Horse-torque Duramax vs. Cummins

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
I see just as many cummins blocks fail as duramax cranks break

Yep I have not seen a duramax top half of the block separate form the bottom half at the cam shaft area yet. but I've seen quite a few videos of Cummins blocks doing that. sure they are at a crazy power level and over a 130+ psi of boost

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
I’m gonna dream for a minute and see what anybody else cares to come up with if we were to be brainstorming a mechanical Dmax motor.

You’d have to...mount the pump, route high pressure lines in accordance to your camshaft firing order? Match a pump gear to your camshaft gear (not sure how you’d figure that). Fit whatever style injectors you wanted into a head, say custom screw in cups, with top feed mechanical injectors. Eliminate water pump, Fuel lines, belt driven lift pump? Belt driven oil pump? runner intakes, custom front engine cover list goes on and on.

Say you did all that and were able to turn the fuel way down on the pump so you could start out testing at a small horsepower number on stockish motors to figure out your setup before having a bagillion dollars in pistons, rods, girdles, heads, blocks.

Once you were ready for Big Power you’d have all of the years of mechanical tractors and cummins piston, injector, etc, etc, to cross reference to help make big powa?

Hypothetically speaking of course :confused:

I remember quite a while back some crazy Norwegian was doing this...

Dave c

Jul 7, 2013
Seems like us duramax guys are still behind the cummins guys when it comes to big horsepower competition trucks, im speaking from sled pulling experience not dyno numbers or drag racing. What are we lacking? Just not enough R&D? More years of testing different nozzles, nozzle spray angles, pistons, heads, etc. etc....would a switch to a mechanical fuel system aid in bringing us closer together?

Just creating this topic to get a different style discussion going on with guys who have expierence in big horsepower applications to see what everybody else is thinking.

Is it more cost effective to just build a cummins? Are they a better performing powerplant at 1500hp+?

Interested to hear what you guys have to say :thumb:

If anything duramax guys are ahead, just gotta know where to look.

https://youtu.be/Kh5DECgYVA8

Takes a lot of power to go that fast in a CR fuel system with 50 psi No similar Cummins is even close

Dave c

Jul 7, 2013
Top fuel is just over a second faster , does that mean you can almost make 12,000 hp?

Dont be ignorant. It takes way more hp to accelerate than you think. Heavy truck accelerates at a much slower rate.

The rail makes 2400hp last i knew, but plans to make over 3000 are in process.

Muff

Just Learning
Oct 7, 2013
Butler, Pa
Top fuel is just over a second faster , does that mean you can almost make 12,000 hp?

Dont be ignorant. It takes way more hp to accelerate than you think. Heavy truck accelerates at a much slower rate.

How much does the rail weigh? :confused:

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
He’s not going to answer. Just like he never shares any valuable info about anything ever.

He’s just here to show us all how well he can swing from Wades nuts to Gale banks nuts and back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Muff

Just Learning
Oct 7, 2013
Butler, Pa
He’s not going to answer. Just like he never shares any valuable info about anything ever.

He’s just here to show us all how well he can swing from Wades nuts to Gale banks nuts and back.

Lmao yesssss

Dave c

Jul 7, 2013

Why do i have to be the info guy, i told you where to look.

Weight last i knew was Around 2500lbs, Gale is One smart dude, with a ton of experience and knowledge. Wade is like gale, but actually out there racing and pushing diesel tech forward. That is what we need more of.

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Why do i have to be the info guy, i told you where to look.

Weight last i knew was Around 2500lbs, Gale is One smart dude, with a ton of experience and knowledge. Wade is like gale, but actually out there racing and pushing diesel tech forward. That is what we need more of.

So 1600 Horsepower being allowed to free rev?? Yawn.

Have you ever attended a sled pull where guys like Kyle are putting over 2000 Horsepower to work? Grunting and growling and being brought to its knees?

Gale is brilliant! He’s figured out how to snag huge government contracts with insane amount of funding to promote himself. All the while selling lame ass “six gun” tuners and other garbage like that. I don’t remember the last time I heard mention of someone running a banks part that was competing at any level or doing something ground breaking.

I agree the Duramax world needs more people pushing the envelope as you say. It needs less cheerleaders and nut swingers though.....

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal

The rail isn’t impressive.