Allison 5sp: Installed tapshifter, couple questions.

Devon

broke my curse
May 2, 2010
Hinsdale ma
Ok bought a fleece tap shifter,everything went easy on install but I am curious. I own a 04.5 lly but has a 01 OS tcm tune in my truck which works alot better and shifts better than my factory tcm tune. But when I am cruising in 5th gear and press "-" on the shifter I get te OD lockout like said should be 4th gear. Well it stays in 5th still. Then I tap it down again and it goes from 5th right to 3rd gear. For some reason it's not recognizing the 4th gear(odlo) shift. I believe I can command it to stay in 4th while up shifting but it won't downshift from 5-4 i have to tap the - again and it goes to 3 then to 2 then to 1 like it should. Is this because of the 01 os tcm tune on a 04.5 lly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
I don't have a tap shifter in my 05 but I had tranny shifting issues too with the factory tcm, mainly a hang up in 3rd and terrible 2-3 and 3-4 shifts at 3/4 throttle. I tried a couple different tcm os's. The 01 and 02 would not allow o.d. lock out, but I found an 03 os that gave me the shifts I wanted and still let me use o.d. lockout

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Devon

broke my curse
May 2, 2010
Hinsdale ma
So it may just be my 01tcm not allowing lockout. The light still appears but it's not actually downshifting. And that's why I have a 01 OS now because of my 3-4 shift was like a old Chevelle as with Trans kit. It banged 3-4 really hard felt like a double shift but it was terrible. So I'm assuming the 4th gear issue on my tap is due to the different os.

Devon

broke my curse
May 2, 2010
Hinsdale ma
Mine was. The light came on the dash when I pushed the button but I got nothing

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Yup same issue. Looks like I may need to change tcm OS for my 4th gear to work on a downshift lol. I just don't want that horrible 3-4 shift again.

paul06d-max

Nov 18, 2010
Ok bought a fleece tap shifter,everything went easy on install but I am curious. I own a 04.5 lly but has a 01 OS tcm tune in my truck which works alot better and shifts better than my factory tcm tune. But when I am cruising in 5th gear and press "-" on the shifter I get te OD lockout like said should be 4th gear. Well it stays in 5th still. Then I tap it down again and it goes from 5th right to 3rd gear. For some reason it's not recognizing the 4th gear(odlo) shift. I believe I can command it to stay in 4th while up shifting but it won't downshift from 5-4 i have to tap the - again and it goes to 3 then to 2 then to 1 like it should. Is this because of the 01 os tcm tune on a 04.5 lly?

With your 01 OS TCM they do not see the OD Lockout so you won't get that option.. You could try to use the update for the 01-02 trucks that allow the OD Lock-out.. Aside from that you put your factory OS back in your TCM it will work fine.

Devon

broke my curse
May 2, 2010
Hinsdale ma
With your 01 OS TCM they do not see the OD Lockout so you won't get that option.. You could try to use the update for the 01-02 trucks that allow the OD Lock-out.. Aside from that you put your factory OS back in your TCM it will work fine.

A big problem with my harsh shifts from 3-4th gear was my original OS. So I don't want to do that. Even after Trans was refreshed on my old OS it had the same exact crap shifts. So i needed a different OS. I will try the update for 01-02 I guess. Thanks guys

JDub

Aug 9, 2009
Hooper, Utah
So i needed a different OS. I will try the update for 01-02 I guess. Thanks guys

I think the update flash for the latest 01-02 OS should resolve your problems... All the 01-02 trucks that install a Tapshifter require that reflash for it to work properly.

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
Your truck would be entirely different (better) if you modified that tcm file thats in there anyhow. Try the 02 file that enables OD lockout and see if it shifts as nicely first, then go from there.

Devon

broke my curse
May 2, 2010
Hinsdale ma
Your truck would be entirely different (better) if you modified that tcm file thats in there anyhow. Try the 02 file that enables OD lockout and see if it shifts as nicely first, then go from there.

Are you referring to me? If so then yeah that's what I was planning on. I really like the file that's in the truck now. Just need the odlo

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
It does take an OS that has ODLO. I have yet to tune a truck from various years and have problems with shift quality.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

diesel53

Sep 16, 2010
AZ
I think the update flash for the latest 01-02 OS should resolve your problems... All the 01-02 trucks that install a Tapshifter require that reflash for it to work properly.

So i bought a tapshifter/allilocker that was on an lly, says 01-05 on the module, is this useless on my truck? Or can I make it work? I didnt realize there are differences between 01-02's and 03-05's.

dist3allaround

Mar 20, 2013
Woodland, CA
If I understand all the different reading from here to fleece's website and the others, you need to find the 01-02 TCM update that has ODLO. The original factory tuning in our trucks never came with the OverDrive Lock Out feature programmed into the software.

radvans

Jun 4, 2007
SoCal
Wanted to bring this up again. The file on fleeces suite is no longer there. Does anyone have the TCM file needed for odlo on an 02?

I got my Oslo switch from BT but never got a reply from them to get the file.

radvans

Jun 4, 2007
SoCal
I found the files on DP. Easy to do once you have efi up to date.

Worked like a charm and the ODLO feature is exactly what I needed.

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/15...ng-software/308332-02-allison-od-lockout.html

Post #6 shows you where to get the file. TCM doesn't have issue with OS so you can install in full over your current. Make a copy of current first in case issues. If I understand correctly V8 won't allow full flash of TCM, so you have to use V7.5, or at least I did.