How many of you guys run Amsoil?

Dmax Grizzly

Always Learning
Dec 26, 2007
Monroeville,Ohio
I had an offer to be a "preferred customer from this guy and I went along with it a week ago. I have it in the rear end with the Severe Gear 75-110 but I don't know about the mileage guys go with the engine oil along with the price. Is it worth it to start using it? Thank's, Adam

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
I run Amsoil in my Engine, Front and Rear Diff's, and Transfer Case. My transmission fluid is Transynd

Dmax Grizzly

Always Learning
Dec 26, 2007
Monroeville,Ohio
How many miles do you guys normally go before an oil change? The guy said he goes 15k on his Dmax before he changes it. Wow! I"m not sure if I could do that. Talk me into believing that it is o.k to use it for my truck. He say's I'd save in the long run.Thank's, Adam

2500HeavyDuty

Book 'em, Danno!
Feb 14, 2008
Katy, Tx
www.myspace.com
i got a compete amsoil dual bypass filtration system sitting in my garage with syn oil too.

you can go a long time with that kit. im just too lazy to instal it, thinking of selling it actually.

Dura-Ration

You Shoulda GotA Diesel
Jun 20, 2008
Escatawpa, Ms.
Amsoil

I use amsoil syn. TBN 12 15w-40 with a EA052 oil filter and Motorguard oil bypass Toilet Paper filter for 10,000 miles then change oil and filters. I am going to sample the oil at 10,000 miles shortly, to see what the condition the oil is in before I change it again. I may go longer if the TBN is good enough.

msjdgman

Jan 13, 2009
SW Michigan
I too recieved the offer, and while it appears that many of you are running the Amsoil products with great success, I just have to think on this awhile. 22 years ago where I worked, Amsoil products were directly related to failures of 2 Cummins Triple Nickels, and 2 Cat 3406 motors.

I know....that was a long time ago, and products have obviously dramatically changed for the better, but it`s hard to get that sick feeling of dying motors out of my head.

Huntinducks82

Apr 21, 2008
Centerville MD
I run 15 40 amsoil and change it every 10,000 miles. I had a dodge buddy that sent a sample away every 5000 miles and according to amsoil it was good for about 30 000 miles. I personally will never run the same oil over 10k.

GMC_2002_Dmax

The Still Master
JMHO,

I have only run dino oil in all of my cars, trucks, etc.

My 2002 soots the oil so badly and so quickly that I am not comfortable keeping it in there for more than 3-4K miles.

I buy a 2.5 gal/jug at Tractor Supply for $26.99 and it is enough for an oil change.

If you add up the extra cost for the synthetic oil with shipping, the price is probably double or triple, but again, the oil is left in there much longer with the synthetics so the thinking is it evens out in the long run and the other argument is that over time the additive package in synthetics will break down negating the cost offset initially as it won't last forever no matter what Amsoil claims.

If you have to send the oil out for analysis it costs almost as much as changing the oil, so where is the cost savings then and by the time you get the sample back if it's no good and should have been changed you are screwed somwhat.

My last 1987 GMC PU TBI-350/T400 4x4 went 272,000 miles trouble free and when I sold it in 1999 the guy was still driving it three years later well over 325K miles and never burned a drop of oil. I plowed, towed, worked it every day all on dino oil at 3-4K change intervals.

I would like to be a believer, but I am not and probably will never be, maybe because they never test it to the same standards as the other companies do.

;)

Last edited:

JakeGMCHD

May 17, 2008
I run Amsoil in everything but the radiator. I've replaced all the fluids in my vehicles with Amsoil. Have been using Amsoil for 10 years.

LongMax

Long beds do it better...
Jan 5, 2009
Ft.Worth , Texas
amsoil

I have been running amsoil for 30k in my 06 duramax. I started by changing every 5k now go 10K b/t oil changes. The word from amsoil is take amsoil 15-40 and filter 25K then change oil filter with new amsoil filter. My dealer does this with his gas engine and had several testimonials of diesel users going 25K on oil and filter, just change filter , top off oil and keep going. There is one story of big rig going 300K plus on same oil with filter changes every 25K- engine was broken down to prove no wear on vital engine parts- looked like new. I'm big on oil changes so prob. will never be able to change filter with out also changing oil- but science shows that amsoil will not break down.

GMC_2002_Dmax

The Still Master
I have been running amsoil for 30k in my 06 duramax. I started by changing every 5k now go 10K b/t oil changes. The word from amsoil is take amsoil 15-40 and filter 25K then change oil filter with new amsoil filter. My dealer does this with his gas engine and had several testimonials of diesel users going 25K on oil and filter, just change filter , top off oil and keep going. There is one story of big rig going 300K plus on same oil with filter changes every 25K- engine was broken down to prove no wear on vital engine parts- looked like new. I'm big on oil changes so prob. will never be able to change filter with out also changing oil- but science shows that amsoil will not break down.

I would still need convincing.........;)

I guess the old school thinking was change the oil every year regardless of how little miles, my feeling is that diesels still stock and not turned up may benefit from the extended change, but turned up they soot the oil quickly and the soot needs to be removed.

Now you could say that getting a bypass filter and using expensive AMSOIL filters will negate that argument, but I usually trade up every 3-4 years, I didn't because I was not impressed with the LLY's so I kept my 2002 and bought a 2007 LBZ instead.

My LBZ has 23K on it and I use Rotella 15W-40 dino oil at 4K intervals.

I would like to be convinced that AMSOIL is the holy grail of oils, but the added cost for me is not justifiable based on my past experiences with regular old oil.

Based on the web pricing an Oil/Filter change using AMSOIL is around $130.00 WITH SHIPPING, I can do 4 regular oil changes for the same money.

:)

Last edited:

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
last oil change we had close to 8k on amsoil 15w-40 and a k&n fliter. we dropped it and i couldn't feel any grit and dilution in it, still wasn't a dark black at all. that's with 8 sled pulls and beating on it everyday with a lot more fuel than stock for about 10 months straight. I changed my grandfather's stock LMM the same weekend that had 5k on a dealership oil change and it came out very very black and diluted. they were supposed to put synthetic in but i don't think they did. I bought 2 cases of amsoil CJ-4 5w-40 and amsoil EA52 filters and changed both trucks....i will probably change the LMM again around 7k or at least check it, and will wait for a blown motor to change it in IronHyde. :D the filters and oil are "guaranteed" to 25k miles by amsoil when used together, and i trust them, their test results are amazing. I setup a commercial account and get everything cheaper than a dealer can so i sell back to my local dealer and make money when he may need something quick.

Dirtbikindad393

Nov 2, 2008
Moorpark, CA
I would still need convincing.........;)

I guess the old school thinking was change the oil every year regardless of how little miles, my feeling is that diesels still stock and not turned up may benefit from the extended change, but turned up they soot the oil quickly and the soot needs to be removed.

Now you could say that getting a bypass filter and using expensive AMSOIL filters will negate that argument, but I usually trade up every 3-4 years, I didn't because I was not impressed with the LLY's so I kept my 2002 and bought a 2007 LBZ instead.

My LBZ has 23K on it and I use Rotella 15W-40 dino oil at 4K intervals.

I would like to be convinced that AMSOIL is the holy grail of oils, but the added cost for me is not justifiable based on my past experiences with regular old oil.

Based on the web pricing an Oil/Filter change using AMSOIL is around $130.00 WITH SHIPPING, I can do 4 regular oil changes for the same money.

:)

If you were a wholesale customer you would be paying way less for that oil change. Tell me exactly what you pay for an oil change filter and oil and lets do some math.

racinmike77

Sep 14, 2008
MD
I have tried many different types of gear oil in a race application. 9in ford rear with a spool and quickchange. So far I thought amsoil looked the worst upon draining however no analysis was done. FWIW I prefer valvoline.