LB7: Injector Balance Rates

williambryan

Sep 5, 2011
Balance rates are as follows: 1.3, .5, 2.4, .3, 2.5, 1.2, 4.5, and 1.5. Tested by GM dealership. Truck has always had filters changed and 20% of fuel has had additive..........does not smoke, make oil and gets an honest 18.5 mpg at 62 mph. Engine has 160000 miles. Does this test confirm that the injectors are bad? They also said the fuel pressure reg is failing.

I didn't realize what the dealer had written there are some minus's they are as follows: 1.3, .5, 2.4, -3, 2.5, 1.2, -4.5, -1.5 PLEASE PROVIDE SOME MORE COMMENTS REGARDING IF I NEED TO CHANGE THE INJECTORS. THANKS

Last edited:

coker6303

Keep Calm and Chive On!!
Aug 6, 2009
Houston, TX
The 4.5 is on its way but i don't think you should change anything yet.

delivered via tapatalk by your forum daddy!!

williambryan

Sep 5, 2011
Balance rate

Just what does the balance rate mean and what is good? You mentioned 4.5 is on it way out ..............I thought this was probably the good one

coker6303

Keep Calm and Chive On!!
Aug 6, 2009
Houston, TX
+/- 4.0 is what you are looking for according to gm. Your 4.5 is just out of spec, but not way out like some have been.

Hopefully someone else will chime in.

What symtoms are you having since you are worried about balance rates?

williambryan

Sep 5, 2011
Balance rates are as follows: 1.3, .5, 2.4, .3, 2.5, 1.2, 4.5, and 1.5. Tested by GM dealership. Truck has always had filters changed and 20% of fuel has had additive..........does not smoke, make oil and gets an honest 18.5 mpg at 62 mph. Engine has 160000 miles. Does this test confirm that the injectors are bad? They also said the fuel pressure reg is failing.

I didn't realize what the dealer had written there are some minus's they are as follows: 1.3, .5, 2.4, -3, 2.5, 1.2, -4.5, -1.5 PLEASE PROVIDE SOME MORE COMMENTS REGARDING IF I NEED TO CHANGE THE INJECTORS. THANKS

coker6303

Keep Calm and Chive On!!
Aug 6, 2009
Houston, TX
Relax! Keep driving it, you don't have anything to worry about yet.

What year truck is this on? 160K and injectors look that good, i'm guessing it's an LBZ.

As far as the FPR failing, you still need to tell us why you are worried about any of this. What symtoms are you having? Something wrong? What triggered you to start checking these things out?

williambryan

Sep 5, 2011
Updated balance rate

+/- 4.0 is what you are looking for according to gm. Your 4.5 is just out of spec, but not way out like some have been.

Hopefully someone else will chime in.

What symtoms are you having since you are worried about balance rates?

Delivered via tapatalk by your forum daddy!!

i have 160000 miles on them and want to know if they need changed as the dealer advised. Also, noticed the dealer's documention on scrap paper has some minus on some of the numbers. 1.3, .5, 2.4, -3, 2.5, 1.2, -4.5, -1.5 please advise on these different numbers thanks

coker6303

Keep Calm and Chive On!!
Aug 6, 2009
Houston, TX
If they are offering to change them at no cost to you then go for it. If they are suggesting you change them and it will cost you out of pocket then you are crazy to do so.

williambryan

Sep 5, 2011
Balance rate

relax! Keep driving it, you don't have anything to worry about yet.

What year truck is this on? 160k and injectors look that good, i'm guessing it's an lbz.

As far as the fpr failing, you still need to tell us why you are worried about any of this. What symtoms are you having? Something wrong? What triggered you to start checking these things out?
i am retired and once a year i go on a long trip with my camper and worried that the injectors will go out on a trip leaving me at the mercy of a dealership. I have 3 friends with same model truck that had to change injectors at less than 130k, i am a retired acft mech and although diesel is not my strong point i have the ability to change them myself. I am the original owner can't afford a new one and want to keep it dependable. Year is 2003 DOESN'T SMOKE, DOESN'T MAKE OIL, RUNS SMOOTH, GETS 18.5 MPG AT 62 MPH

Last edited:

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
If your worried about them, then do it. 160k on LB7 injectors is good... You have one that is borderline & could stay that way along time or crap out tomorrow. So it's your call.

BCata

BCata
Dec 14, 2010
Boerne, Tx
yes you can test balance rates with an xcelerator. when you get to the main menu on the programmer it should say data scanning as an option. once you select data scanning you should start the engine and it will start showing you real time data. Use the down arrow button to scroll through the options. it gives you real time data on alot of things.