Instrument cluster DEAD

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
I am at my limit of testing.

Instrument cluster is Dead. The DIC sometimes comes on, but its all of the LED's that come on. Gauge do not sweep. The glow plug light, check engine light, and other lights come on, but nothing in the "logic" of the dash works.

I have had the stepper motors replaced, but nothing is working so I don't think that is the issue. I cannot communicate with the instrument cluster with my Genisys Evo (I have used it to check gauge sweep before), so I don't know if its a communication error, the dash gave up on life, or if the BCM is dying. It did this about 6 months ago, and pulling and replacing the non blown fuse made it start working. Anyone have an idea?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
You should be getting bcm codes if it’s going and generally doesn’t effect just the cluster

You most likely need a cluster

BlkMax

Sep 1, 2008
Wasilla, AK
You can also try sending it out and getting it fixed. I have done that with 4 different clusters. If you don't get fancy with LED lighting, or different backgrounds or bezels, it is less than $200. Cheaper than buying a new cluster....

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX

Thanks. I reflowed all of the "big" resistors, the transformer, and the incoming connectors to board. This seems to have fixed the issue. Will know more tomorrow when I put it back in completely assembled.

I looked on several forums. Must have missed this one as I know I had seen the write up before.

Again thanks for the help. Saved me from sending it off to have it reflowed, and waiting to get it back. Hopefully I can get it reassembled and take it to the lease this weekend.