LB7: Injector issue or not?

LB7Diesel

Oh Boy!
Sep 3, 2006
Melbourne, F.L.
I have a friend whose LB7 is doing some strange things, I'll try and explain this as best I can.

This is an 02 lb7 with 208K on it. The injectors have been replaced twice, most recent was 45K ago. The truck knocks so bad right now @ idle that it sounds like there's a monkey inside the engine with hammers, it also pours black smoke out of it so bad it will blind you. I ran the scan tool on it to check balance rates and here is where it get's interesting. All of the injectors read 0.00 until the idle jumps up every now and then by 100rpm's, then 3 of the inj go to 11.5 for a split second then back to 0. There is one that will go to 10.2 then back to 0. I have never seen balance rates look like this before. They will only jump up to these #'s for a split second and the only way to see what they went to is my looking at the max value. 3 of the inj never read anything other than 0.

Does anyone have an idea of what's going on? It sounds electrical to me, like maybe wires rubbed through somewhere. No codes either

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
FICM??? Thats a good many miles on one.

any tuning on the truck? if so, does it do it regardless of which tune is in it???

When is the black smoke pouring out.

C-ya

LB7Diesel

Oh Boy!
Sep 3, 2006
Melbourne, F.L.
FICM??? Thats a good many miles on one.

any tuning on the truck? if so, does it do it regardless of which tune is in it???

When is the black smoke pouring out.

C-ya

No tuning ever. Bone stock. I also logged RP and everything looked great. Actual was right there with commanded.

Terrible black smoke at idle. Funny thing is that his wife was driving the truck home from a horse show when this happened. She said once you hit 75mph the truck ran fine? WTF??

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
:screwy:

Did you log the commanded vs actual mm3???

The 100rpm pulse at idle is pretty typical of an LB7 isn't it? I thought it was anyways. Mine, my wife's and friends all do it. Just figure the regulators are fluctuating a little bit but not really a problem until they are really loping.

As for the black smoke at idle. I don't know what would be causing it to dump all that fuel at idle. If it's not commanding that kind of fuel shot (i tried to get mine to do this and couldn't get it there via tuning but then again, maybe I didn't adjust enough??) in the tuning then wouldn't that lead to a mechanical issue???

Perhaps the inj. with rates at 0.00 are trying to compensate for the three that are dumping the insane amount of fuel???

I can't think of what mechanical failure, short of a tip blown off, that would dump that kind of fuel at idle. Then if it were a blown tip, it sure wouldn't clear up at 75mph. :rofl:

I'm stumped but then again, that probably doesn't take much. :eek:

How's the oil look?

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
What are you using for a scan tool? If you can get ahold of a Tech II you can command each inrector off and figuring out which one or more are spent.

From what you describe sounds like he definately has injector issues. I had one knock so bad once you'd sware it was a rod bearing ready to let go.

LB7Diesel

Oh Boy!
Sep 3, 2006
Melbourne, F.L.
:screwy:

Did you log the commanded vs actual mm3???

The 100rpm pulse at idle is pretty typical of an LB7 isn't it? I thought it was anyways. Mine, my wife's and friends all do it. Just figure the regulators are fluctuating a little bit but not really a problem until they are really loping.

As for the black smoke at idle. I don't know what would be causing it to dump all that fuel at idle. If it's not commanding that kind of fuel shot (i tried to get mine to do this and couldn't get it there via tuning but then again, maybe I didn't adjust enough??) in the tuning then wouldn't that lead to a mechanical issue???

Perhaps the inj. with rates at 0.00 are trying to compensate for the three that are dumping the insane amount of fuel???

I can't think of what mechanical failure, short of a tip blown off, that would dump that kind of fuel at idle. Then if it were a blown tip, it sure wouldn't clear up at 75mph. :rofl:

I'm stumped but then again, that probably doesn't take much. :eek:

How's the oil look?

I didn't look at the mm3. I should have. I was just so stumped when 3 of the inj never read anything that I didn't even think about seeing actually how much fuel it was dumping. It's def injecting a large amount of fuel! I'm starting to think the dealer didn't change all 8 inj last time like they said they did. And now one of the old ones took a crap.

Oil was right on the mark, and no fuel.

What are you using for a scan tool? If you can get ahold of a Tech II you can command each inrector off and figuring out which one or more are spent.

From what you describe sounds like he definately has injector issues. I had one knock so bad once you'd sware it was a rod bearing ready to let go.

EFI for scanning. Tech II would def answer it. 208K is the problem going to the dealer right now. Might try and locate one elsewhere.

Yes, this is a very violent knock also!!! Kinda scary. When I first cranked it, I was like Holy Sh@t shut it down:eek:, and had to re-ask him if that's what it sounds like. He said yeah, she drove it home that way!!:rofl: