LB7: intermittent start issues

RickDLance

Feb 14, 2007
I've got an 01 LB7 engine that is giving me trouble and I need help. It was in a Chevrolet and never had any issues that I knew of but we did not drive it very often.

We pulled the motor and put it in a 2001 GMC truck and every now and then it wouldn't start no matter what we did. We figured it had some rusty fuel lines or something.

We pulled the motor back out of the GMC and put it back in the Chevrolet truck and it is still doing it. It started and seemed to run fine two days ago and today it won't start again.

We have changed the Ficm and fuel filter housing. It pumps up fine and has fuel at the bleed screw on top of the filter but won't start. It does try and start on starter fluid. Any ideas?

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
I've got an 01 LB7 engine that is giving me trouble and I need help. It was in a Chevrolet and never had any issues that I knew of but we did not drive it very often.

We pulled the motor and put it in a 2001 GMC truck and every now and then it wouldn't start no matter what we did. We figured it had some rusty fuel lines or something.

We pulled the motor back out of the GMC and put it back in the Chevrolet truck and it is still doing it. It started and seemed to run fine two days ago and today it won't start again.

We have changed the Ficm and fuel filter housing. It pumps up fine and has fuel at the bleed screw on top of the filter but won't start. It does try and start on starter fluid. Any ideas?

Do you have a way to monitor rail pressure while cranking at your disposal?