Injector Cups

Jared Duramax

<---- $$$ Whore!!
Feb 13, 2008
Matthews NC
how is everybody removing the injector cups on the LB7 i need to pull all mine out and re do them. is the GM tool required or is there another company making a tool for this.

Thank You

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Should just slide out? take the injector and wiggle it in the cup
there is a tool from GM to install and remove them ( same tool ) bit ive never used it

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
So there is no torque spec for seating the cup? Just use red locktite? The cups dont thread in or press in?

Really all that holds them in is the injector hold downs after you stick the injector in

I used the oposite end of the rubber mallot and another one to tap the cup in once its flush your good to go

I used vasoline on the 2 O-Rings that are on the top outside of the cup

once they are done you are suppose to let them sit for a while before cranking the motor

also i used red locktite gel

NelsonDiesel

Formerly StewieTuned
May 8, 2008
Buena Park, CA
www.NelsonDiesel.com
you will need the tool if you do all 8.

some will be in there good while others will just pop right out.

the tool is nice for reinstalling too. The sleeves MUST be straight when reinstalled. I use 2 fingers to hold it then set the sleeve in the hole and move it around a bit while pushing to allow the first O ring to seat in the hole. I will then use the tool to hammer into place or take a socket the same size as the sleeve, flip the socket upside down and put an extension on it. Then lightly tap it until it is all the way in.

~~~not to scare you but if you force the sleeve in slightly crooked theres a good chance you will need a new head. I have heard horrow stories of new techs doing that...

Jared Duramax

<---- $$$ Whore!!
Feb 13, 2008
Matthews NC
hopefully i am going to tear into it next weekend (weekend of the 4th) it all really depends on when my buddie can help out and how far i decide to go into the motor.

I really appreciate you willing to loan me the tool but i would rather buy it instead of taking the chance of it getting lost or broke. Thank You anyways:hug:

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
one side down, one to go.

You have to love when you expext a bucnch of loctite on the cups from the recently done injectors and cups at the local dealer and there is non to be found:mad:

problem was in #3 cylinder but none of the cups had any loctite on them

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
one side down, one to go.

You have to love when you expext a bucnch of loctite on the cups from the recently done injectors and cups at the local dealer and there is non to be found:mad:

problem was in #3 cylinder but none of the cups had any loctite on them

:eek: Saves time with cleaning the old loc-tite:D

Jared Duramax

<---- $$$ Whore!!
Feb 13, 2008
Matthews NC
we both had this exact same look when we pulled the first cup out :eek: i instantly got pissed and got even more pissed the farther we tore it down. also some of the injector hold down clamps were not tight :mad:

its been a long day i will finish the other side tomorrow

Jared Duramax

<---- $$$ Whore!!
Feb 13, 2008
Matthews NC
More bad news the farther i dig (this is all on the drivers side)

cylinder # 4 cup was cracked
cylinder 2 had 4 threads holding the injector hold down,
cylinder 2 and 8 the cups were siezed on the injector (big F"in pliers to remove)
Cylinder 6 cup only had one o ring
No locktight on any cups
mismatched bolts on upper valve cover (allens and 12 mm bolts and striped headed allens)
lower valve cover all bolts had striped heads except 3
no cups were salvageable had to replace all 4
valve lash was .030 on the tightest one before dismantle (supposed to be .012)

as you can see i am extreamly pissed and will be having a nice long chat with the mechanic who did the injectors and his boss.
This just goes to show you that if it is an important piece of your truck you just have to get your hands dirty and do it yourself.

Last edited:

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
More bad news the farther i dig (this is all on the drivers side)

cylinder # 4 cup was cracked
cylinder 2 had 4 threads holding the injector hold down,
cylinder 2 and 8 the cups were siezed on the injector (big F"in pliers to remove)
Cylinder 6 cup only had one o ring
No locktight on any cups
mismatched bolts on upper valve cover (allens and 12 mm bolts and striped headed allens)
lower valve cover all bolts had striped heads except 3
no cups were salvageable had to replace all 4
valve lash was .030 on the tightest one before dismantle (supposed to be .012)

as you can see i am extreamly pissed and will be having a nice long chat with the mechanic who did the injectors and his boss.
This just goes to show you that if it is an important piece of your truck you just have to get your hands dirty and do it yourself.

Sorry to hear this

I would like to have better bolts when I put mine back together this winter

Jared Duramax

<---- $$$ Whore!!
Feb 13, 2008
Matthews NC
now i am trying to fill the coolant up and noticed the vally filling with coolant also so i started looking and the upper steel line has a torn o ring on the bottom so back to napa for the 4th time for this project:mad:

Jared Duramax

<---- $$$ Whore!!
Feb 13, 2008
Matthews NC
project is completed and the truck runs much smoother now and much quieter after a big valve lash adjustment;)

but now when i get on it the truck wants to fall on its face..... and before it pulled like a train no matter what:confused: