tax-advantaged Roth IRA. For most people, you'll pay a 15% gains tax on stocks you hold more than a year, and you'll pay whatever your income tax rate is on stocks you hold less than a year, which is going to be 22%+ for most people playing in the stock market. So you'd have to do at least 15% better than your funds in a retirement account to just break even, and that's unlikely.

Die-hard traders in here will probably try to pick apart what I just said, but in the end, it's just messy and difficult to do from an amateur standpoint, and you'll almost certainly do better putting your investing on autopilot via index funds through a retirement account.

For me, the first thing I'd do is put in whatever percentage I need to in a 401k to take advantage of an employer match (if any). That's literally free money. Then max out a Roth IRA in a good mutual fund ($6000 / year). My current primary fund is VASGX, definitely a set-it-and-forget-it type of fund that's performed well for decades, with very low expenses. Finally, after maxing out at Roth, go back to the 401k and max it out ($19,500 / year). Only after doing all that (which is ~$25,000 a year, quite a good chunk) would I consider investing directly into stocks (assuming you didn't go to something else first, like real estate).

You also didn't mention your mortgage situation (how much is left, interest rate, etc.). A lot of people will poo-poo it, but putting money towards your house is a guaranteed, 100% risk-free return of whatever your interest rate is (a 5% interest rate means you'll see 5% on the dollar per year for the number of years left on your mortgage). You'll always hear people say that you're better off paying the 5% on your mortgage and investing the cash instead; I bet they're not singing that tune right now....

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
Sneaky98gt

While I agree with what you said, I am doing a match into a 401k (5 percent) , but I also have a pension coming from my job as well. That is 1 percent per year and will finalize at roughly 30 percent of my highest paid year. Idk how much more money I'll need when I'm 55 years old. Having a draw from pension, 401k and social security lol I do not see the need for a ira as of right now. I have had so many people suggest that too me and it does not make sense.

What makes sense to me is my house will be paid for in 2 more years, I have no college loans as I paid for those, no vehicle debt either. I really don't think people understand how much money they actually pay for a 150k house after a 30 year mortgage. So I figured I'd try and pay that off first, then put money in the stock market and gamble a little.

An ira is a gaurrNteed way to tie money up until I am 59 but I don't think it's worth it cause it doesn't actually make cash flow? Is my approach or thoughts in the completely wrong direction?

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
Btw, anyone with opinions. Feel free to add, I do not think there is any right or wrong way of doing things. Pretty cool that this site is cool enough to talk about things like this!

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I’m glad you made this post I’ve been thinking about the stuff myself.

I wouldn’t touch a cruise line with a 10 foot pole. I’m probably biased because I’m not a huge Cruise guy, but I can tell you right now I have no plan to ever get on one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sneaky98gt

Nov 5, 2013
Sneaky98gt

While I agree with what you said, I am doing a match into a 401k (5 percent) , but I also have a pension coming from my job as well. That is 1 percent per year and will finalize at roughly 30 percent of my highest paid year. Idk how much more money I'll need when I'm 55 years old. Having a draw from pension, 401k and social security lol I do not see the need for a ira as of right now. I have had so many people suggest that too me and it does not make sense.

What makes sense to me is my house will be paid for in 2 more years, I have no college loans as I paid for those, no vehicle debt either. I really don't think people understand how much money they actually pay for a 150k house after a 30 year mortgage. So I figured I'd try and pay that off first, then put money in the stock market and gamble a little.

An ira is a gaurrNteed way to tie money up until I am 59 but I don't think it's worth it cause it doesn't actually make cash flow? Is my approach or thoughts in the completely wrong direction?

Roughly how old are you now? Do you plan to retire early (before 59-1/2?)

You are correct that you can't withdraw earnings from a Roth IRA until 59 1/2; that's the tradeoff for not paying any capital gains taxes on it. But you can withdraw contributions at any time, tax- and penalty- free. So I suppose it's up to you to decide if the flexibility is worth the 15%+ capital gains you'll pay on it.

If you're looking to increase your current income by investing, rather than saving for retirement. Or, if you're just in it for the fun / thrill, then yea, I'm definitely not your guy. I don't think amateurs are going to be consistently successful very often. I'd say it's probably only a small step above full-scale gambling. Me personally, I'm either in it for the long run, or I'm not in it at all.

You are absolutely correct that most people don't realize how much interest they pay over the term of a mortgage. It's a lot, which is why at age 29, my house is paid off. It's taken a lot of sacrifice and a little bit of good luck, and it's not nearly as sexy as investing in the market, but it's an amazing feeling to not owe a single dime to anybody. If you're able to, I'd suggest considering that, especially as close as you are. Lots of people out there will say that's a bad idea to do, to rather invest for bigger returns. But a 4%-5% guaranteed, risk-free return is nothing to shake a stick at. And once you don't have a house payment (or any payment) or the risk that comes along with it, then you can REALLY start to cash flow some investments (stocks, realty, whatever). That is how you get wealthy.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Hope y'all bought at the bottom bc the market is going back to 29k by mid July Then break out once the election is over or before if Trumps victory is certain..