Intake air heater question

jpowel29

Feb 1, 2008
Bentonville, Arkansas
What would be the benefits & down side to removing the stock intake air heater grid (cold start issues, EFI Live tuning changes, etc)? The stock EGR cooler is coming off while the truck is getting new headers & up-pipes. Are there any good options in replacing the stock plumbing between the CAC and the engine.

Aside from making the top of the engine compartment much cleaner, what would the expected gains be?

Killerbee

Got Honey?
I have not ever inspected it, but I would not expect to find big improvements there. Being that it is the cold (low velocity) side of the cooling circuit, losses are at a minimum with stock chargers.

Without the grid, I would guess you would have cold start problems. But I know little about it, I assume it is used (in conjuction) with glow plugs? Maybe it can be removed, but I wouldn't do that before running a simple pressure differential test across it.

You do have an issue on the hot side, and replacing that 2.5" plumbing with 3" plumbing is a benefit, you will unleash 5% more air this way. (estimated).