install help on lock up box / tap shifter

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
I emailed Ben but wanted to see if any one else knows , I just installed the combo unit in my tow truck and used the instructions for the lock up box for that portion and the tap shifter instructions for that portion but there are a few things that haven't been answered , on the tap shifter only box there is usually a pink wire that you switch to turn it on and off , but now with the lock up the pink wire goes to a key / hot source , all of the wires are hooked up and no extra's to turn on and off the tap shifter portion , the lock up box seems to be working but not sure how to activate the tap shifter ? any one else install one yet ?

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
Press and hold the "-" button...if I remember right

That got it activated , thanks Tim ! Do you know if there are problems with using the tap shifter with the 2001 OS ? I just checked it out and it still isnt working quite , I will take a vid of what its doing and post it up .

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
Shouldnt be because of the OS. Let me watch the vid first though,lol.

Edit: there looks to be two possibilities- one could be the resistance values or voltage from the buttons is not matching up to the range allowed in the programming, or the box is defective

I remember Ben changing something in the tcm tune to allow it to work, but I honestly cant remember what. He uses a 01 tcm file too

Last edited:

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
Shouldnt be because of the OS. Let me watch the vid first though,lol.

Edit: there looks to be two possibilities- one could be the resistance values or voltage from the buttons is not matching up to the range allowed in the programming, or the box is defective

I remember Ben changing something in the tcm tune to allow it to work, but I honestly cant remember what. He uses a 01 tcm file too

This is the second box , the first was doing something similar so doubt its the box , hopefully its just a TCM tune change or OS swap .

I believe my 02' required the OS to be changed when the Tapshifter was installed

Do you remember the OS # or even the year of truck its out of ?

JDub

Aug 9, 2009
Hooper, Utah
That had all been done when I bought the truck, so I'm not positive. But when I read my stock file to send to Rob the OS was 15186006.

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
That had all been done when I bought the truck, so I'm not positive. But when I read my stock file to send to Rob the OS was 15186006.

Thanks for the info Jacob , but that is the ECM OS , I might try a 2002 TCM OS .

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
I have tried 2 grounding locations , right at the battery and the BCM ground and no change , had to tear the whole dash out due to leaking A/C core behind the dash , we are putting it back together now and will try a different TCM OS later this after noon , was hoping to finally us the tap shifter for towing , hope the OS change does the trick .

AubleAK

Aug 5, 2011
Glennallen, AK
trent did you ever get this figured out? ben was supposed to send me a new box, but i havent got it and mines doing exactly the same thing.