In what applications is a custom ground Cam necessary?

SIKDMAX

Highway Burnouts!
Sep 14, 2007
Central Coast, Cali
www.sikdmax.com
Looking into Cam options for my truck. Whatever the case may be, all of my internals are going to be purcahsed from SoCal Diesel.

Im trying to figure out if/why I would need to go with a custom ground cam, or if the "off the shelf" Comp Cams Dmax cam, plus drive key option would be fine for me.

Anyone here running either? Your opinions?

MAXLLY

No Lemming Here
Aug 15, 2007
San Diego
Pat has had some of Guys cams, he may be the best source. Guy can grind it to fit your needs, twins, big single, big N2O, faster exhaust... whatever just tell him what you wanna do.

I have one of Guys Cams can't tell you how it works yet.:eek:

Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa
IIRC The Comp Cam doesn't come keyed, so you will have to pay to have this done. So now the price diff isn't that much so I would just go with a custom piece:)

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
Then again alot of guys have made big power on a stock cam... IIRC Pat made well over 700hp on a stocker..... and a keyed stocker for 150 bucks thats 750 bucks that can go elsewhere. Just my .02

Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa
Then again alot of guys have made big power on a stock cam... IIRC Pat made well over 700hp on a stocker..... and a keyed stocker for 150 bucks thats 750 bucks that can go elsewhere. Just my .02

If these motors are anything like a turbo gasser, a cam wont add much power.....but it can make a huge difference in spooling. Stock Buick cams have been run into the 9s, but I still picked up a few tenth going to a bigger one while running in the 11s

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
If these motors are anything like a turbo gasser, a cam wont add much power.....but it can make a huge difference in spooling. Stock Buick cams have been run into the 9s, but I still picked up a few tenth going to a bigger one while running in the 11s

This is very true but exactly how far do you wanna go is the question.... for most people 700hp on the road everyday is enough, I know mine at 600 is a handfull:rofl:

I just dont see Matt taking it to the extreme enough to need a cam unless he decides to run a larger single turbo which I dont... but who knows

MAXLLY

No Lemming Here
Aug 15, 2007
San Diego
Fact, big power to be had with a stocker.

It was explained to me that the new grind can/will alter when and how hard the charger hits, as well it can enhance a shot.

Call Guy and ask him if its worth it or not. It's only 7:20 he's prolly still at the shop.:)

Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa
This is very true but exactly how far do you wanna go is the question.... for most people 700hp on the road everyday is enough, I know mine at 600 is a handfull:rofl:

I just dont see Matt taking it to the extreme enough to need a cam unless he decides to run a larger single turbo which I dont... but who knows

I understand what you are saying, and agree to a point. I am doing a super budget build on my truck. Rods, cheap pistons cut myself, and head studs. I will be under 4G and even trying to pinch pennys I'm still temped by a cam. Guess I just think they are neat since not to many people run them:D

slowlmm

Mar 2, 2008
so cal
imo I would go with a cam the way my stock charger comes one and they way the truck drives is night an day. plusts its one of those things tht is really hard to change in the truck so if you even think you would like one in the future do it now. with my built motor i am avg over 150 miles more on a tank of fuel over stock as well. air air air. the more you can get in there the better. my list for u would be cam studs both top and bottom pistons 40 0ver behive springs rods and valve job

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
imo I would go with a cam the way my stock charger comes one and they way the truck drives is night an day. plusts its one of those things tht is really hard to change in the truck so if you even think you would like one in the future do it now. with my built motor i am avg over 150 miles more on a tank of fuel over stock as well. air air air. the more you can get in there the better. my list for u would be cam studs both top and bottom pistons 40 0ver behive springs rods and valve job

If it can stay std bore I would not waste boring it might need it for a later date if something breaks again.

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
off the top of my head i'm at 25,300 area with rods pistons, tq plate hone if block can stay std bore,line hone, head studs main studs,gaskets,injectors, dual cp3 kit, stage2 heads, cam, push rods, rocker bridges,balancing,mpi twin kit just to work with a stock VVT add the cost of the cheetah thats not in the amount above.

MAXLLY

No Lemming Here
Aug 15, 2007
San Diego
off the top of my head i'm at 25,300 area with rods pistons, tq plate hone if block can stay std bore,line hone, head studs main studs,gaskets,injectors, dual cp3 kit, stage2 heads, cam, push rods, rocker bridges,balancing,mpi twin kit just to work with a stock VVT add the cost of the cheetah thats not in the amount above.

Somebody else feeling the pain... IIRC just at Guys shop i spent about 14K.

If i had to do this again I would buy from the same guy, he is a talent and a nationwide source of information. He sells builds stuff for diesel racers all over the USA, he has up to date pertinent info on what to avoid.

Where is Guy sent him email about a week ago? Anybody knkow if he closed up shop for the holidays?

Trippin

SoCal Diesel
Aug 10, 2006
Hey guy's, Happy New Year to everybody.

I gave my staff the time off for the Holidays and figured I would cover the phones and Emails myself. For Christmas someone gave me a really bad cold and I have been dragging ever since. Starting to feel almost human today. :cruch:

As far as camshafts go, there certainly has been good power made with a stock cam. What we do with our designs is broaden the power curve.

For example, I can make a big charger hit much sooner in the rpm range, by doing so I can bring the entire power curve into play much earlier in a run and let the heads and the turbo carry it from there.

The opposite is also true, a limited charger application may spool fine but need some help in the mid-range and/or top end.

Hope this helps a little...................;)