LB7: Hydrolock and pressurized coolant

Sparkyman1

May 13, 2017
The issue started with coolant system pushing all of the coolant into the resivor and then temp gauge moving randomly, heater only worked sometimes. It's defiantly pushing compression gasses into the coolant. Sometimes it would warm up and stop doing it. When I went to work on it (after sittting for 2 weeks) I pulled the radiator cap off and the entire coolant system sprayed into my face, that felt nice.

Then I brought it out to the farm waiting for parts to start the repair, only ordering what I needed to seal the injector cups. After sitting for a week it cranks over half ways and dead stops. I knew it was hydrolocked so I pulled glowugs and confirmed it was coolant in one cylinder on the passengers side. The injector cup from that cylinder has a pretty deep scratch in it but I don't know if that's from me twisting it in the hole during the removal.

Here's the thing though, the stealership replaced the injectors and head gasket 3 years ago, 30,000 miles ago. What are the chances that the head gasket is out again?

Should I continue with just replacing/sealing the injector cups? What do you guys think?

KyleC4

Tech
Dec 30, 2016
Bay Area
i guess if they didn't use loctite to seal the injector cup to the head could be an issue. But also if they did not check the heads and block surface for warpage that could be another reason for repeat head gasket issues. Hell, maybe they didn't torque down head bolts properly. I'd be taking my vehicle back to any dealership that performed that kind of extensive work and make them repair it. I know my dealership, sorry, stealership, would stand behind our work and make it right. Good luck

Sparkyman1

May 13, 2017
i guess if they didn't use loctite to seal the injector cup to the head could be an issue. But also if they did not check the heads and block surface for warpage that could be another reason for repeat head gasket issues. Hell, maybe they didn't torque down head bolts properly. I'd be taking my vehicle back to any dealership that performed that kind of extensive work and make them repair it. I know my dealership, sorry, stealership, would stand behind our work and make it right. Good luck

Should I be able to see the loctite on the injector cups? because I don't, they just look a little rusty and the one from the hydro locked cylinder has a gouge on the outside of it

Sparkyman1

May 13, 2017

It's a possibility that the work was rushed, I had purchased the truck from that dealership and the head gasket went out 3 months later, they replaced it and then an injector cracked, so then they tore it all down again and replaced the injectors. I was pissed because I had just bought it so they didn't charge me much of any labor. I paid 5500 to get all that done and now 3 years later its the same shit.

KyleC4

Tech
Dec 30, 2016
Bay Area
Yes the area around the tip of the injector cup that seals to the head in the combustion chamber should have red loctite around it. Believe me I understand your pain. It's work like this from places that give all dealers a bad name and it frustrates me cause no matter what it seems like all techs just get categorized with the bad ones if they are under the same roof.

Too they may not have fully seated the cup to the head as well. There are so many little details that need to be paid close attention too. I hope they help you out. If not, a call to BAR might be needed.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
Sounds a lot like my issue. I had a coolant leak I never could find. My radiator hose wasn't ever hard tho. Mine I believe was a injector cup. I went ahead and did headgaskets while I was there but I never did see any signs of a leak in it. But when I pulled my cups out with hardly any effort, I knew that was the issue. Honestly I'm more of the fox it even if that may not be the problem so I don't have to tear it down again in 6 months. You're already almost there. Just a matter of a few more bolts to get the heads off. Get some good grade c gaskets. Studs. And have the heads checked and trued. Seal your cups with the red loctite. And don't worry about it again