I have some questions

blaster668

Mar 11, 2008
Guys, I have been reading through this forum for quite some time now but this is my first post. You guys really seem to have the trucks down to an art.

I'm wanting to upgrade my tranny but not sure how much I need. I have an '07 Classic GMC 4x4. Currently I am running an Edge Evolution programmer and have an MP8 that I've been considering stacking with it just for the adjust on the fly capability. I would like to switch to EFILive at some point but honestly I want to get the tranny done first because I don't trust myself to hold back. I also have intake and exhaust and a airdog liftpump to go on it. I'm considering a lift with about 35" tires.

The truck is mostly street driven, but will see the strip and maybe a sled occasionally. I do tow a little but not too much. I doubt that I'll ever be making huge power out of this thing, maybe a little bigger turbo in the future though.

What do you guys think I should do to the tranny? Is a torque convertor and ally jr enough? Stage III or IV installed by me? Or should I just ship it out to MikeL? I'm in PA so I couldn't just take it to him. I have no experience with automatic tranny internals so I'm kinda concerned about doing it myself.

LBZrcks

Jun 2, 2007
SoCal
SC III or IV, but I would have it done professionaly if you don't have experience with any automatic internals. I'm sure Mike may be able to recommend a place closer to you. If not you can do a SC V which is a drop in pretty much

blaster668

Mar 11, 2008
Where is this Big Dipper located in MD? I live about an hr North of Pittsburgh. The company I work for is located near BWI so I'm down that way occasionally. About what would a tranny build cost including TC? I'd R&R the tranny myself most likely.

tinman22

Feb 17, 2007
Stillwater NJ
besides. california is nice this time of year... as a matter of fact. I think tomorrow will be exactly one year since mike hooked up my trans

blaster668

Mar 11, 2008
Yeah, I know it's nice this time of year. I'm actually in the LA area right now. I travel for work, but unfortunately I have a rental car and not my truck here.

tinman22

Feb 17, 2007
Stillwater NJ
that could be an inconvenience. another thought is up in north jersey is a place called level 10. they did team hertz's truck hes a DP member maybe he can give some info on their work. I only met him once at the track last year his truck ran good. just another avenue to look at depending on where in Pa you are at. although. if I had an issue i'd try to get big dipper since mike L reccomends him. just my feelings from personal experience

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
Just Pm me if you want Georges AKA Big Dipper and I can send you his # we work togther very fast and good at what he does.

Last edited:

MaxFarmer

<--Heavy Smoker
Jan 22, 2007
Albion, Nebraska
Honestly, if you're mechanically inclined enough to get the tranny out, you can do the SCIV yourself! Get an ATSG manual and have MikeL or Dipper's number handy as well as some internet access for other questions you may have and you should be good to go. Take your time, its not that bad. There are tons of people who have done their own--with Mike's guidance of course! :D