LB7: injector problem questions

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
shop.dieselmafiaperformance.com
well i had a bad balance rate on number 1 after the races in AZ and today i replaced number one i have 45% nozzles so i had to swap it over to the new injector well put it in an white smoke at start up was worse and the balance rate was worse i was like wtf?? Took it for a drive and holy shit got down the road a bit an it started knocking and rattling and puking white smoke got it back to the shop then i tore it down again(i had another new injector) and this time i took a know good injector already in number 3 put in number 1 cylinder and put the new injector in cylinder 3 to see if it followed or something was up with cylinder 1(again i swapped the 45% nozzle on to it) and got it together again....

Then started it again white smoke like crazy and balance rate was bad on cylinder 3 so it follows that nozzle so am i correct in thinking the nozzle is bad??? its a extrude hone nozzle two new injectors couldnt be bad outta the box could they?

any input would be nice

Last edited:

Mike_S

OOPS!
Nov 18, 2009
Idaho
So the ballance rate follows the nozzle correct? I dont know why you have so much trouble with injectors. Is the ballance rate positive or negative?

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
-7.00 or worse smokes white like a biatch and yes bad balance rate followed the nozzle that came outta the number 1 injector and no idea why i have issues tried additives two stroke oil 1 micron filters its on the tow tune 90% of the time so it only sees 1600pw egts are cool on the tow tune rail pressure no more then 26k im lost as to why i have had 5 injectors go :(

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
have you tried puttin the one that showed "1" on the balace rates back in?

What do you mean? i took number 1 out cause it showed a bad balance rate replaced it no change tried another neew injector but this time i took the whole injector from number 3 put it in number 1 and the new one in number 3 now 3 has a bad balance rate it follows that nozzle.....

xcablb7

Feb 8, 2009
Fall River
Nozzle could be cracked, never seen it but heard the f1 injectors from don m are made from blanks of another material to prevent this

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
What do you mean? i took number 1 out cause it showed a bad balance rate replaced it no change tried another neew injector but this time i took the whole injector from number 3 put it in number 1 and the new one in number 3 now 3 has a bad balance rate it follows that nozzle.....

oh my bad, i though the cyl one you replaced showed a balance rate of 1 lol. my head aint on straight today

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
That's my thought to I'm sending Jim some spare new nozzles I had to have them done an sending the one I think is bad in to be checked out

I am not a fan of that method.... say you take a brand new nozzle vs. One that has 50,000 miles the one that has the mileage will not flow the same as the new one. I would have them all checked at the same time. In case one is already 10% larger than the others

Mike_S

OOPS!
Nov 18, 2009
Idaho
I am not a fan of that method.... say you take a brand new nozzle vs. One that has 50,000 miles the one that has the mileage will not flow the same as the new one. I would have them all checked at the same time. In case one is already 10% larger than the others

I must have really really good luck, mine had about 90K on them when i had the nozzles extrude honed, and everything is good in my build. While i agree with you completely about the differing mileage bringing differing flows, if the nozzles are all honed out to flow the same rate, and not just honed out a percent more than they already flow, the rate should be close enough to be acceptable IMO.

Jake, i do know of at least one other person who had a nozzle go bad after being enlarged, and run for several thousand miles. Replaced the nozzle and all is good after. I just dont understand why you have such shitty luck with injectors.

jmaz268

Lead from the Front
May 20, 2010
Springfield IL
I remember seeing back a few months ago that the cylinders in EFI aren't true ones. Maybe I'm on crack though, but I could have sworn I see EFI didnt corespond to what they really are.

wilsonck

May 8, 2008
Calgary, Ab
They are correct for balance rates. I think the problem was with the dvt controls in the scan tool.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
Nozzles do go bad so to speak. The extruding process with used injectors doesn't have a great track record when it comes to lasting. Most injector problems end up coming from contamination into the system during installations. You have to be extremely clean and don't take it for granted.

xcablb7

Feb 8, 2009
Fall River
When they did mine I sent 8 used nozzles they flowed them all and brought them all to the same amount so I guess they averaged 80% over some maybe went 75 some 85 but in the end they are now all equal, and my balance rates are fine all under 2

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
Nozzles do go bad so to speak. The extruding process with used injectors doesn't have a great track record when it comes to lasting. Most injector problems end up coming from contamination into the system during installations. You have to be extremely clean and don't take it for granted.

Yea I'm very clean in this process as I know all the parts need to be spotless an are delicate an like excablb7 said that's how mine were done all matched to flow the same so I should be safe having one flowed to 45%

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
well jim called me back an said the nozzle tested out totally fine???? couldnt find any cracks nothing so either i got two new injectors that were shit or something else is funny here he's doing a couple new nozzles for me im going to try putting one of them on see if anything changes. Not sure what else to do jim said hes seen my problem a couple times an to try a different nozzles to be sure so