How many of you guys run Amsoil?

TIM Z

Screwed by 0087s
Jan 17, 2009
Navarre, OH
I became a "preferred customer" and bought Amsoil For my my DMAX and the Wife's Tahoe.

I agree its hard not to change the oil for 15,000. I will probably change around 7500-10,000 depending on how it looks.

Diesel oil scares me due to all the soot.

But one thing did influence my purchase besides all the great stories i ve heard.

I work at the Timken reaserch center ( yes, rollerbearing, steel, alt. energy )
and the scientists in the Lube lab have tested Amsoil against, Mobil, Valvoline, pennsoil exc.

The amsoil came out on top. lots of guys at work swear by it.

Our vehicles are parked in an unheat garage and start very well in cold weather.

But i just dont think i will spend another 200$ to change oil in both vehicles again. Frequent oil changes as Tony said are the key to engine longevity.

My dads 96 suburban- vortec 350 has 270,000 smoke free miles on Rotella 15w-40 since new.

GMC_2002_Dmax

The Still Master
If you were a wholesale customer you would be paying way less for that oil change. Tell me exactly what you pay for an oil change filter and oil and lets do some math.

I purchase the oil at Tractor Supply, 2.5/gal for $26.99.

I buy all of my filters, they are BALDWINS in case prices.

I last bought 12 Allison spin on filters, 6 oil filters, 6 fuel filters, all delivered for less than $200.

I didn't ask the exact breakdown as one of my customers handles my filter needs as i have not found better prices than his.

It just seems that everything I have read about AMSOIL is what AMSOIL claims and that they have refused to pay for the tests that MOBIL, VALVOLINE, and other oil companies have paid to certify the oil does what it claims.

Plus I am against the whole Pyramid Marketing scheme that surrounds AMSOIL.

:rolleyes:

Dirtbikindad393

Nov 2, 2008
Moorpark, CA
I purchase the oil at Tractor Supply, 2.5/gal for $26.99.

I buy all of my filters, they are BALDWINS in case prices.

I last bought 12 Allison spin on filters, 6 oil filters, 6 fuel filters, all delivered for less than $200.

I didn't ask the exact breakdown as one of my customers handles my filter needs as i have not found better prices than his.

It just seems that everything I have read about AMSOIL is what AMSOIL claims and that they have refused to pay for the tests that MOBIL, VALVOLINE, and other oil companies have paid to certify the oil does what it claims.

Plus I am against the whole Pyramid Marketing scheme that surrounds AMSOIL.

:rolleyes:

That is fair enough you have a good filter connection. I don't want to have the great oil debate. It sounds like your happy with what you do and that is totally cool. I was the same way for 30 years until my son and I started racing motorcycles and using Amsoil in the bikes. When my son started winning and we didn't have the spooge coming out of his pipes and the top ends looked fairly new after a season of harsh racing here in the desert I took notice from there and started trying it in my cars. Then I changed a little, which was hard for me, growing up a 3k mile oil change guy. It took me 2 years to change my thought process on oil changes. I will never go back now. I understand where you come from and I appreciate it. Thats what got me 220k trouble free miles on my last chev truck. 1995 bought it brand new and sold it 10 years later for 5k when I got my Duramax.

Just so you know though its not a pyramid scheme the guy at the top has to keep working and selling to make money. If an upper guy doesn't maintain a certain level of personal sales he loses his ability to make the very small percentage he may make off of a dealer he signed up.

A pyramid scheme you suck others in and you get paid for doing nothing and those below you keep getting others sucked in so those at the top make the pyramid money.

Last edited:

CancerPipe

Aug 8, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
Amsoil may give you extended mileage, but i would rather change my oil every 5k or so with mobil 1 and a wix filter. I can get bot at the parts store when i need them. Frequent oil changes are cheap insurance, and considering the cost of amsoil, dont realy cost much more.

slowlmm

Mar 2, 2008
so cal
they sell amsoil at the local auobachs car stores around here @21.00 a gal

i ran it in my old motor in my lmm for 56k miles untill the motor blew. imo my motor should of blown long before it did. did the amsoil help duno. I do know that all my bearings cam shaft and other parts had very very little wear for the abuse my truck went trough i was suprised it looked so good. I changed my oil at every 8k miles. Im now running amsoil in my new motor with 3qts of lucas. only time will tell how it holds up. so far its made my oil psi nice and high:) and truck runs smoother

AMSOIL says you can go 15k or one year one an oil change for the typical use of these trucks. I always recommend doing an oil sample, if not before you switch, at least midstream to make sure there aren't any unforseen problems before you start running longer intervals. OA can lend people to quite extended intervals, especially with bypass. My past experience could have sent me beyond 25k per year, but I like to change it once a year for heck of it anyway.
Some people have gone 50, 60 plus. The synthetic basestock basically does not breakdown, it's the depletion of additves or the build up of sub micron materials(dirty oil) that leands to the eventual oil change. Those that went these long intervals had to replace the test oil and the oil in the filters when they are change out.(Every 15k with the Ea full flow and every 20-30k with the Ea bypass) This allows for some additive replenishment and longer life.
I just signed up as a vendor today, hopefully will show in the next day or two. The preferred customer is a great way to buy, but not necessary. Can get you more details on that via PM if interested. Definitely don't want to pay retail on their website:)
Money is concern for many and if changing oil every 5k is what you're going to do, then synthetics probably aren't the way to go. Dino oils serve that purpose just fine.

JustinD

Plow Truck
Nov 21, 2008
Tiverton Rhode Island
I am going to install Mag Hytec cover, I can buy Amsoil from a friend of mine who is a dealer, what should I run?? I know 75w90 is the correct weight but there are so many different grades and names they have I just want a synthetic gear oil.

DIESELMX207

Feb 23, 2009
I run Amsoil in my '03 Duramax engine and tranny and ALSO in my motocross race bikes. I've been racing motocross for 16 years and working on engines longer and haven't seen a chemical perform better. It makes the engines run smoother and we have actually seen slight horsepower gains using Amsoil. It does not break down like conventional oil, or even competitor's synthetics. However, there are a few companies that come close, including Royal Purple and a few others...

Dizzle 3200

Feb 16, 2009
Henderson, CO
I ran Amsoil in an '02 5.3L for 140K hard a** miles changing it every 25-30K, never heard a lifter tick and never burned or leaked a drop. Will be changing the Dmax over to it as soon as I get time. Don't think I'll let it go the 25-30K though, probably 10-15K. Just my 2 cents.