Interior - cloth seat replacements?

fl0w3n

Jan 8, 2015
Didn't see a great spot for interior, feel free to move if there's somewhere better.

I see plenty of options for new leather seat bases, but what about cloth? Has anyone found good options to match factory? I'm not the biggest fan of eBay, but has anyone tried covers from them? It would bug me if they just barely don't match or fall apart early.

I'm looking to replace the foam as well, same question - recommendations for who/what to go with?

fl0w3n

Jan 8, 2015
I use these guys for foam and seat covers.

Maybe I’ll use them for the foam, but I had them in mind when I was saying cloth is hard to find. Spoke with them and they said they have a hard time with it.

dndj

Boost!
Apr 13, 2019
Oregon
I went to a local highly rated auto upholstery shop last summer trying to replace a couple of my seat base fabrics. They looked everywhere, checked all their sources, and couldn't find the OEM fabric except for one specialized supplier that had a couple leftover yards for obscene prices. My interior color was "Dark Charcoal" per the original window sticker, nothing wierd or obscure.

OEM GM seat foam is still available. Drivers side for my 03 LB7 was 19330710. Picked it up from a GM dealer on Ebay, OEM part for about $100. Upholstery shop said they could rebuild the driver seat bolster foam, they do it all the time since that's normally the one that breaks down from entering/exiting the truck. Cost would have been about a wash vs. buying new.

I could have picked out gray cloth fabrics from their sample books that would have been a full custom job, but the cost was almost the same as leather. I ended up going with Roadwire leather covers, diamond stitch with silver thread.

Attachments

• IMG_3512.JPG
    IMG_3512.JPG
    216.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2393.jpg
    IMG_2393.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
You're only going to find cloth seat covers on a junked truck in a boneyard. Ive never seen replacements for sale anywhere.

KyleC4

Tech
Dec 30, 2016
Bay Area
I’d stick with the foam from the dealer. I went through the seat shop for my driver seat in my 01. I replaced the foam, leather bottom cover, and leather back cover. It’s been about 4 years now and the foam doesn’t feel as dense as the passenger side original. I’m 200lbs so I don’t think I wore it down that quickly. But I also have the poor cushion design of 99-02. 03+ feels like heaven whenever I get to drive one in for service. Anyway, I’ve seen eBay sellers and Craigslist sometimes will have factory cloth covers listed. Some are brand new just stock that dealers are clearing from warehouses or buried in inventory. Could be a long waiting game though

dndj, you’re seats look awesome.

ShopSpecialties

Jun 4, 2008
Grass Range, Montana
I’d stick with the foam from the dealer. I went through the seat shop for my driver seat in my 01. I replaced the foam, leather bottom cover, and leather back cover. It’s been about 4 years now and the foam doesn’t feel as dense as the passenger side original. I’m 200lbs so I don’t think I wore it down that quickly. But I also have the poor cushion design of 99-02. 03+ feels like heaven whenever I get to drive one in for service. Anyway, I’ve seen eBay sellers and Craigslist sometimes will have factory cloth covers listed. Some are brand new just stock that dealers are clearing from warehouses or buried in inventory. Could be a long waiting game though

dndj, you’re seats look awesome.
I have been in the same seat for 13 years and nearly 500,000 miles and I have not noticed any big difference at the rate the foam wears down between OEM and Seat Shop.

Last edited:

fl0w3n

Jan 8, 2015

Just glanced over and saw this. Maybe it’s correct color for you

Wow, good catch. That is the correct color and relatively local, since I'm in the Bay Area.

DNDJ, those turned out great looking. I'm just a big fan of the comfort of the cloth.

I saw some options on eBay/Amazon, but again not sure of the quality.

dndj

Boost!
Apr 13, 2019
Oregon
Wow, good catch. That is the correct color and relatively local, since I'm in the Bay Area.

DNDJ, those turned out great looking. I'm just a big fan of the comfort of the cloth.

I saw some options on eBay/Amazon, but again not sure of the quality.

Thanks. BTW, I'm with you on that - all my trucks have been cloth upholstery through the years, tends to be my personal preference as well. Given the cost of a full custom tailored reupholstery job though, leather was the option that made sense in this case. Hope you can snag some cloth covers at a good price.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
You're only going to find cloth seat covers on a junked truck in a boneyard. Ive never seen replacements for sale anywhere.

There are some sellers on Ebay that have an OEM style Cloth replacement cover.
I don't think they are from the OE manufacturer. Not sure how well they well match.
I am not condoning or endorsing this seller , just posting for an example so you can see. I have never used this seller. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-2006-...ottom-Cloth-Seat-Cover-Dark-Gray/183240675238

FYI, Chevy and GMC cloth fabric patterns are different.

Also something to consider is that the sun will also fade them over time so a new bottom will likely be darker than the seat back...
I have used The Seat Shop in the past with some success.

I also was able to get a Vinyl, Single Stitch Bottom cover (This is different from the Double Stitch Leather cover) from a different EBay vendor that was close to the OEM on my old turbo truck.

fl0w3n

Jan 8, 2015
Interesting, I did not know Chevy and gmc had different patterns. Is it the center section of the seat that differs?

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Interesting, I did not know Chevy and gmc had different patterns. Is it the center section of the seat that differs?
I believe its just the fabric pattern in the center on the 03-07 classic. The 99-02 is the entire fabric from what I recall.

fl0w3n

Jan 8, 2015
Bringing this back up because I’m thinking now about lumbar/heat.

I’m thinking I can find a fully loaded leather seat setup and door panels, even if the seats are torn up, and then swap some Seat Shop foam on and eBay repop cloth covers.

my question is, will the harness be there for the seat heater and buttons on the door panel? Lumbar button is on the seat frame itself if I recall. I want to keep a factory appearance/function

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Bringing this back up because I’m thinking now about lumbar/heat.

I’m thinking I can find a fully loaded leather seat setup and door panels, even if the seats are torn up, and then swap some Seat Shop foam on and eBay repop cloth covers.

my question is, will the harness be there for the seat heater and buttons on the door panel? Lumbar button is on the seat frame itself if I recall. I want to keep a factory appearance/function
The Heater Control Switch on the door panel plugs into the Door lock/window switch below it.

Not sure on the door harness it self you might need an up level Bose harness. You may be able to just add the missing wires needed to an existing door harness.

I Don't have the schematics to look at how the circuit is set up. I Don't know if it goes through the BCM after the door harness plugs into the Side dash fuse box or if it drops straight down to the seat harness.

fl0w3n

Jan 8, 2015
Dang I always forget to check my All Data DIY for stuff like that. But after looking all I could find is an electrical schematic which doesn’t help answer the question