how to check lifters and cam

Teamvi

Oct 26, 2011
is there anything that you can do to check the cam and lifters without pulling the cam out? I have one head off cause the headgasket got put on upside down was wondering what are the signs of a messed up lifter or cam? thanks

torqued2dmax

Mar 26, 2017
Brookville, PA
Roller lifters seldom have problems at these rpms , and dont wear lobes because of roller . You can put a dowel indicator on valves to compare lift . Are you having problems other than gasket ?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
horrible ticking/knocking, lets of metal in the oil filter, loose rocker way out of spec, feel like its missing on a cyl or it may even sound likes its on 7 cyl with a back knock/tick.

it will be blatantly obvious if its shot. if its just starting to go, you will soon hear/see it. when they go, its generally from a roller flat spotting or a cam that wasnt harden correctly and its wearing through.

if you want to be sure, pull the lifters and look down the bore at the cam lobe. anything else is speculation and crossing fingers on first fire up. thats assuming you really think there is a bad lifter/cam. its not likely but it does and has happen.

Teamvi

Oct 26, 2011
Ok i ll pull the lifter up. Any trick to pullin it and putting it back in? Put it back in dry or with oil

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
long as the head is off, its easy. use a magnet pen and pull it out. clean it up and put some fresh 15w40 back on it before dropping back in. doesnt have to soak, just a coating on it.

Teamvi

Oct 26, 2011
Head is off on that side, do you have to pull that metal keeper or do the slide out threw it?

Teamvi

Oct 26, 2011
alright. thanks. hope my lifter dont have a flap spot. if it does who sells lifters? truck has 160k lbz

torqued2dmax

Mar 26, 2017
Brookville, PA
Did you check the ends of the push rod , did you put it on a flat surface to check for straightness ? And if you have the rare flat spot on roller you probably have more problems than just the lifter , unless you found it very soon after it happened . I hope you did!

Columbus450

Aug 24, 2017
Louisiana
A flat lifter will eat up at cam shaft in no time, diesels are usually good for not wearing out rollers due to their rpm range

Compared to a gasoline engine I had to replace a cam twice in two years on a hemi due to junky lifters and cam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk