LBZ: info

ChadS

Nov 27, 2012
west bend wisconsin
Im looking to buy a 2006 dramax with 132000 on it...any concerns i should have? Im new to diesel and transforming over from gas. They put all new glow plugs in it. With that many miles any thing i should look over or look for? When test drove it seem to be very solid and tranny shifted well.

When looking at the engine all the way to the back and to the right of the intake manifold, that silver piping seems to have oil leaking on to it from were it is going into a rubber boot. It kinda concerns me.

Also how many more miles can i expect out of a it seeing it has 132000 miles.

Thanks and any info is well appreciated

GeneralTJI

Turbo Todd
Jun 1, 2010
Colorado
When looking at the engine all the way to the back and to the right of the intake manifold, that silver piping seems to have oil leaking on to it from were it is going into a rubber boot. It kinda concerns me.

Pretty normal, this is the outlet on the turbo. Must be a bit of oil vapor that escapes and then of course dirt/dust collects. I mean, I guess it's not supposed to happen, but most I've seen have this and run fine.

132,000 if properly maintained is nothing.

A fellow on one of the other diesel boards with an 06 is over 600,000.... It wasn't until the 630ish area that he did his injectors iirc. Before that I think he had to do the water pump once or twice, and an idler pulley, and I believe that was it! ... and his truck pulls a trailer nearly all the time.

Not all are going to go that far of course... But if you don't beat it to death, I don't think it's asking too much to get 300,000 before anything major happens...

mrbonklavy

i wanna go fast
Nov 23, 2012
ohio
just bought one with 158,000 didnt blink an eye, like general said 600,000 is a walk inthe park for these trucks. one thing to check out is the VIN if the 8th or 9th digit is "d" it has a lbz vs. lly. both are great engines but lbz is basically an lly only perfected, check the electronic stuff dash lights, make sure gauges work,etc. these gauge clusters can screw up causing an inaccurate mileage reading. if u have the ability jack the front tires off the ground and check the wheel bearings and side to side tightness if you push on one tire the other should move the same amount. if the current owner was hard on it youll notice some wear by doing this.

the oil residue on that boot is normal, it shouldnt be excessive but some buildup is on every one i have seen. check the 4x4 transfer case for leaks not a real common issue but have seen em leak. this is an easy fix but could help ya knock some $$ off the price. and definately check all fluids for any discoloration.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
All 06s are LBZs some are just detuned to the power level of the LLYs. The front end is probably needing some work. Check over the underside for oil residue. A hole can get worn in the tcase from a clip breaking that holds the pump inside in place. Not a problem if you take care of it before you get a hole n the case. Check U joints driving on a bad one can cause the trans tail housing to crack. Glow plugs and EGR are common issues on LBZs neither of which are a big deal really.

ChadS

Nov 27, 2012
west bend wisconsin
Wow thanks for the info guys....It is a lbz fully loaded...asking price is 23995. They just replaced all glow plugs also and a couple of sensors. Ive always had gas trucks and buying a truck with 132000 is kinda scary but as many told me thats nothing for a diesel.

Seeing as i live in the northern parts at what temp do you start to plug them in at night?

At what mile do you do a oil change? Im told 5000

Does fuel filter have to be changed as well with every oil change?

Doing some reading on the site is it me or are these trucks alot of maintanice??

Im sure i'll have plenty more questions...You guys been a great help...Thanks to all..

Last edited:

arneson

Aug 14, 2011
stoughton, wisconsin
Fuel filter 15k most the time. I did mine when i was stock still at 8-10k. U can go 5-7k on oil change, ive heard people goin more even, i go 3500-4k, new oil cant hurt. Alot has to do with how and where u drive and how hard.
On a side note, price seems ok maybe alittle high but not horrible. As for the truck itself, you cant go wrong with an lbz, or any dmax for that matter.

ChadS

Nov 27, 2012
west bend wisconsin
Thanks...I guess seeing as im the second owner i guess I'll never know how the original owner treated the truck...Thats always the scary part about buying used i guess...Im a little weary yet seeing as this is all new to me. You guys are a great help...I appreciate all your info to the fullest.

I guess another concern is the front end...I just replaced two front hubs and all new discs and pads on the trade-in. That was not cheap at all..Seeing as this truck has 132000 id really hate to have to do it again for a second time....I know eventually it will have to be done just dont want that bill again anytime soon...

Anymore info is much appreciated..

Fuel filter 15k most the time. I did mine when i was stock still at 8-10k. U can go 5-7k on oil change, ive heard people goin more even, i go 3500-4k, new oil cant hurt. Alot has to do with how and where u drive and how hard.
On a side note, price seems ok maybe alittle high but not horrible. As for the truck itself, you cant go wrong with an lbz, or any dmax for that matter.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
You can go 10K on the oil I've gone 16K and it was still in ok shape. Trans filters every12K-15K. At 140K my brake pads are a little more then 1/2 gone. I hubs lasted 120K most don't get that much out of them.

ChadS

Nov 27, 2012
west bend wisconsin
You can go 10K on the oil I've gone 16K and it was still in ok shape. Trans filters every12K-15K. At 140K my brake pads are a little more then 1/2 gone. I hubs lasted 120K most don't get that much out of them.

I got 150k on my last hubs on my gas truck...the hubs and new discs and pads all the way around gave me a 1800 bill. Kinda sucks when you dont have the knowledge or means to do it yourself..

Still up in the air on the truck. Theyll only drop a 1000 off the price. Which brings it down to blue book value.

Thanks

arneson

Aug 14, 2011
stoughton, wisconsin
How bad do u want it? Do u really like it? Are there others u are lookin at also? If u wanna gamble wait a day or so and then go.back in and offer 1500-2000 less amd tell them its all u can do. If they dont come down, walk.

btfarm

you know
Nov 25, 2010
Sandwich, Illinois
132000 is kinda scary but as many told me thats nothing for a diesel.
Agreed

Seeing as i live in the northern parts at what temp do you start to plug them in at night?
0 or below-get a winter grill cover

At what mile do you do a oil change? Im told 5000
I do 6-7.5 k

Does fuel filter have to be changed as well with every oil change?
10-15k

Doing some reading on the site is it me or are these trucks alot of maintanice??
More than a gasser yeah but look what you're getting.

Good luck. For me, near 210k I've done 1 hub, 3 glows, batteries and tires.
That's it. Everything else is OE. Brakes included.
90% highway driven and very well maintained.

ChadS

Nov 27, 2012
west bend wisconsin
How bad do u want it? Do u really like it? Are there others u are lookin at also? If u wanna gamble wait a day or so and then go.back in and offer 1500-2000 less amd tell them its all u can do. If they dont come down, walk.

Yeah there set on the price...Ive tried that...and i guess it comes down to how bad do i want it...Been wanting a diesel for some time now.

decisions, decisions...lol.

Thanks

rms2012

Dec 7, 2011
Phoenix
Im looking to buy a 2006 dramax with 132000 on it...any concerns i should have? Im new to diesel and transforming over from gas. They put all new glow plugs in it. With that many miles any thing i should look over or look for? When test drove it seem to be very solid and tranny shifted well.

Also how many more miles can i expect out of a it seeing it has 132000 miles.

Thanks and any info is well appreciated

LOL . . . that piping is silver? Mine's been black for a long, long time.

I'm at 155k and had a few maintainence items.
But, not yet been to the dealer for any parts & labor.

It's been an extremely reliable vehicle.

Yours will be, too. :thumb:

ChadS

Nov 27, 2012
west bend wisconsin
I wasnt sure about that piping when i saw the black on it. Just looks as if something leaking on to it...I believe its the down tube. I dont know much about turbos and diesels but sure am doing my research.

Just curious as to what weight oil i should run?

LOL . . . that piping is silver? Mine's been black for a long, long time.

I'm at 155k and had a few maintainence items.
But, not yet been to the dealer for any parts & labor.

It's been an extremely reliable vehicle.

Yours will be, too. :thumb: