How to remove oil cooler elbow???

57ringo

Oct 4, 2015
Emporia ks
I've got a 2007.5 cab & chassis duramax that the elbow on the oil cooler is leaking so I've got the 5 bolts out that hold the oil cooler on but on this one, there is a pipe that bolts to the top of the elbow running up the back of the engine with 1 bolt and with the bolt removed, it's held in place by a bracket on the back of the engine which you can't even see let alone get to. How am I suppose to move the pipe out of the way so I can get to the upper nuts holding the elbow the to block or the cooler??? Every video I've watched or info I've read didn't show the attaching pipe to the elbow. Even a local GM mechanic hadn't seen one with the pipe in it. Any help?

Tothemax

xgmtech
Oct 16, 2014
new york
picture.php

that pipe is on all 2007.5-2010 lmm's

57ringo

Oct 4, 2015
Emporia ks
I took the glow plug relay off and reached down behind the engine and took 1 bolt & 1 nut off so I could remove the bracket and got the line out of the way. Next I had to remove a stud that bolts the transmission to the adapter plate ( bell housing) so the elbow would clear.....it was sticking out past the plate so the elbow would not slide past it. I'm thinking all the time how I'd like to find the engineer that designed this to kick him right in the balls with the force of George Brett's home run swing. After finally getting the cooler loose from the water pump outlet pipe, I got the cooler out but no way will the pipe come out without removing the motor mount it looks like so I cleaned both ends while it was up there. I'm ready to go back together now wondering just how bad it will be getting the cooler and elbow in place without messing up the orings on the cooler & the square rubber on the elbow. Should I lube the square rubber on the elbow or leave it dry?