Holy harmonic balancer Batman!

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
It is recommended to use a new bolt when reinstalling the HB. But I have to say on my first wp job I reused the bolt. By the time I got to my 3rd water pump I replaced it.

Tightening sequence is tighten to 74 ft. Lbs. 2nd step is 105 degrees.

James taught me how to mark and count the points to get to 105 degrees.
Mark a bolt point to the washer and balancer. Then count 3 points and a valley clockwise.tightwn the bolt to the mark and you have 105 degrees. The washer shouldn't turn after the 74ft lbs. But if it does you still have the mark on the balancer to follow.

The new style bolt (2011+) does not require the torque angle sequence, also I recommend using some moly lube on the faces of the washer with that bolt....or just buy the ARP bolt or Fluidampr bolt and diamond shim kit, and be done with it. Never replace the bolt again.

Reactions: SoCalMike

JayhawkLB7

May 22, 2020
Ok - so just so I'm clear...I get that nut up to 74ft lbs...mark a point on the bolt to the washer and balancer...crank to 3 points + 1 valley clockwise and that should get me at 260 (or 285...whatever it is) as recommended? I just want to be sure I am doing this right. I've heard terrible things about not quite nailing this (IE: losing your shaft key or tearing the hell out of the balancer).

Thanks a lot guys. Also had a stripped 12mm on the backing nut so that took a while (had to go get a nut extractor and bury that on there to back it off).

SoCalMike

Dec 12, 2010
SoCal
Here this is exactly how it was explained to me. This is a better explanation than my other post.

"each point on the bolt is 30* (360* divided by 12 is 30*), the valley of the point is half way between each point (15*). so you mark a bolt point to the washer and balancer, then count 3 points and a valley counter clockwise and and mark that valley. boom, 105* 9/10 times the wash never turns after the 74ft lbs inital torque but still mark the balancer to be sure it doesnt turn"

JayhawkLB7

May 22, 2020
So I hit just over 74 on my initial - actually landed at 80. I still marked the balancer at 3 peaks, one valley to the clockwise of my nut mark, and cranked to that mark. The last crank was "quite heavy" before I hit my mark. Am I good here? I'm convinced I could crank it at least one more good quarter-engine-bay pull...but should I just leave it alone at this point?

I could not be a sucker and go buy an appropriate torque wrench I suppose. I'm just trying to not to get too deep in as I'm fairly certain I'll get this done just in time to take it in for new injectors. :sick:

SoCalMike

Dec 12, 2010
SoCal
As long as you followed the torquing sequence of 74ft. Lbs and then 105 degrees you will be fine.

Next time get a new bolt. Your not supposed to reuse bolts that are torque to yield.

JayhawkLB7

May 22, 2020
Oh son of a ******. I just got her fired up after 5-ish gallons of fresh dexcool...and whether it was my careless installation of it for the 5th time...or an improper o-ring from the fine folks at ACDelco...at any rate: the top of that bypass "y" pipe just started spraying like a cow pi$$ing on a flat rock. ARGH!!!!!!

The good news is: I'm at the point in my life where I can swap that out (or re-seat it in this case...hopefully) in about 20 minutes flat. Gawd that thing is such a crotchety pain in the arse.

JayhawkLB7

May 22, 2020
Mm-hmm...these things will happen. Luckily had an injector cup o-ring which is what I used last time. This time I use the AC Delco provided o-ring and it's just too flimsy.

Attachments

• 20210414_124719.jpg
    20210414_124719.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 40

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Its like Im re-reading my waterpump replacement thread on DP from 14-ish years ago..... :ROFLMAO:

I got that same exact coolant bath. :ROFLMAO:

darkness

Jul 15, 2009
vegas
Yup. That pipe is a pain. I pinched it on the second water pump on my ‘04. Picked up a couple injector o-rings after that lol.

JayhawkLB7

May 22, 2020
I went through various assortments of o-rings when that went bad a year ago. The injector cup o-ring thing is actually how I found this forum - someone had posted the same issues. I've now pre-ordered a dozen of them...just in case, haha.