Instrument cluster schematic

Whitetail Addict

Rockin' the stock tune
May 8, 2008
South Central Pennsylvania
Does anyone have a schematic for the circuit board in the instrument cluster?

I tore mine apart today (dead cluster issue and dim prnd indicator...finally had enough) and I can't seem to figure out were the issue may be.
I found two areas where the board looks brown, I'm going to reflow the solder joints on those, but I can't seem to find a loss of current to the gauges. I tested them with a multi-meter, I guess I need to find an ohm-meter tomorrow.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Did you ever test the voltage regulators that CC asked about in your thread from last year?

Whitetail Addict

Rockin' the stock tune
May 8, 2008
Did you ever test the voltage regulators that CC asked about in your thread from last year?

Well yes and no, Tom.

I inspected them for burn marks, and I also tested continuity. I won't get the ohm-meter til this evening. So I did test them with what equipment I have available, though it may not be the proper test equipment.

For what it's worth I have no continuity through the regulators.

Whitetail Addict

Rockin' the stock tune
May 8, 2008
Success! (knock-on-wood) Hopefully I'm not speaking too soon.

The cluster functions as a new one, "wakes up" on power on, and prnd indicator is as bright as can be. The indicator hasn't functioned for years. There goes my anti-theft device. :D

Whitetail Addict

Rockin' the stock tune
May 8, 2008
Oooookay.....what was it? :rofl:

Most everything checked out with the ohm-meter. The regulator(s) seemed to be working as they should.

I assume the issue was cold solder joints.

My Pap reheated the solder joints on the regulator, the 7 511 resistors on the left side of the speedometer, and the 3 240s on the right side. The one 511 (lower right side of the 7) was held on by very little solder (it moved with heat), so I put it back in place and he reattached it. These were the areas that showed the brown discoloration around the connections.

My Pap has a lot more experience with circuit boards and connectors than I do (he retired from a company that made connectors and circuit boards)...so I learned some stuff today.

Last edited:

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Thanks. I do need to take my cluster out and fix some things. Ive been putting it off, like a lot of things. That pesky little bulb by the regulators for one, the PRNDL for two. Want to trace that pathway for the 4x4 indicator too.

I found the two pics of what you were talking about.

Whitetail Addict

Rockin' the stock tune
May 8, 2008
Yep, those look very familiar.

The 511s weren't as discolored as those in the first picture, but the 240s showed a little more discoloration.

The regulator is the black box shown in the upper right of the lower picture.

I should've taken pictures, but I didn't think of it.

A pencil-tipped soldering iron was helpful...the soldering gun I had wasn't going to work.

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Brandon, thanks for the motivation to get my cluster fixed. 10 new bulbs, seven soldered resistors and 2 hours of my time and now my cluster is like new again. :thumb: But damn, that PRNDL indicator is bright. I had to turn the backlighting down. :rofl:

Whitetail Addict

Rockin' the stock tune
May 8, 2008
Brandon, thanks for the motivation to get my cluster fixed. 10 new bulbs, seven soldered resistors and 2 hours of my time and now my cluster is like new again. :thumb: But damn, that PRNDL indicator is bright. I had to turn the backlighting down. :rofl:

I'm glad to hear you got it fixed. :thumb:

I know exactly what you're saying about the PRND indicator.

whiteknightz28

Nov 21, 2013
Thanks to everyone who posted on here! I haven't seen the PRNDL in 100k miles! All of my guages had stopped working about 10k miles ago. I originally bought this truck for $6500, sold it for $10k with the guages working most of the time, then bought it back last week with no gauges for $2500. I now have made a $1000 profit and still own the truck! LOL Love this truck! Now thanks to you guys its all working again.

Atorres

Dec 11, 2013
NM
Thanks to this thread I don't have to bang on my dash to light up my PRNDL/odometer indicator anymore! Really easy to do and only took about 45 minutes. Thank you to everyone that posted about this!! Now on to fix my fuel gauge problem, not gonna be as easy or cheap:(

howie27ca

Nov 28, 2014
Cluster Problem

I have an 04 with Cluster issues. All gages dead. Check engine, blinkers and glo plugs lights work as well as lights work, In cold weather like 17 below the cluster will work for about 2 minutes then quit. is the same problem as what you guys were having. also I have looked at the board and the 511 and 240s are browned as well