Huge Fuel Leak

jdlover1

437 Cubic Inches
Oct 4, 2006
chapanoke,nc
I'm not aware of a something that causes them to blow out plugs. Where was the replacement pump from? Maybe it was second rate...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I have actually had one that blow a freeze plug completely out before. Dirt/foreign material is what I have been told can cause it

Attachments

• cp3%202.jpg
    cp3%202.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 49

elliss12

Mar 14, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
Okay, I haven't looked at it too much but I'll take a look at it to know what you mean when I get home. Thanks for the info.

Any preferred reman lb7 pumps or ones to shy away from? Industrial injection sells one for $525 + $300 for core. Seems to be a decent deal but I don't want junk

elliss12

Mar 14, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
It kind of sucks too given the cost of just even a stock flow pump. Would you guys recommend an Industrial Injection stock flow cp3 or a reman genuine bosch pump? Bosch is $175 more but I'm okay with that if it won't commit suicide prematurely like whatever is in my truck currently.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
With the labor involved and the risk to the injectors, I would personally pony up the extra $175 for the Bosch pump. It is extremely rare for a new pump to grenade from what I have seen.

jdlover1

437 Cubic Inches
Oct 4, 2006
chapanoke,nc
I have Dtech remanufactured pumps on both of my trucks. No problem what so ever knock on wood. 2 on the pulling truck and 1 on the dd.

elliss12

Mar 14, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
Thanks for the advice guys, I ended up just going with the Bosch to be safe. My wallet hurts but I'll be happy getting this back on the road with peace of mind.

elliss12

Mar 14, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
Got it out, hardest put was moving fuel lines and harness out of the way to make room for removal.

Old pump blew every freeze plug. Should I be scared for my injectors?

New pump looked good, it didn't have a Bosch fprv so I swapped my like new one over

I've got the pump in, coolant tube and intake y-bridge in. I dropped a y-bridge nut and can't find it... Anyone know the size off hand? It will save me a trip home after work. Thanks guys!

Last edited:

elliss12

Mar 14, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
I have a half inch diameter magnet, I picked up about 5 magnets full of what was left and even found a broken drill bit :eek:. Im sure a lot more got washed away previously. I will definitely be blowing out the lines, I'm a little nervous about whats already went through them though... I'll cross my fingers, it did run okay even as is.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
If it did send stuff down to the injectors, it's to late now... Brake clean & blow all the lines and the rails out, cross your fingers.

elliss12

Mar 14, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
Got it running, it runs fine but cranks a little more than normal. I assume I'm losing prime. The driver side most line running to the fuel block. I see a small trail underneath it but I can't see it dripping when running. I'll have to do more digging. Yeah the injectors I'm hoping for the best, I did find metal in the lines...

Fastorange

Jan 31, 2009
ohio
I just replaced one on an lbz, there are some people out there that have a few tricks however it will be faster if you remove the brackets off the front of the motor and slide them forward.. Unbolt the cp3 and take of the coolant cross over.. Then you can pull it right out..

elliss12

Mar 14, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
For me the y-bridge was easier, but I already had my intake horn removed because a fuel line was underneath it and I couldn't access it (it has a big profab horn). Intake nut is a M6 for anyone that loses one. I tightened up the banjo on the one dripping fuel line. Truck seems to hold prime and run good so it should be fixed. Somehow throughout this, now my fuel gauge is inaccurate. May need a cluster rebuild. Anyways, thanks everyone for the help and input. It helped a lot having people that have already been through this.