LB7: How much HP?

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
Sounds good thanks ... So If I run the Edge on level 5 @ 125hp setting on the Stock Alli it should be ok ?

"Should" being the key word there, guys have hurt their transmissions on that setting. And if you aren't the original owner and the transmission has been previously abused with too much power you could easily limp it.

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
So can I get away with a transmission kit ? or does it have to be a built tranny to get there?

Like I said you should be okay on the stock transmission. The TransGo Jr kit isn't worth it on a 5 speed allison and the full TransGo kit requires removal and tear down of the trans. Not sure what other "transmission kit" you meant since the installation of kits like the SunCoast Stage 3 and SunCoast Stage 4 leave you with a built trans.

BerndtC426

Sep 7, 2012
Sebastopol CA
So is there a check list for 500 horsepower? Like step one, exhaust, step 2 intake including horn and so on? After reading this post 500 sounds good to me. New to the diesel world but loving it so far.

AubleAK

Aug 5, 2011
Glennallen, AK
So is there a check list for 500 horsepower? Like step one, exhaust, step 2 intake including horn and so on? After reading this post 500 sounds good to me. New to the diesel world but loving it so far.

I went efi, exhaust, intake, trans, lift pump, then bigger tunes. If I were to do it again, I'd go exhaust trans, lift pump, efi live, and Swiss cheese the air box.

BerndtC426

Sep 7, 2012
Sebastopol CA
I was reading that the stock Allison clutches can usually handle more power but its the lack of pressure when applying the clutches that gets you..oh and of course the stock converter. I have an ATS triple disc converter in mine with factory clutches. Looking into the ATS co-pilot. Anyone think that can handle 500 horsepower? So exhaust is first for sure then..

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
stock clutches wont last near as long as going with a good aftermarket clutch like altos. Will it hold? yes. how long? depends on your driving style and tuning. Even if you gave a full run down of exactly how your gunna drive it and the tuning, there is still no definite answer as you have surpassed known expectations of those clutches.

AubleAK

Aug 5, 2011
Glennallen, AK
I was reading that the stock Allison clutches can usually handle more power but its the lack of pressure when applying the clutches that gets you..oh and of course the stock converter. I have an ATS triple disc converter in mine with factory clutches. Looking into the ATS co-pilot. Anyone think that can handle 500 horsepower? So exhaust is first for sure then..

Stay away from a co pilot, save your money and have a reputable builder put a kit in your trans and be done with it.

BerndtC426

Sep 7, 2012
Sebastopol CA
stock clutches wont last near as long as going with a good aftermarket clutch like altos. Will it hold? yes. how long? depends on your driving style and tuning. Even if you gave a full run down of exactly how your gunna drive it and the tuning, there is still no definite answer as you have surpassed known expectations of those clutches.

Okay thanks. I like that you suggested a company for the build. Being new I don't know which are good products and which I should stay away from.