How it's made - Duramax

coker6303

Keep Calm and Chive On!!
Aug 6, 2009
Houston, TX
I'm sure this is a repost from sometime in the past, but I stumbled across it after talking to Josh and looking up the induction hardening they do to the top of the cylinders. Thought it was a good read.

Also didn't know that every duramax is dyno ran for quality control. Crazy! Cummins selects random engines for hot test runs, and i believe powerstroke does the same.

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/features/chevy/1012dp_how_its_made_the_duramax_diesel_engine/

----------------------------------------------------------------

Ten years ago, nobody knew what a 6.6L Duramax engine was. We couldn't tell how they worked, how long they would last, or the power output they'd be capable of making. Ten years, and more than 1.3 million engines later-we know the answers to all those questions.

As a Diesel Power reader, you've seen hundreds of stories in our pages discussing the Duramax. We've tested it, talked about its design, and showed you how to modify it. The one piece of the story you've been missing, however, has been how these engines are built.

Where The Magic Happens Duramax engines are manufactured in Moraine, Ohio, by DMAX Ltd. This is a joint venture between General Motors and Isuzu. When originally conceived, DMAX Ltd. was 60 percent owned by Isuzu and 40 percent owned by GM. Today, that ratio has swapped, and GM is the majority owner.

There are a number of things that make the DMAX facility different from other GM engine plants. The most significant is that it hot-tests 100 percent of the engines it produces. That means every 6.6L engine is run on a dyno before it ever goes in a truck. No other GM engine mass produced in North America gets that treatment-nor do the 6.7L Cummins or 6.7L Power Stroke engines.

In The Plant We spent an entire day in the DMAX plant with our cameras and got to ask all the questions you'd ever want answers to. The facility is huge and well laid out. The raw materials enter the west end of the building and progress easterly as the blocks, heads, rods, and cranks are machined. The facility is well lit, safety oriented, and filled with workers who care about what they're building. The only two things we weren't allowed to photograph were the machines used to adjust each engine's valvetrain, and the dyno cells.

Watching the system that sets the Duramax valve lash is like watching a Terminator robot perform open heart surgery on another Terminator. Each engine's rotating assembly is spun multiple times, and a series of what look to be laser-range finders and electronically driven sockets adjust the valve lash.

The dyno cell is even more impressive. Each engine is placed on a stand that slides into its own dyno room. The engines are fed preheated oil and coolant to bring them up to operating temperature. The dyno spins the engine over to start it-there's no need to use the starter motor. Each engine is run on diesel to ensure its full-rated power output. We don't know if we'll ever be able to stop smiling after witnessing dozens of Duramax engines making dyno pulls!

DMAX LTD: By The Numbers Location: Moraine, Ohio Plant size: 584,000 square feet Employees: 415 hourly, 117 salaried Union: IUE-CWA Local 755 Year facility opened: 1999 Beginning of production: July 17, 2000 Production capacity: 200,000 engines a year Number of engines built on day of our visit: 320 Total number of Duramax engines built: More than 1.3 million

Thank You, DMAX! Our special thanks go out to Tom Read of GM Powertrain, and Maho Mitsuya, Steve James, and Courtney Strickler of DMAX Ltd. for making our visit possible. We also want to thank the men and women of the IUE-CWA Local 755 union for letting us come into their workplace and allowing us to share their success story with our readers. Keep up the great work!

POWER Freak

Nov 20, 2008
Idaho
Thanks for sharing, very cool article. This part is surprising to me...

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/featu..._made_the_duramax_diesel_engine/photo_25.html

I used to be a Bosch certified common rail tech and if I remember correctly starting with the LLY Bosch started sending injectors with "IQA codes" (injected quantity adjustment). You input the code with a scan tool to help the ecm electronicly balance the injectors.

I have slept since then but they started that with the 6.7 Cummins too.

onebaddmaxxx

Feb 22, 2009
Cecil County Md
The only thing is, iv replaced countless amount of injectors at the dealer and never programmed an IQA. A friend changed an injector in his lbz and it threw a code. I flashed it with the tech2 and it was fine afterwards....but realistically, how are they supposed to be programmed if you switch nozzles? i mean really.......

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
I did a ecm swap on a LMM. Truck idles rough. Had to relearn the injectors and it cleared it up. So they must need something.

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
The injector programming started with the LBZ that is what the laser etching on an LBZ injector is,the IQA code.

SAATR

F-FNG
Dec 25, 2014
Louisiana
Cat does the same thing with all the newer electronic engines. Swap the injectors, upload each injector's trim files to the ECM, and let her eat.

POWER Freak

Nov 20, 2008
Idaho
The only thing is, iv replaced countless amount of injectors at the dealer and never programmed an IQA. A friend changed an injector in his lbz and it threw a code. I flashed it with the tech2 and it was fine afterwards....but realistically, how are they supposed to be programmed if you switch nozzles? i mean really.......

A Bosch bench will create new codes when an injector is rebuilt but keep in mind they are designed to be kept with stock tips (with small variation). If you did put on a larger nozzle it would likely fail the injected fuel tests and the bench would refuse to give a new code anyways. I believe this is why some companies (DDP in this case) refuse to sell an LBZ nozzle over 75hp without you sending in your bodies for manual balancing. I can't really speak for trucks after an LMM as I've been out of the loop for years.