Home built remote turbo mount

PAT

EASY DAY
Aug 21, 2011
your back yard
Just curious if anyone has built a remote mount turbo setup like this in their garage. I know Trent and other have kits like this available. But I'm asking the weekend fab warrior if any of you have built similar. Seems to me that if a kit like this could be built, the intake manifold could be redesigned in a fashion similar to banks "big hoss" and other designs. I'm no engineer, nor am a guy who has tested many intake manifolds. However, to me, it seems like this intake runner design could be upgraded by... A LOT!
Has anyone built one like this? Guys are building them for LS and modular platforms like they are going out of style. they do it for cheap. And seemingly its not very difficult.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341251820.391250.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1341251838.393608.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1341251871.906837.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341251820.391250.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341251820.391250.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 228
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341251838.393608.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341251838.393608.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 246
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341251871.906837.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341251871.906837.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 299

whitelmmmax

Smaller than stock
Jul 26, 2011
lake charles, la
Just my thinking but wouldnt you want pretty close to equal amounts of piping coming off both sides of the motor? Getting some ideas for the 5.3?:woott:

Trotorx2

Sep 21, 2006
Beaumont, Texas
Looks good. Seems like the right bank would have more back pressure with the exhaust from the left pushing it back into the cylinder head. Are they still making the STS kits? Couldn't one of those be modded for better flow?

White Duramax

Jun 25, 2008
ohio
I built my own side mount turbo setup. My left bank pipe comes around the front of the engine. Each bank has its own pipe to the turbo flange though, not dumped together.

PAT

EASY DAY
Aug 21, 2011
your back yard
Just my thinking but wouldnt you want pretty close to equal amounts of piping coming off both sides of the motor? Getting some ideas for the 5.3?:woott:

I'm not sure about the drive pressure and what not. Maybe an engineer can say something about that. The "log" portion of the exhaust in the pics I posted seem to be sub par on the design. I would have swept the outlets of the ds towards the turbo. So they don't hit a wall right out of the head.

PAT

EASY DAY
Aug 21, 2011
your back yard
Looks good. Seems like the right bank would have more back pressure with the exhaust from the left pushing it back into the cylinder head. Are they still making the STS kits? Couldn't one of those be modded for better flow?

They do make them. But I was talking about for a dmax though. The sts design are cool. But i don't think they have room for improvement.

PAT

EASY DAY
Aug 21, 2011
your back yard
I built my own side mount turbo setup. My left bank pipe comes around the front of the engine. Each bank has its own pipe to the turbo flange though, not dumped together.

What are your IAT's like? With that cross pipe, I'd think the underhood temps would be pretty high.

pdennis

Jul 1, 2012
There are some people who do not actually appreciate the use of custom and home built options for this but I would still like to consider them as things that work and quite great at that.

And with the available things at your disposal, it would be more helpful to make them usable at such a constant rate.

ChevyTruck

Boats an Hoes!
Oct 19, 2011
Newark, De
There is a few people on PerformanceTrucks.net that have built there own remote mount and front mount setups. I'd get on there for your LS questions.

Honestly I wouldn't over look the ProCharger set ups. ;)

White Duramax

Jun 25, 2008
ohio
What are your IAT's like? With that cross pipe, I'd think the underhood temps would be pretty high.

I have all of the hot pipes wrapped. Intake temps are usually within 20-30 degrees of outside temp. This is pulling, I don't really drive it on the street anymore. The wrap makes a big difference.

dmaxvaz

wannabe puller
Nov 22, 2006
METRO DETROIT
Just curious if anyone has built a remote mount turbo setup like this in their garage. I know Trent and other have kits like this available. But I'm asking the weekend fab warrior if any of you have built similar. Seems to me that if a kit like this could be built, the intake manifold could be redesigned in a fashion similar to banks "big hoss" and other designs. I'm no engineer, nor am a guy who has tested many intake manifolds. However, to me, it seems like this intake runner design could be upgraded by... A LOT!
Has anyone built one like this? Guys are building them for LS and modular platforms like they are going out of style. they do it for cheap. And seemingly its not very difficult.

View attachment 23467View attachment 23468View attachment 23469
I have built a turbo setup close to what you have in the pics, but i used schedule 10 stainless on the log manifold. its not cheap or easy to build. This was a lq4/s475 build in a 2002 1500 gmc on 37s. He went out to the dunes and anihilated everyone at the drags (trucks without paddles). He whooped me on the street with 60 less hp this past weekend too.

PAT

EASY DAY
Aug 21, 2011
your back yard
There is a few people on PerformanceTrucks.net that have built there own remote mount and front mount setups. I'd get on there for your LS questions.

Honestly I wouldn't over look the ProCharger set ups. ;)

i was talking about making a set up like this for a DURAMAX lol it seems like it would be a pretty cool setup and fun to build.

PAT

EASY DAY
Aug 21, 2011
your back yard
i bet if more people ran a remote mount on their dmax, a much better designed intake manifold would come out of the wood works. the intake runner style could be improved on IMHO.

Trotorx2

Sep 21, 2006
Beaumont, Texas
You know....you said you were getting out of diesels and going to gassers...thats why all the replies about gasser set ups! :rofl:

I would think that you would need to run 2 seperate exhaust pipes to the turbo. The one you showed in the pic I would think you would have problems with exhaust back pressure on the right side bank of cylinders.

PAT

EASY DAY
Aug 21, 2011
your back yard
You know....you said you were getting out of diesels and going to gassers...thats why all the replies about gasser set ups! :rofl:

I would think that you would need to run 2 seperate exhaust pipes to the turbo. The one you showed in the pic I would think you would have problems with exhaust back pressure on the right side bank of cylinders.

haha i know. but what can i say... i still have the bug :roflmao: still havent "officially" moved to the dark side yet.

tgebes

Livin' the Dream
Aug 23, 2011
Omaha Nebraska
I wouldnt expect your backpressure on the right bank to be much less than the left bank. Its an easy calculation the only unknown is the pressure and velocity through the pipes but when I say not much different Im saying in the realm of <10 psi probably <5 psi. I would say sweeping the right bank in would help a lot regarding the back pressure for that bank, that will be the source of your greatest viscious losses but having said all that, it looks really nice. Im impressed with the craftsmenship.