Injector harness or bad injector?

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
Had #7 injector harness hit me about a year ago, quick ice pick and it's been good ever since. Leaving work this morning, fired it up and let it idle for 2-3 minutes like usual. I felt a very slight hiccup but didn't think anything of it. Hop on the freeway and bam, tractor mode. Pull off and scan it..injector #2 open circuit. So I figure #2 needs ice picked, so I limp it back to my work and take care of it. I drive it 18 miles home and just as I pull in my neighborhood, tractor mode again. So I ice pick it once again, there is no way the connector is not making good contact.

Quick test drive and I get about a mile from the house and it goes tractor mode for the 3rd time.

I checked balance rates about 3 weeks ago and it was still in "spec". But that of course doesn't really mean a whole lot since parts fail at random.

Does this sound like a dead/dying injector? For all I know the solenoids/bodies have 170,000 miles on them, I swapped on 30% nozzles about 2 years ago. I have to snag my v2 from my buddies tonight so I can do some better in depth diagnostics.

Do the solenoids have a specific ohm rating i can check for?

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Don't #2 connectors break in the pins where the wire connects because of the wire angle? I would try a new connector before I bought an injector.

If no one knows a ohm reading check one of the others on your truck that's good.

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
Don't #2 connectors break in the pins where the wire connects because of the wire angle? I would try a new connector before I bought an injector.

If no one knows a ohm reading check one of the others on your truck that's good.

Yea the #2 and #7 connectors are known to have issues which is why I originally thought ice pick. But that hasn't seemed to solve anything. I'll inspect the connector/wires closer and see what I can find.

I was going to order the updated wire harness fix but people want $250+ for that kit. I can't justify that kind of money on 2 connectors and a few crimp on butt splice connectors. That rediculous.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Yea the #2 and #7 connectors are known to have issues which is why I originally thought ice pick. But that hasn't seemed to solve anything. I'll inspect the connector/wires closer and see what I can find.

I was going to order the updated wire harness fix but people want $250+ for that kit. I can't justify that kind of money on 2 connectors and a few crimp on butt splice connectors. That rediculous.

Yea the price of that update kit is crazy! Luckily mine already has it!

e46_330i

Jun 26, 2013
Youngsville, NC
Have you checked the harness itself and not the connectors? I ice picked #8 numerous times with no such luck. Ripped the harness apart and sure as shit. Rubbed through a tiny bit. Would intermittently ground out and go to knocking. If it was running good I could shake the harness and it would go into tractor mode. Fixed that and not a single problem since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Mine has this phantom fuel knock as well, then goes bat shit crazy for a bit then runs normal... But never pops a code. It's been ice picked and the harness was adjusted to give more slack to the connectors and protected from the normal rub spots. I haven't been able to see any difference in any of the injectors with a tech 2, fuel pressure doesn't seem to matter either. I have shut each injector off one at a time and waited for the knock, knocked on all 8. My guess is one injector is mechanically opening whenever it wants, randomly. Need to run a an injector return rate test just to make sure they are all in spec, then send them off to be tested and hope they catch the bad one. I also swapped all the speed sensors, ficm, tuning & ecm with known good ones. Only thing left is the injectors and wiring harness...

Anyway Mike, post up what you find as I will double check on my truck to rule it out as my issue...

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
Found some time and tore into it. Wiring is physically good, and the injectors ohms exactly like the others. I simply think the connector just wasn't making good contact. I redid the ice pic on both sides of the connector. If it still has issues, I will order new connectors.

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
Ok, I am a complete idiot. I cannot believe I did that, not only once but 4 times...

Not sure how i got so confused but i finally realized i was ice picking #1 injector and not #2. I freakin ice picked #1 injector 4 times. Then it clicked...

So needless to say, I ice picked the real #2 this time and the truck runs like a champ again. The connector had alot of residue in it. Looks like coolant got in there somehow and dried up. Cleaned it all out, ice picked it and it's back to normal.

Facepalm to the fullest extent.

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
I told my buddy of the I've pick trick as he's a mechanic, I figured it would help him if he ever got in a lly. He said he already knew of the problem, and they take the pins out and pop the plastic apart and sand the connection down and die electric grease them. It's just what he said they have always done. He said he didn't think customers would like them stabbing through there harnesses and leaving a hole lol. Just throwing it out there might be another less emergency type fix

Max Attitude

11SIX
Mar 7, 2012
Caledonia, MI
Ok, I am a complete idiot. I cannot believe I did that, not only once but 4 times...

Not sure how i got so confused but i finally realized i was ice picking #1 injector and not #2. I freakin ice picked #1 injector 4 times. Then it clicked...

So needless to say, I ice picked the real #2 this time and the truck runs like a champ again. The connector had alot of residue in it. Looks like coolant got in there somehow and dried up. Cleaned it all out, ice picked it and it's back to normal.

:roflmao: At least you had the balls to admit it.

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL

I once diag'd #7 injector bad on an lmm but swapped out #5. Reprogrammed the #7 flow rate and everything. Still knocked like hell. I was ready to quote a motor for the damn thing. Then I realized how much of a dipshit I am.

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
shop.dieselmafiaperformance.com
I once diag'd #7 injector bad on an lmm but swapped out #5. Reprogrammed the #7 flow rate and everything. Still knocked like hell. I was ready to quote a motor for the damn thing. Then I realized how much of a dipshit I am.

I did the same ****ing thing on a lbz :banghead: except I did number 1 instead of number 3 started it still knocked.... then the your a dumbass sign went off in my head to smh....