IHI Showdown!!!

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
I can't believe how much time you've invested in this project. Nice Work :thumb:

Question is, after all this data collection and your findings...which version will you be keeping in the truck?

Thanks Jacob:thumb:
Come on, you know the diesel messes with your brain and you just move on to the next fix!!!:roflmao:
For now the 63.5 wetzel wheel is in there but I'm moving onto something else if I can sell some turbos & get some funds together!!:woott:

Yellowchevy

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
With all of the things Russell tested and everything I've seen I see no need for an s300 on an lb7 anymore these days.
Russell you did an amazing job on all of this I'm glad I can say I have some of you work under my hood.

MaxSmoke

FNG for life
Jan 25, 2012
Brighton Co
Killer job Russ!!! Thanks for your all you time and money invested and for you to lay it all out for us to see says something about the kind of guy you are!!!! :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
Wow thanks for all the hard work Russ. Just skimmed through it so for but see some pretty surprising results for sure.

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
Russ great results and info.Thats alot of hard work and money spent to get those results.It also shows greater gains with the porting and polishing,glad I got mine done:thumb:

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
What is going to happen to these modded IHI's when you thrown some fuel to them? I thought everybody quit messing with them because the shafts break too easy.

JDub

Aug 9, 2009
Hooper, Utah
The Stealth 64 Duramaxtuner offers has been doing quite well with 30% injectors, 600-615hp. But that's definitely the upper limits...

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
SOOOOO much info, Do you ever sleep?

I have a one year old thats not a good sleeper so no!!:D

OregonDMax - With all of the things Russell tested and everything I've seen I see no need for an s300 on an lb7 anymore these days.
Russell you did an amazing job on all of this I'm glad I can say I have some of you work under my hood.
Thanks Sean!!:thumb: Glad you're happy with everything and its performing to your expectations. Once you get that tranny done you'll like it even more!!!:woott:

MaxSmoke - Killer job Russ!!! Thanks for your all you time and money invested and for you to lay it all out for us to see says something about the kind of guy you are!!!!
Thanks!!:thumb: Its useful info that I know others would like. Hopefully it will help people make decision based off what they use their pickup for.

56taskforce - Wow thanks for all the hard work Russ. Just skimmed through it so for but see some pretty surprising results for sure.
Thanks :thumb: I was very surprised as well when I first start years ago.

PHP:
blk smoke lb7 - Russ great results and info.Thats alot of hard work and money spent to get those results.It also shows greater gains with the porting and polishing,glad I got mine done
Thanks Scott:thumb: Glad to see you on the forum again and good talk the other night as always!!:D

Harbin_22 - What is going to happen to these modded IHI's when you thrown some fuel to them? I thought everybody quit messing with them because the shafts break too easy.
Shaft diameter where the compressor wheel rides for an IHI - 0.302"
Shaft diameter where the compressor wheel rides for an LLY-4094 - 0.294"
Shaft diameter where the bearings ride on for an IHI - 0.448"
Shaft diameter where the bearings ride on an LLY-4094 - 0.452"
Smallest diameter on the turbine shaft where the compressor threads start on an IHI - 0.241"
Smallest diameter on the turbine shaft where the compressor threads start on an LLY-LMM - 0.230"
Smallest diameter on the turbine shaft where the compressor threads start on an 3794 & 4094 - 0.215"

With all the diameters being so close and with LLY-4094 having places with the smallest diameter I would think they would fail more than an IHI. My guess(again guess, I have no proof) is that people are breaking IHI turbine shafts being they're putting a lot of fuel to them and the turbine wheel size(inducer & exducer) is smaller than an LLY-4094 so the back/drive pressure gets so high that the shafts fail. Again I have no proof but just my thoughts.

With my stock motor/injectors/fuel I've not been able to test the IHI till it breaks. My boost has been at 35psi with back/drive pressure at 58psi. So far this turbo thats had all the different wheels in it, 100+ dyno runs, hours of hard acceleration & lag testing, its held up great. I predicted/planned on having a turbo failure but so far so good.

I'm also not looking for peak power till the turbo fails, I was looking at how each wheel increase hp/torque as well as drivablitlity/spool up. That is a good question though, sorry I don't have an answer.

JDub - The Stealth 64 Duramaxtuner offers has been doing quite well with 30% injectors, 600-615hp. But that's definitely the upper limits...
Thats pretty good for that turbo and I wouldn't want to push it anymore. Longevity wise I don't see it putting up with the abuse, haha. If someone is after 600+hp I wouldn't suggest an IHI, S300 or twins would be my recommendation.

Yellowchevy

crazycrew

Let's Start A Riot
Oct 3, 2009
S. Louisiana
WOW! Awesome info and results Russ!. Definitely has me thinking of a modded IHI, especially for the price. Hmmm, decisions, decisions. Can you send me pricing info Russ.

Oh, and did I miss the videos? Are they in here?

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
WOW! Awesome info and results Russ!. Definitely has me thinking of a modded IHI, especially for the price. Hmmm, decisions, decisions. Can you send me pricing info Russ.

Oh, and did I miss the videos? Are they in here?

Thanks Brooks:thumb:
PM sent:thumb:
I've not posted them yet. I've got the one edited but new to figure out how to combine them all; I'm not the best with the Mac!!

That is some great info! My hat is off to you sir! I may not get shed of the ol' LB7 afterall

Yellowchevy

fastpunker

adrenaline junkie
Feb 7, 2012
Lake Havasu City, AZ
From what I could see from the original post, I didn't see any mention about mods if any to the waste-gate or the addition of a boost valve (PPE or other)... what was done in those regards?

And also with that question it brings me to the next question about what peak boost was? ....while holding 5th? from what I see in stock form is about 28psi (tapped into the waste-gate line before the boost valve. others on here have reported 34ish after the batmowheel?
After talking with the dingbat I call a good friend James :hug: (chevy1925), I am heavily thinking about sticking a batmowheel in my stock IHI... from reading your thread it sounds like we are running very similar set-ups... built trans, lift pump, 4" exhaust, my own custom turbo horn, and a max effort tune 31/31ish.

Thanks in advanced and absolutely awesome write up BTW:woott:

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
From what I could see from the original post, I didn't see any mention about mods if any to the waste-gate or the addition of a boost valve (PPE or other)... what was done in those regards?

And also with that question it brings me to the next question about what peak boost was? ....while holding 5th? from what I see in stock form is about 28psi (tapped into the waste-gate line before the boost valve. others on here have reported 34ish after the batmowheel?
After talking with the dingbat I call a good friend James :hug: (chevy1925), I am heavily thinking about sticking a batmowheel in my stock IHI... from reading your thread it sounds like we are running very similar set-ups... built trans, lift pump, 4" exhaust, my own custom turbo horn, and a max effort tune 31/31ish.

Thanks in advanced and absolutely awesome write up BTW:woott:

Thought I did but could have missed it. I have an air regulator that I adjusted to give me 30psi of boost on the bone stock turbo. The regulator is between the cover and wastegate itself.

On my baseline run using the bone stock turbo, my boost was an average of 29psi. Average boost for the different wheels using the stock turbo is as follows,
batmowheel - 32.2psi
Wetzel wheel - 32.5psi
TS/Wicked Wheel - 32.4psi
63.5 Wheel - 33psi.

Average boost with the ported/polished turbo,
Stock wheel - 31.8psi
batmowheel - 33psi
Wetzel Wheel - 32.6psi
TS/Wicked Wheel - 33.2psi
63.5 wheel - 34

I set my air regulator at the beginning and I didn't touch it after that. When on the dyno I would see my boost hit 35-37psi for a split second then then hold steady at the numbers listed above.

My boost gauge is tapped into my stock y-bridge so thats where all my numbers are coming from.

If you're not wanting to modify the turbo then just throwing a batmowheel in is a good upgrade to get a little more power and a little better throttle response/drive ability. Obviously a modified housing gives you better performance but If you're not wanting to spend the money and like a challenge you can swap the wheels.

No problem, hope I clarified everything for you.

Yellowchevy

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Thought I did but could have missed it. I have an air regulator that I adjusted to give me 30psi of boost on the bone stock turbo. The regulator is between the cover and wastegate itself.

On my baseline run using the bone stock turbo, my boost was an average of 29psi. Average boost for the different wheels using the stock turbo is as follows,
batmowheel - 32.2psi
Wetzel wheel - 32.5psi
TS/Wicked Wheel - 32.4psi
63.5 Wheel - 33psi.

Average boost with the ported/polished turbo,
Stock wheel - 31.8psi
batmowheel - 33psi
Wetzel Wheel - 32.6psi
TS/Wicked Wheel - 33.2psi
63.5 wheel - 34

I set my air regulator at the beginning and I didn't touch it after that. When on the dyno I would see my boost hit 35-37psi for a split second then then hold steady at the numbers listed above.

My boost gauge is tapped into my stock y-bridge so thats where all my numbers are coming from.

If you're not wanting to modify the turbo then just throwing a batmowheel in is a good upgrade to get a little more power and a little better throttle response/drive ability. Obviously a modified housing gives you better performance but If you're not wanting to spend the money and like a challenge you can swap the wheels.

No problem, hope I clarified everything for you.

Yellowchevy

Jon (fastpunker) is a good buddy of mine, Russ. we were talking about his stock turbo and upgrades last weekend when he was in town. He generally over thinks things being an injumaneer :D.

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
Jon (fastpunker) is a good buddy of mine, Russ. we were talking about his stock turbo and upgrades last weekend when he was in town. He generally over thinks things being an injumaneer :D.

His biggest down fall is knowing you!!! :thumb::woott::hug:
If you can put up with him he must be a good guy:thumb:.
I've got a few used IHI batmowheels if he's needing one.

Yellowchevy