I have seen the impossible!

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
I wanted to stop by with my new findings with the 02 hybrid conversion. This winter I did the original lly conversion, with a lot of help from this thread. The truck ran "ok" had lots of rattle and was a bear to drive, but made 511hp on dyno and ran out ok... Well after my wife wrecked her 2.5 truck. I decided I'd start playing with this 02 dually. So Monday I got a wild hair and pulled cab and swapped in a set of lbz heads I had on shelf, Tuesday put in some 60% over LMM 6 holes, and a dual fueler kit. Initial start up I noticed an immediate difference in engine noise and how it ran. It sounded and idled like stock lb7!.... Took it to dan clarkes place and we dyno tuned it. He was able to actually able to trash my tune that I worked on for a solid week to make the old setup to work. Copied over stock lly tables and started dyno tuning. Each tune would gain us 30 more hp it seemed. Ended up with 630/1100 the stock ihi was out of breath. Sorry for the rambling. Got an 8hr drive ahead of me. But my point is. Lb7 ficm/ECM will drive LMM injectors like there's nothing funky going on! I officially have parts from 01-15 engine models all stuffed into one engine. Lol

I have been collecting parts to go a different route with mine too...except I'll be using full LBZ electronics this time. Tuning the lly stuff has wasted so much of our time that I just said enough is enough...time to be able to focus on the other details of making it fun and reliable to race.

nmband13

Jan 17, 2011
Sioux Falls SD
arent glow plugs different from lb7 to lly, one threads in deeper and lb7 takes 15seconds on a cold day while lly take like 3 seconds to light...correct? Don't the lly's take much less voltage at the same time? if you ran on a lb7 glow plug system you would melt them off...or am I missing something?

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
arent glow plugs different from lb7 to lly, one threads in deeper and lb7 takes 15seconds on a cold day while lly take like 3 seconds to light...correct? Don't the lly's take much less voltage at the same time? if you ran on a lb7 glow plug system you would melt them off...or am I missing something?
The glow plugs won't melt, I'll promise you that. Yes they are different, but the worst that has happened with my truck was I shorted out a couple relays because I had it located right on the firewall and it got wet.

nmband13

Jan 17, 2011
Sioux Falls SD
Good to hear. Looking at a lly swap as i had a inj go bad and wreck some stuff on my motor...done with lb7 inj's

might delete glow plugs but then its a "race truck" lol

Boots2500

Dec 5, 2015
Buffalo, ny
Just signed up as a member of this forum. My buddy recently informed me of the hybrid conversion so I decided on doing my own research and I have always found these threads to be extremely useful. I have an 01 cclb and injectors are on their way out. Literally read this entire thread and I'm pissed I didn't look into this sooner. Ill be looking into starting the conversion on mine in the spring with the help from everyone's advice I read on here. Thanks

turbovan

Too many toys!!!
Mar 4, 2018
Abbotsford, BC, Canada.
Bit the bullet, local diesel shop friend sold me a LMM top end off a Kodiak, with a CP3, 125,000 km's, for $1500.

I flushed my injectors and the balance rates came down, it runs good now, no miss, so I am going to try and limp this thru the summer and after camping is over, swap the whole shebang over, along with a DP and BD drivers manifold. Going to run the LB7 computer and ficm.

turbovan

Too many toys!!!
Mar 4, 2018
Abbotsford, BC, Canada.
Does anyone know if duratothemax is still harness's? Sent him emails and called, nothing, and his PM box is full.

Also, if i went 2003 wiring in my 02, do I need to change every harness or just the dash wiring and dash?

TIA.

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
Does anyone know if duratothemax is still harness's? Sent him emails and called, nothing, and his PM box is full.

Also, if i went 2003 wiring in my 02, do I need to change every harness or just the dash wiring and dash?

TIA.

Just swap everything to LLY if you're set on that route. You'll be much happier.

turbovan

Too many toys!!!
Mar 4, 2018
Abbotsford, BC, Canada.
Just swap everything to LLY if you're set on that route. You'll be much happier.

I'm still going LLY, but I'd much rather do the conversion harness if Ben is still doing them. Another fellow is but by the time the smoke clears, I'll be $1800 canadian for the program and harness. I'd rather rewire my cab for that kind of money.