LBZ: Injector rates - LBZ

YoungGunDiesel

Jul 19, 2017
Well I decided it was time for a new thread specifically for one issue and not for me to jump between 100.

With my PITA LBZ I’ve finally ordered a auto cal and pulled injector rates.

For those who don’t know my truck smokes what I assume raw fuel like no tomorrow. So I bought and installed new injectors and it still smokes like no tomorrow.

So after scratching my head and doing numerous tests and diagnostic the old school way I broke down and got my own AutoCal.

Being the first time I used it correct me if the following seems wrong.

In neutral, at a idle. Warmed up. These where my balance rates

Cylinder1 (-4)
Cylinder2 (bounced between -4 to +12)
Cylinder3 (-4)
Cylinder4 (-4)
Cylinder5 (-4)
Cylinder6 (-4)
Cylinder7 (+12)
Cylinder8 (+12)

All cylinders aside #2 stayed at there respective areas -/+ 4 for 1/3/4/5/6

Cylinders 7/8 stayed pegged at +12 the entire time

Cylinder 2 was across the board -4 at times. 0 at others then randomly pegged at 12 for a good amount.

Am I safe in saying I need to call the warranty center for 2/7/8 and have replacements shipped to me? I have no CEL on for injector or fuel related issues.

Thank you again.

jpowel29

Feb 1, 2008
Bentonville, Arkansas
Any misfire or other codes? Might also be worthwhile to pull the crank sensor (to verify if the tone wheel is tight). Pull the serpentine belt off and check to see if the balancer is loose (broken crank).

YoungGunDiesel

Jul 19, 2017
Any misfire or other codes? Might also be worthwhile to pull the crank sensor (to verify if the tone wheel is tight). Pull the serpentine belt off and check to see if the balancer is loose (broken crank).

Cylinder 4 misfire. But that’s covered in a much lengthier topic on here that I rather not get off track with again haha.

But I’m learning this all right now so bare with my questions but the crank sensor and balancer can cause these issues too?

I shall also check that tonight

jpowel29

Feb 1, 2008
Bentonville, Arkansas
I was considering the fact that you said you were having bad balance rates with new injectors. My thought was that the root cause might be somewhere other than the injectors. I didn't realize that you had already covered misfire issues. A loose tone wheel or excessive crankshaft flex could cause all sorts of issues that the injectors may get the blame for.