Injectors

05' Ditry Duramax

May 3, 2008
Port Orchard Washington
The turbo-back, itself, won't make a difference, will it? Would Bully Dog be the way to go?

You will not see very much gain from the exhaust itself. It is a great starting mod and will be very useful down the road when you starting doing more mods to the truck.

Bully Dog would not be the choice of a lot of people on this forum. Their tunes have never proven to be that good. There are better choices out there and I would think a lot guys would agree with me.

05' Ditry Duramax

May 3, 2008
Port Orchard Washington
Wow, thats awesome! Mine is definately not tuned for mpg's but even when I keep my foot out of it I cant do any better than 10. This is in traffic too. I dont have gears either though.

I wouldn't say that mine is tuned for "milage", it has a nice street tune that is around 100hp. It's a really old tune that i've never messed with and got from a friend. I really like it and run it 99% of the time. It just works out for my truck. I can tell you that I don't get that when I run my big tune. Sure is a lot of fun though. I got lucky with the setup, stupid luck but i'll take it any day.

You would be really suprized what the gears would do. Worth every penny spent. When I was running 36's on a 100% stock truck my milage wasn't that bad but I never did 20mpg. Never hand calulated it out or gave it too much thought. Once the 37's went on, that was the breaking point. It killed the truck. Milage went to shit and it wouldn't get out of it's own way. That's when I started to care because I was commuting almost 100 miles a day just going to work. It got expensive real quick. None of the mods that i've done have been for fuel economy. Just kinda how it worked out.

BMF_GMC

Drknght
Apr 20, 2010
Virginia Beach
You will not see very much gain from the exhaust itself. It is a great starting mod and will be very useful down the road when you starting doing more mods to the truck.

Bully Dog would not be the choice of a lot of people on this forum. Their tunes have never proven to be that good. There are better choices out there and I would think a lot guys would agree with me.

What are some of the other options that you would recommend? The only one's I know of are Banks and Bully Dog.

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
The turbo-back, itself, won't make a difference, will it? Would Bully Dog be the way to go?

What are some of the other options that you would recommend? The only one's I know of are Banks and Bully Dog.

I would not recommend either of those, and would recommend Banks over Bully Dog on most products.

I would recommend going with parts that are the best bang for the buck for each modification that you do. My list goes something like this:

Intake: I always recommend a sealed box unit (true cold-air intake), not an open filter design that sucks in hot air from under the hood. S&B is the best bang for the buck IMO at $269. Banks is another nice setup but at $399 it's a little over-priced IMO.
Exhaust: 4" is all you need, 5" is just for looks and sound preference; aluminized lasts forever on a diesel, stainless is only worth it in a place that roads get heavily salted. MBRP 4" kit is $300.72
Tuning: EFI Live custom tuning from a well known, reputable tuner with good customer service.

Those are the basics to get you started. Do some research and reading on the forums to get real-world opinions from guys that own these trucks. If you read the magazines you'll see 4 page ads from some companies and think they are the best, then you will see "un-biased" reviews of those companies' products - do you really think that a magazine editor is going to print negative things about products made by a company that spends thousands a month on advertising in that magazine?

ChevyDieselLLY

Whats A Budget???
Apr 1, 2008
MI, NC, now Hawaii
Once you get back to the states head down to North Carolina and talk to Dustin ^^^ he has always taken good care of me and my truck. (some times i think my truck likes him more then me)

BMF_GMC

Drknght
Apr 20, 2010
Virginia Beach
I would not recommend either of those, and would recommend Banks over Bully Dog on most products.

I would recommend going with parts that are the best bang for the buck for each modification that you do. My list goes something like this:

Intake: I always recommend a sealed box unit (true cold-air intake), not an open filter design that sucks in hot air from under the hood. S&B is the best bang for the buck IMO at $269. Banks is another nice setup but at $399 it's a little over-priced IMO.
Exhaust: 4" is all you need, 5" is just for looks and sound preference; aluminized lasts forever on a diesel, stainless is only worth it in a place that roads get heavily salted. MBRP 4" kit is $300.72
Tuning: EFI Live custom tuning from a well known, reputable tuner with good customer service.

Those are the basics to get you started. Do some research and reading on the forums to get real-world opinions from guys that own these trucks. If you read the magazines you'll see 4 page ads from some companies and think they are the best, then you will see "un-biased" reviews of those companies' products - do you really think that a magazine editor is going to print negative things about products made by a company that spends thousands a month on advertising in that magazine?

It sounds like I need to dig through some more magizines to get some tips. Of course, I don't trust ads. I know they're biased. Thanks othrgrl for your setup. That'll get me pointed in the right direction.

Once you get back to the states head down to North Carolina and talk to Dustin ^^^ he has always taken good care of me and my truck. (some times i think my truck likes him more then me)

You're in Jacksonville? What's the name of the shop?

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
It sounds like I need to dig through some more magizines to get some tips. Of course, I don't trust ads. I know they're biased. Thanks othrgrl for your setup. That'll get me pointed in the right direction.

I was hinting at the fact that you typically can't trust the "unbiased" write-ups done by the writers and editors in magazines either. If the magazine is testing a product from one of their biggest advertisers (typically Banks) do you really think they are going to threaten that advertising account by writing their negative thoughts on the product? Like I said I would recommend reading the reviews and opinions of the true end users who are in no way associated with the company they are talking about. Another option is to talk to a shop that specializes specifically in the Duramax and deals with them on a day-to-day basis - they know what works and what doesn't and should be able to guide you in the right direction.

BMF_GMC

Drknght
Apr 20, 2010
Virginia Beach
I was hinting at the fact that you typically can't trust the "unbiased" write-ups done by the writers and editors in magazines either. If the magazine is testing a product from one of their biggest advertisers (typically Banks) do you really think they are going to threaten that advertising account by writing their negative thoughts on the product? Like I said I would recommend reading the reviews and opinions of the true end users who are in no way associated with the company they are talking about. Another option is to talk to a shop that specializes specifically in the Duramax and deals with them on a day-to-day basis - they know what works and what doesn't and should be able to guide you in the right direction.

Good point. On that note, is there anyone here near Va Beach?
Chevy...you mentioned NC. That's a 4 hour hike. If I can find something closer, that would be great.

JD4440

<< Lo-Carb Monster
Feb 27, 2009
Orlinda, TN
If your ordering a 2012 you won't have to worry about injectors, tuning , or pretty much anything else for some time on the LML.

BMF_GMC

Drknght
Apr 20, 2010
Virginia Beach
If your ordering a 2012 you won't have to worry about injectors, tuning , or pretty much anything else for some time on the LML.

I was thinking the same thing.
Another point of interest...won't anything more than intake and exhaust void the warranty?
Also, would the lift void the warranty?

ChevyDieselLLY

Whats A Budget???
Apr 1, 2008
MI, NC, now Hawaii
Not sure what diesel shops are in VA. If you want to add power and a lift why buy a new truck tho? Get something a few years old and not have a payment or as big of one. Just my 2 cents

The shop in NC I was talking about is diesel addiction

BMF_GMC

Drknght
Apr 20, 2010
Virginia Beach
Not sure what diesel shops are in VA. If you want to add power and a lift why buy a new truck tho? Get something a few years old and not have a payment or as big of one. Just my 2 cents

The shop in NC I was talking about is diesel addiction

I'm paying cash for the truck. No payment.
I've been considering a 2009 or 10 though...just so I have enough left over to get my Harley too.