HSP Twin Kit From ATP Reveiw.

jacobdewey

This won't last long...
Jan 14, 2011
I picked up a HSP Compound Kit from ATP Trucks recently, and wanted to do a quick reveiw.

First off, Dustin (sickdiesel), Rob (IdahoRob) and all the guys at ATP Trucks are very helpful and always treat you fair. I'm almost impossible to please and I have done business with them on my LB7 and my LLY and have always been 100% satisfied.

Now, the kit and the install:

Opening the HSP kit, you can obviously see that everything is amazing when it comes to quality and craftsmanship. Joe does a great job in making these kits. Mine was a earlier generation than what is offered now, that required the passenger side battery removal and no coolant tank low level sensor.

I was worried about installing the Y-bridge (which was beautiful btw). I had heard the horror stories of not being able to reach the front lower nuts, but I was able to set the bridge on with the front lower passenger nut just barely threaded on. For the front drivers side lower nut, I used my small telescoping magnet and a screwdriver to get it started. From there, with a swivel head 10mm gear wrench and some patience, I was able to tighten them down. All the others were easy to get to with 1/4 extensions.

The Next hurdle was the oil pan tapping. I f**ked it up. lol. I tapped to close to the starter and wasn't able to get the lower starter bolt in because it was so close. With some help from Dutton at Custom Auto, we got a hex head bolt to fit, and with a little persuasion on the starter (a grinder) we were able to get everything to fit. I would love to see the makers of twin kits add a nice metal template that would butt up against the outer edge of the oil pan and bolt down on the lower starter bolt so you could tap in the right spot with no worries about being too close to the edge or the starter. Just saying...it might be nice for idiots like me. ha ha ha.

I'm not a huge fan of the charge pipe boot that was in the kit. I would like a little bit longer boot so the clamps aren't so easy to slide off. I worry about blowing the boot off because of this. 1/2" more would make all the difference.

With my truck being a 235,000 mile, original head gasket LLY, I really didn't like the idea of getting rid of my factory coolant reservoir and losing the ability to see the level and color of my coolant and also losing my low level sensor. A sight tube will be added to my tank because of this reason. I would like all the twin kits that replace the stock coolant overflow to have this. Just my $.02. LIKE SO:

385917d1252993600-new-product-all-alluminum-replacement-coolant-reservoir-coolant-tank-sight.jpg

All in all, if you are thinking of getting a compound kit for your truck, HSP is what you want. The fit and finish of HSP products are second to none. ATP Trucks can hook you up with one, so quit reading this and PM Sickdiesel already!!!

03spoolindmax

Nov 9, 2011
Mi
It's funny you say that about the oil drain. Joe and I were talking a few weeks ago about it. He was talking about making a diagram to go with the kits to show were to drill it. Mine came very close to the block but had just enough room to tighten it down.

I love my kit and it fit very will. I installed mine while doing head studs. It was a long 5 days but it was worth it.

jacobdewey

This won't last long...
Jan 14, 2011
It's funny you say that about the oil drain. Joe and I were talking a few weeks ago about it. He was talking about making a diagram to go with the kits to show were to drill it. Mine came very close to the block but had just enough room to tighten it down.

I love my kit and it fit very will. I installed mine while doing head studs. It was a long 5 days but it was worth it.

When I told a few people about a template like that, they were all like..."why didn't I think of that". lol

I had my kit thrown on, minus the oil drain debacle, in two half days of working on it, then another half day worth of small tweaks and buttoning things up.

Your kit is beautiful btw.

joe@HSPDIESEL

Jun 25, 2013
Thank you for the review Jacob! We have been discussing sending a template for the oil drain location. That and better instructions are in the works.

How long is your cold side boot?

The low coolant sensor is going to become standard on all the coolant tanks in the future. We can add the sight glass, but at this point we'll leave that as an option.

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
Joe and his guys make by far the nicest stuff you can get for our trucks. He listens to feedback both positive and negative and is always making his stuff better. Thank god he's good a taking constructive criticism otherwise we wouldn't get along :D

jacobdewey

This won't last long...
Jan 14, 2011
Thank you for the review Jacob! We have been discussing sending a template for the oil drain location. That and better instructions are in the works.

That would be great!

How long is your cold side boot?

3" is all. 3 1/2" Would be perfect imo.

The low coolant sensor is going to become standard on all the coolant tanks in the future. We can add the sight glass, but at this point we'll leave that as an option.

Thanks for a great kit Joe!

plowboy_lbz

Farmer
Aug 6, 2013
The worst part is the oil drain. Had a buddy who had done it before do mine. Man oh man both of us were sweating bullets. But it turned out good after dropping the pan to do it. I hated the one piece cross over pipe on the exhaust, I think a two piece would be a slice of heaven.

sickdiesel

Apr 22, 2010
Awesome review Jacob! Thank you for the kind words, glad I can help. Anything you need, you know the number :thumb:

jacobdewey

This won't last long...
Jan 14, 2011
Just a quick Update. The drive-ability of this kit is awesome. My wife DD's it and it's manners are similar to a stock truck (also a thanks to Rob's Tunes.) I made it to a dyno the other day and made 554/925 uncorrected on 35lbs of boost. I usually see 45-46psi wot on the street, so I would guess this to be a 570hp daily driver. Another thanks to HSP and ATP!!! Thanks guys!

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
shop.dieselmafiaperformance.com
Just a quick Update. The drive-ability of this kit is awesome. My wife DD's it and it's manners are similar to a stock truck (also a thanks to Rob's Tunes.) I made it to a dyno the other day and made 554/925 uncorrected on 35lbs of boost. I usually see 45-46psi wot on the street, so I would guess this to be a 570hp daily driver. Another thanks to HSP and ATP!!! Thanks guys!

don't lie it made 739:D :rofl: