How did you break in your newly built tranny?

SIKDMAX

Highway Burnouts!
Sep 14, 2007
Central Coast, Cali
www.sikdmax.com
Looking for peoples opinions/procedures they followed for tuning after their transmission was built. Going with a SC4/1057 and some have said load up that race tune right away, Ive heard some people say go back to stock and let it learn. Others have said start with a mild tune (Paint suggested 100hp) and then up from there.

Mike, what say you?

See you bright and early Wed :D

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
I'm not the :mikelsheep: man.

But, we loaded the biggest tune we had in Wendy at the time as soon as Pat got home :driving:

LarryJewell

Back with his honey :)
Jan 21, 2007
San Angelo
I babied it a lot the first few weeks, I am just now starting to really push it again, but I would say that my shifting is coming around good, and it appears to really be holding good.

I have not done any boosted launches since the rebuild last month, Just a few WOT's while already moving. :baby:

02freighttrain

Team Salad Bartender
Aug 13, 2006
sootville, Fl
Break-in, Whats that? Oh,....:confused: I'll bet it's seeing if you can break it before the credit card bill comes in...........:D

Brake Pad's and Piston rings are the only things that I ever considered some time before WFO. Actually, Piston rings seat pretty fast with a lot of cylinder pressure.

Drive it like you stole it.

Turbotug

BEER SLAYER
Sep 3, 2006
Phoenix
I drove back to Phx from L.A. with it set to KILL. Slowly added throttle over the next couple days.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I drove back to Phx from L.A. with it set to KILL. Slowly added throttle over the next couple days.

That's a good way to do it. Load the program you will use every day ( I run 500 hp ) and drive it easy as the shifts start to clear up drive it more aggressively and so on. The new trucks learn fast on their own.

kodiak

Sep 25, 2007
Drove from Mikes to Vegas...hooked up to my 20,000 LB trailer, and hit the east coast running 450HP tune.

ecc_33

Aug 10, 2006
Amanda, Ohio
Easy is NOT in my vocabulary....As soon as I got home from the tranny shop i was running for the lap top loading up the "big" tune :D

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
That's what i'm doing right now. I started on the economy tune but quickly decided to just slowly get into it with my +100hp tune and once that is doing good I'll start tweaking my hottest tune and running it again.

tinman22

Feb 17, 2007
Stillwater NJ
ran the super chips from mikes back to san diego. 2 days later loaded pats race tune then drove back to jersey on the race tune. not a single problem after 25K miles

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
There is no problem with running a full 500hp tune, but once you feel how hard the transmission downshifts are and how weird the flared shifts feel you'll know. Even if you just load the big tune in just go easy. Try to purposely hit the 405 for its traffic. Thats what I did(not purposely:D) and by the time I got back to Chris's house the transmission had relearned fairly well. Just take it easy your transmission will thank you.:hug: Have fun with it

2wd_Sled_Puller

Heavy Equiment mechanic
Feb 19, 2008
Florida
I was only easy on it for about 2 hours to let the VB to fill back up with fluid all the way. After that it was time for the track.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
I was only easy on it for about 2 hours to let the VB to fill back up with fluid all the way. After that it was time for the track.

Kurt but all you did was replace the stock TC with another stock TC and install the Transgo Shift kit. You didn't really up the line pressure when comparing to a fully built transmission. Im not taking anything away from your transmission by any means but your relearning process was not as drastic when going from a stock transmission to a Stage IV/Aftermarket converter.

2wd_Sled_Puller

Heavy Equiment mechanic
Feb 19, 2008
Florida
Yes Paint u are correct i should have posted that i beilve. I didnt see where that would make that big of a differnce until now. Because i did take my c2's apart and have to assemble everything back together. But like Paint pointed out it did not increase my line pressure all that much

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Yes Paint u are correct i should have posted that i beilve. I didnt see where that would make that big of a differnce until now. Because i did take my c2's apart and have to assemble everything back together. But like Paint pointed out it did not increase my line pressure all that much

It did not increase your line pressure at all. What it did do was leak main line pressure ( which is greater ) into the control main circuit ( which is less )

WanaDmaxsub

Junior Member W/gray hair
Feb 17, 2007
SIKDMAX
Once Mike is done with it, just wait until about 4pm on a weekday, then drive home. You tranny will do a lot of "learning" on the 405 and the 101. By the time you get to Ventura there won't be to much it hasn't seen....other than the cruise control. Who ever said that your tranny can't learn on the freeway has never been in LA during the week...;)