I know I know, lbz rods

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
I understand if you open up a duamrax engine Nd go for a rebuild you should really invest a quality aftermarket rod.

But I see a guy post on this form, States you can take a lbz rod and just shave some material off the cap to try and match the weight of a stock lly/lb7 rod.

Is this true that it can be done? Do you think it will effect the strength of the rod.

Bustedknuckles

Honey Badger
Sep 25, 2010
Hagerstown MD
When mine goes its getting lml rods. I wasnt sure about it at first but a truck confederate diesel built dynoed 940 hp on them at keystone nationals a few weeks ago and has been making good power for quite awhile on them.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
When mine goes its getting lml rods. I wasnt sure about it at first but a truck confederate diesel built dynoed 940 hp on them at keystone nationals a few weeks ago and has been making good power for quite awhile on them.

But I don't have lml Rods sitting in a box waiting on a home :rofl:

CarolinaHD

Feb 8, 2011
NC
I've posted this picture in just about every "lml bottom end" thread. Mid 700 horse lml...bent all 8 rods..most pistons hit the crank and broke too.

Build it right the first time. For average Joe there is to much time and money tied up in an engine to "test" something or use a product that has not been proven yet. For example there has been quite a few threads pop up with new rod manufacturers hitting the market, offering an "affordable" rod...only to initially save you maybe $300...

Can't find the other post where a guy was pushing low to mid 600hp and bent all his LBZ rods. I'll keep digging

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I understand if you open up a duamrax engine Nd go for a rebuild you should really invest a quality aftermarket rod.

But I see a guy post on this form, States you can take a lbz rod and just shave some material off the cap to try and match the weight of a stock lly/lb7 rod.

Is this true that it can be done? Do you think it will effect the strength of the rod.

it depends on where the machine shop pulls weight from but the main place weight was pulled from in an LBZ/LMM was the pistons. i believe the rods are very close to lb7 rods in weight. if you balance the rotating assembly to the new rods, there shouldnt be any grinding other than to get all 8 rods to be within a few grams of each other.

also, they weigh the whole thing, wrist pin side and rod bearing side. then balance accordingly.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Why is no one mentioning tuning:confused: .and sheer Kahn luck:rofl:

There's an idiot shop up here that built and tuned an LBZ with race cast Mahle pistons that crakced all 8 on FIRE UP

LML rods may be cheap, but isn't there some labor cost in making them work, as well? I know it's not the equivalent to a legitimate set of performance rods, but...just sayin

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I wonder if those guys were running a big single or twins? I still aint scared and unless something happens to change my mind I'm putting lml rods in mine.

not gunna lie, ive always wanted to do a straight up bare bones build just to see what it would hold up to. just dont have the money to throw away in one if it lets go. too many other hobbies :D

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
I like all these guys making BIG power on stock rods. Yes the hp is high but torque is way low. I personally think torque is just as important as hp in these heavy trucks. Thats why most trucks track times dont match hp calculator. Just my 2 cents

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Can't find the other post where a guy was pushing low to mid 600hp and bent all his LBZ rods. I'll keep digging

RE: the picture you used. Mike used to brag about how much power his stock motor used to hold......until it didnt. ;) He realized how lucky he was and how rare it is that a stocker can hold >600 for any length of time. Have to admit I have a lot more respect for him now than I did at the beginning b/c of that.

it depends on where the machine shop pulls weight from but the main place weight was pulled from in an LBZ/LMM was the pistons. i believe the rods are very close to lb7 rods in weight. if you balance the rotating assembly to the new rods, there shouldnt be any grinding other than to get all 8 rods to be within a few grams of each other.

also, they weigh the whole thing, wrist pin side and rod bearing side. then balance accordingly.

Leave it to James to have the sane post again. Whoever said to "just shave the LBZ rods" is NUKKING FUTS! Since when do we encourage idiocy like that on this forum?????
Proper way to do it is to balance the rods, pistons and crank as a set. Don't half-ass it for chrissakes.

I like all these guys making BIG power on stock rods. Yes the hp is high but torque is way low. I personally think torque is just as important as hp in these heavy trucks. Thats why most trucks track times dont match hp calculator. Just my 2 cents

Trucks making big hp on stock bottom, no matter the generation, are few and far between. I have gotten to the point where I just dont pay any mind to them b/c its so damn risky.
Problem is, those owners think they're bulletproof so when they talk to others they convince them its "normal", when its the farthest thing from it.
Whenever I used to post about my truck, there was ALWAYS a disclaimer associated with it saying, "This isnt normal."

Most of the people who ask about max power on stock engine either a) don't have the money to rebuild or b) are on a very tight budget which doesnt allow for a proper build. That has to be considered when replying to any of their questions, yet nowadays some people here just ignore all that and get the newbie's hopes up....then later we hear about the boom. It's Idiocy.

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Most of the people who ask about max power on stock engine either a) don't have the money to rebuild or b) are on a very tight budget which doesnt allow for a proper build. That has to be considered when replying to any of their questions, yet nowadays some people here just ignore all that and get the newbie's hopes up....then later we hear about the boom. It's Idiocy.

Exactly right most times when I see the questions I just want to reply with "don't do it...don't try it"
Imo if you can't go all out on a proper build don't even think about it.

I know my motor is on borrowed time, I would rather not do a full build because I have other stuff I want to throw my money at so when it blows I'll throw another one in and let er eat since its not my DD. But to attempt a halfway budget build is no better than just throwing another stocker in because it's a ticking bomb either way...(in my opinion)

Low366Dmax

Pin it to win it
Aug 23, 2013
NH
I made 750+ on my stock motor with nitrous. For about 100 1/4 passes. I knew she was ready to blow at any time but that was the fun of it. Ended up snapping motor mounts and breaking valve guides. If you wanna go fast on a stock motor I suggest you have a large about of money to rebuild or you will be bumming... My truck was one pass away from complete disaster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk